Comic Vine Review: Does Batman 1989 Hold Up?

Started by johnnygobbs, Tue, 9 Dec 2014, 15:48

Previous topic - Next topic
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/does-it-hold-up-batman-1989/1100-150636/

SPOILER: It does!  :D

It's a good, positive piece and a nice change from all the negative online comments I read elsewhere attributing the film's enduring popularity to nostalgia alone.  In fact the writer, Corey Schroeder, appears to like the film to an even greater degree than he used to (whilst also stating that he was initially dreading a return to this film beforehand).

I agree with practically everything Schroeder says apart from the final suggestion that the film is 'style over substance', although even here he states that "the style is so striking and the substance still there enough to make it an extremely entertaining revisit."  :)
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Actually, it sounds about right. Though this is the very first time I've heard someone say that the Joker was an "unlikely role" for Jack Nicholson. Literally every other account described how it was almost too obvious of a pick. Though let's not forget Keaton. He's known as an all-purpose actor in today's world, but at one point, he was thought to only be a comedy actor. Not being around in 1989, I can't imagine the backlash against the casting news, in a pre-internet world for crying out loud. Though it seemed like any doubts about Keaton were suddenly silenced after the film hit, which is almost unbelievable.

Like it's been said, the original's status has only improved with time. What's universally considered a classic was once met with mixed reviews. I think that this one just got lumped in with all the action movies of the time, and people didn't fully appreciate the artistic value. By the time of Returns, people got the idea, and that actually got better reviews (despite being "darker").

I think it holds up better than any other Batman film. I've lost count of the number of times I've watched it.

There's a charm to Batman, a look and feel that alot of other films don't have. It's truly a timeless classic! The mere fact that articles are still being written about the film 25 years later is a testament to its durability. Even with the foray of superhero films these days, every single one of them owes a debt a gratitude to the Box-office champ of '89. Glad they mentioned Nicholson because if you really study his other roles, his performance of the Joker is actually quite unique, thrilling and dastardly.

Batman '89 will last forever and ever. It's a fact! :)

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Tue,  9 Dec  2014, 18:55
I think it holds up better than any other Batman film. I've lost count of the number of times I've watched it.

True dat.

That Batman 1989 VHS tape I got for my birthday in '89 got worn out! Good times.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."