Suicide Squad

Started by Catwoman, Tue, 2 Dec 2014, 22:47

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 25 Aug  2016, 11:48
I'm glad you got enjoyment from Leto's Joker Slash, but I felt let down because he was given little to nothing to do.
Yeah, for the Joker, the movie was more of a vehicle to introduce the Joker to audiences to establish him for later installments. They did the exact same thing with Spider-Man in Civil War - being two iconic characters that were not essential to the main story.

It's a tricky situation because the Joker is going to create insane amounts of hype. I felt like the first teaser did an excellent job of introducing the character. Too little coverage creates a lot of expectations. But from there on out, they created the false expectation that Joker was going to be a major character, which he fell short of.
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 25 Aug  2016, 11:48Of course, we all know that WB and David Ayer decided to cut out a lot of his scenes, particularly how he abused and manipulated Harley. I've heard complaints about Joker is depicted as a "lovesick puppy" in SS, but that's because the most important and critical material had been left out on the cutting floor. Which is a shame, because the film would've been rich if those scenes were kept. It would've shown how even the cruel and sadistic Joker is not too inhumane to show affection for someone. If they were going to cut out some scenes, why not remove the entire subplot to capture Harley? It felt pointless.
It's really crushing that the presence of these deleted scenes shows that Ayer understands the characters perfectly. But having them be the perfect couple has proven to be much more marketable.

I feel like if they only had the last scene of the Joker breaking Harley out of prison, it would make sense and the rest of the movie would still stand without everything else.

The way I'm looking at the theatrical cut is that Leto's Joker has a strong sense of ownership with Harley. For a man who sees life as a joke, he suddenly has some purpose. Harley gives Joker another reason and excuse to be bad. She's his property. Disrespect her? You die. A gangster calls Harley a bitch, and that's enough for him to be shot. Implant a bomb in her neck and make her join a squad? He'll scour the city, kill the necessary people and stop at nothing until he gets her back. It's personal.

In regards to abusing her, we still get a bit of that. Electroshock therapy inside Arkham, after he fools her into smuggling in a machine gun. He drives off a cliff with no regard for his or her safety. He uses Harley as a dancer for cash, letting her grind up against other men but keeps a very close eye on proceedings. But at the core, Harley is his creation. He has her around his finger and he obviously enjoys that complete sense of control. They could have gone harder, but...there's enough to redeem this Joker.

Another film would do him wonders.

Quote from: Slash Man on Fri, 26 Aug  2016, 04:18
But from there on out, they created the false expectation that Joker was going to be a major character, which he fell short of.

That's right, and by doing that, they even misled Jared Leto into thinking most of the work he was doing would feature in the final cut. If this was what they were going to do, I'd rather they keep Joker's reveal a surprise (although I know that would be impossible to do in the internet age, but it's better to keep expectations in check).

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 26 Aug  2016, 09:00
The way I'm looking at the theatrical cut is that Leto's Joker has a strong sense of ownership with Harley. For a man who sees life as a joke, he suddenly has some purpose. Harley gives Joker another reason and excuse to be bad. She's his property. Disrespect her? You die. A gangster calls Harley a bitch, and that's enough for him to be shot. Implant a bomb in her neck and make her join a squad? He'll scour the city, kill the necessary people and stop at nothing until he gets her back. It's personal.

In regards to abusing her, we still get a bit of that. Electroshock therapy inside Arkham, after he fools her into smuggling in a machine gun. He drives off a cliff with no regard for his or her safety. He uses Harley as a dancer for cash, letting her grind up against other men but keeps a very close eye on proceedings. But at the core, Harley is his creation. He has her around his finger and he obviously enjoys that complete sense of control. They could have gone harder, but...there's enough to redeem this Joker.

It's certainly a valid interpretation. But an impression I get that he does have some sort of affection for Harley is when he decides to jump into the pool of chemicals to get Harley, instead of walking away and leaving her to drown. I thought it was a change of heart from him.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 26 Aug  2016, 09:00

I'd also add, when Harley is arrested, where is Mr. J? Nowhere to be found and it seems she does spend significant time incarcerated.

Quote from: riddler on Fri, 26 Aug  2016, 14:19
I'd also add, when Harley is arrested, where is Mr. J? Nowhere to be found and it seems she does spend significant time incarcerated.

It's likely that Joker wanted a sharply defined break-in/escape plan, which would take some time (schedules/routines/info on guards, ect), and one that ... did not go into action until the conclusion of the film when the time/opportunity presented itself.

Cause make no mistake about it, Joker's focus is on Harley and getting her back. I would almost say he seems depressed at one point (when his right hand man explains what happened to Harley after Bats rescued her). Which, to me, conveys that he's unable to just go out and get her back. In addition to her not being there with him is definitely a void that cannot be filled.

The way I look at it, is that a place like Belle Reve Penitentiary, considering it's clientele and thus security, would probably be a little more complex successfully getting in and out of rather than a psychiatric hospital like Arkham. Especially since, unless it's in the novelization, Joker himself has had no prior experience/knowledge within Belle Reve either.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

True. Joker drew an outline around his mouth with a black pen and was sitting around doing nothing. He was aimless. When he thinks he can get Harley back, and with a plan to do so, he stretches out on the ground and begins laughing. He has purpose again.

Also, I forgot to add something. Joker is on board a helicopter as it crashes into a ball of flames. In Suicide Squad, we see the character surviving the near impossible just like the comics. And to a lesser extent, driving off a cliff and his body not being located. This facet is presented for the first time cinematically. Nicholson miraculously not being hit by the Batwing's bullets doesn't count, either. Leto's Joker is thought dead only to return.

That's a very astute point with Joker cheating death. Like TDK said, it's happened countless times in the comics, dating back to the Golden Age of comics, but Suicide Squad actually incorporates this character device with Leto's Joker like that of no other live action Joker before him.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Suicide Squad has outgrossed more money than the first Iron Man to become the 50th highest grossed domestic film of all time.

Source: http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1561419/suicide-squad-just-notched-another-box-office-win-over-rival-marvel-studios
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Awesome result. I'm waiting for details on the Blu-ray, and if there's going to be an extended cut.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri, 30 Sep  2016, 00:35
Suicide Squad has outgrossed more money than the first Iron Man to become the 50th highest grossed domestic film of all time.

Source: http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1561419/suicide-squad-just-notched-another-box-office-win-over-rival-marvel-studios

Great news for the film, and the DCEU. It's only three films in, and the profits thus far make it painfully obvious that there is indeed interest and support from audiences/fans in the product WB has been dishing out.  :)