TNBA Joker re-color, BTAS style

Started by The Laughing Fish, Thu, 2 Dec 2021, 05:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun,  5 Dec  2021, 04:07
Here is a picture comparing the shot from Holiday Knights to various Joker colours in the DCAU, including a combined mix of colours by the editor.

That's pretty cool.

Seeing the "Static Shock" example, reminds me that I either really need to hunt down "The Big Leagues", and "Hard as Nails" episodes online, or just break down and start buying the Static Shock season sets. I haven't seen those Static Shock episodes featuring the Joker, and Harley in quite a long time.

I agree, it's in my top ten favourite episodes. If Mr. Freeze's backstory is the most tragic of the series then Clock King's backstory is the funniest. To swear vengeance against someone whose crime was merely trying to give you helpful advice because your day was full of bad luck will forever be comical.  ;D

Yeah, I absolutely love how that backstory scene concludes; with Temple Fugate looking manical as he turns his head towards us the viewer, and begins screaming like a madman accompanied by the zoom in. As a kid, I found this particularly memorable.

True. Even if TNBA Joker had kept his red lips, I reckon he still loses a lot of expression with those black eyes with the white pupils. It's a lifeless redesign no matter how you try to defend it. It would make sense for a grim villain like Mr. Freeze, but Joker should still be vibrant.

Couldn't agree more.

QuoteBut if they really wanted to go through this ghostly look at some point in the DCAU, it might've made more sense in BB:ROTJ, when Joker was revived in Tim Drake's body.

Very true. Incorporating a more ghostly (or skull like) appearance would have flowed better in BB:ROTJ, than in TNBA. As BB:ROTJ encompassed the DCAU Joker that has essentially returned from beyond the grave. The whole body possession angle kinda has a "Exorcist" vibe to it, and the TNBA black beady eyes could have been viewed as symbolic of the more demoniacal nature of the Joker's resurgence in BB:ROTJ. 

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sun,  5 Dec  2021, 05:17
Very true. Incorporating a more ghostly (or skull like) appearance would have flowed better in BB:ROTJ, than in TNBA. As BB:ROTJ encompassed the DCAU Joker that has essentially returned from beyond the grave. The whole body possession angle kinda has a "Exorcist" vibe to it, and the TNBA black beady eyes could have been viewed as symbolic of the more demoniacal nature of the Joker's resurgence in BB:ROTJ.

Perfectly put.

The YouTube editor is now running a GoFundMe profile to crowd fund his recoloring projects and posted this re-edited shot from Holiday Knights, when Joker interrupted a live broadcast of the "Toilet Bowl".  :D

I found the same guy is also posting on Reddit, and recoloured this shot from BB:ROTJ.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I'll admit I thought the TNBA, ROTJ, JL, and Static Shock models were all the same (with the exception of TNBA having the different face). While it's subtle, it looks like it's mostly the hair color and eye/teeth color that's changed.

As much as the design is superior, I don't think the TAS design works for Return of the Joker. I just associate that more with the lighthearted clownish appearances. But the TNBA design looks appropriately evil, even more so than the original.

Quote from: The Joker on Sat,  4 Dec  2021, 23:44
I don't think I was at all familiar with the Clock King before I saw him on BTAS to be perfectly honest. If I ever saw him on the Adam West series, being such a young age at the time, I probably assumed he was just another one of the shows original villains made for celebrities of the time. Hell, I might have thought the same thing after BTAS episode "The Clock King" as well. Thinking he was a villain created for the animated series and not originating from the source material. I do remember realizing the Clock King was actually from the comics, when a picture of him appeared in one of Wizard Magazine's "Specials" that focused entirely on comic book villains ("Dark Book" I think was the title), but it was this version ...

https://www.writeups.org/wp-content/uploads/Clock-King-DC-Comics-Tockman.jpg

I think Wizard even catagorized Clock King as a "lame" villain among others. With that outfit, I can understand why, though I appreciated his appearance in "Batman Brave and the Bold" being very similar to this one. However, BTAS version of Clock King is definitive to me. One of my favorite episodes actually.
I think I mentioned it in another thread, but I still maintain that The Clock was the first incarnation of the Batman villain, the Clock King. The Green Arrow Clock King wouldn't have even been considered a predecessor to the BTAS character if it wasn't under the DC brand. I think it's very much coincidence that a Batman and Green Arrow villain were both named "Clock King", and were both amalgamated in the comics afterwards once BTAS gave the character new life.

Quote from: Slash Man on Sat, 11 Dec  2021, 01:48

As much as the design is superior, I don't think the TAS design works for Return of the Joker. I just associate that more with the lighthearted clownish appearances. But the TNBA design looks appropriately evil, even more so than the original.

Agreed on both counts.

QuoteI think I mentioned it in another thread, but I still maintain that The Clock was the first incarnation of the Batman villain, the Clock King. The Green Arrow Clock King wouldn't have even been considered a predecessor to the BTAS character if it wasn't under the DC brand. I think it's very much coincidence that a Batman and Green Arrow villain were both named "Clock King", and were both amalgamated in the comics afterwards once BTAS gave the character new life.

I am absolutely unfamiliar with "The Clock" villain you brought up, but your suggestion could very well be a case that sounds a lot like that of a lesser known villain named "Cryonic Man" being, for all intents and purposes, the first incarnation of Mr. Freeze. As they share notable similarities. This was something Silver Nemesis brought up in a "Heart of Ice" thread.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei