Suicide Squad

Started by Catwoman, Tue, 2 Dec 2014, 22:47

Previous topic - Next topic
Self Termination Squad is an underrated movie, folks. It gets a ton of crap flung at it, and yes, I get why. But to focus on the what ifs makes us not focus on the what IS elements enough. Margot Robbie, Will Smith and the-Amanda-Waller-actress-but-I-forgot-her-name-person make this film rewatchable. It's a minor upgrade, but the extended cut is nonetheless an upgrade for the direction the studio finally decided to take. This is a popcorn movie to sit back and enjoy with a wheelbarrow of popcorn and an aquarium of coke. The performances of those three actors does that for me. I really get the impression Self Termination Squad will become a one off, guilty pleasure in comparison to the two and a half hour epics like MoS and BvS. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If this is as bad as things get for the DCEU, it's doing rather well for itself.

Suicide Squad had its moments such as Batman and Flash's cameos, Deadshot, Harley, El Diablo, Amanda Waller and Captain Boomerang sometimes . But I still think it could've been much better if it had fewer characters, or even if Joker was the main villain as David Ayer admitted.

Oh well.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I'm strangely okay about the Joker solo film news. Leto is apparently confirmed for Suicide Squad 2 and Gotham City Sirens. He's surely going to get a lot more screen time between those two films. He's still the canon DCEU Joker. Getting another Joker film (non canon) with another actor in the role is a bonus. I'm a fan of the character and have no problem with them covering the origin story. Hell, B89 is the Joker's origin story. The concept of a 1980s style film is different, and if it happens, I'm open minded about it. The predictable outcry will be 'Joker shouldn't have an origin!', 'Ledger for life!', blah, blah, blah.

Has the Joker solo project been officially greenlit by WB? Or is it more bullsh*t from the media?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I know this much is ... true (yeah that's of course a shameless Spandau Ballet reference), WB/DC choosing the particular title of the DCEU would create a credibility if they started branching out in live action elseworlds type movies. Extending themselves out to more than just one cinematic continuity and interpretations of characters.

No doubt, the Flash movie (Flashpoint) is going to feature alternate versions of well known Superheros and Villains, and if they are as engaging and welcomed by the masses as DC/WB hopes they will be, then it's safe to say that the Flashpoint film will essentially be the testing grounds for ideas and concepts that don't necessarily fit within the main DCEU continuity.

A Joker origin film could be interesting. I think DC Comics are still going ahead with revealing the Joker's origin story during the Rebirth/Doomsday Clock storyline that's going on right now (Batman finding out that there's actually 3 Jokers was the prelude to this), and I would imagine whatever the Rebirth Joker origin story turns out to be, will ultimately have some influence on The Joker movie itself.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon,  7 Aug  2017, 13:58
A new unreleased photo of the Joker was released a week or so ago.

His facial expression reminds me of my reaction when I realised most of his scenes were cut out from the film.

Looks great, but this damn "damaged"..

I still hope they sort of "soft reboot" him. Get rid of the metal teeth, the "damaged", the tattoos. Even if there are in-universe explanations, they just don't look good. Tone down the "pimp" element. No one will pay much attention.

I don't have a big problem with that stuff anymore. Way I see it, they shouldn't change a thing. The only thing I'd do is keep him clothed at all times. Keep him in purple jackets and tuxedos. The tattoos can still be there, but we don't see them. But that means I'd keep the damaged forehead tattoo visible, along with the metal teeth. I actually like the teeth for three reasons. They're unique to this Joker, I think they look rather good on him, and I like the backstory behind them. Especially considering Batman and Joker have had a long history against each other in this universe.

These are not a deal-breaker for me either, I don't like them but I wouldn't use them as arguments about why I don't like this Joker (I have a forgiving nature and tend to ignore non-essential details if they are just that - details, the one thing I really disliked was his limited screentime), but for many people they seem to be a big problem. A small "reboot", no explanation necessary, might work.

The Hollywood Reporter has revealed James Gunn's new Suicide Squad film to be a semi-reboot titled The Suicide Squad. Supposedly it will focus on a new cast of characters, though it's rumoured that Robbie and Smith may return in their respective roles. It's expected to come out in August 2021 with Gunn both writing and directing the project.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-gunn-talks-direct-suicide-squad-sequel-1181436