Who is your favourite Schumacher villain?

Started by The Laughing Fish, Thu, 27 Nov 2014, 13:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is your favourite Schumacher villain?

Riddler
8 (61.5%)
Two-Face
1 (7.7%)
Mr. Freeze
0 (0%)
Poison Ivy
4 (30.8%)
Bane
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

It's admittedly small pickings because of the mediocre quality of the villains. Nonetheless, I'd say the Riddler is the only character who comes close as compelling because of his obsession over Bruce Wayne. He was the kind of unstable, needy guy who desperately wanted to be acknowledged positively, and Nigma idolized Bruce and thought that he would approve his invention. When that didn't work out, he resented Bruce and decided to do whatever means necessary to get ahead with producing his device i.e. joining forces with Two-Face. The riddles that appear to taunt Bruce might come across as a sign of Nigma's resentment instead of challenging him intellectually like in the comics. But it still adds some depth to the Riddler's character when you compare him to the other villains, in my opinion.

Who is your favourite villain in Schumacher's movies?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Thu, 27 Nov 2014, 13:02 #1 Last Edit: Thu, 27 Nov 2014, 13:05 by Edd Grayson
Poison Ivy. She was corny at times but so were Riddler, Freeze and Two-Face. Bane didn't have much of a personality. I thought Ivy was the closest to how I'd picture her.

Jim Carrey's Riddler is the only one I think works well.  Carrey actually brought something to the part whereas some of the other actors were miscast.

Carrey was great as sycophantic but simultaneously supercilious scientist who was bitter and envious of Bruce Wayne.  He did such a good job Guy Pearce's Aldrich Killian in Iron Man 3 was basically a rip-off.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Pam. So influential. I think my mom still has the home video of my Mae West imitation (I thought it was my Uma as Ivy imitation) in the attic somewhere. I need to find that thing and destroy it.

Riddler. A stalker before the term ever even entered the lexicon. Two Face (for better or worse) was treated like another comic book movie supervillain. But the Riddler's motives have creepy and disturbing depth. And they're only too applicable to modern times... perhaps even more than when the movie first came out.

Riddler for me too. However I'd say Poison Ivy would be number two. I love what Uma did with the role, and I don't care who knows.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 27 Jun  2016, 06:43Riddler for me too. However I'd say Poison Ivy would be number two. I love what Uma did with the role, and I don't care who knows.
One thing that's become apparent to me is just how much influence Schumacher took from the comics, particularly Shadow of the Bat Annual #3. I hope the day comes when Schumacher gets credit for how much he really did take from comics. Apparently they're comics that most of his critics have never read. But they are still comics. Damn good ones too in most cases.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 27 Jun  2016, 13:40
One thing that's become apparent to me is just how much influence Schumacher took from the comics, particularly Shadow of the Bat Annual #3. I hope the day comes when Schumacher gets credit for how much he really did take from comics. Apparently they're comics that most of his critics have never read. But they are still comics. Damn good ones too in most cases.

Giving Schumacher any credit would defeat the narrative that he "destroyed" the franchise. He's the only director who never had Batman arm his vehicles with any guns, but you still won't ever see the purists giving him any acknowledgement.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Needless to say Riddler for me but here's the rest of my rankings

2. Ivy. The 'partnership in peril' was one of the better plotlines in an overstuffed film and Ivy's character becomes the centerpiece towards creating animosity amongst the dynamic duo (I wonder if this film was 19 years head if it's time for having superheroes clash with each other?)
3. Freeze. This is not my definitive version of the character but if they were going to go the corny route, Arnold at least had fun with the role while other actors may have been tired and bored with the dialogue (ie Clooney).
4. Two Face. I've enjoyed TLJ in many of his roles but not this one. It was just too out of place and obvious he was trying to out-Carrey Carrey. He also copied Nicholson but didn't make his character dark and terrifying the way Nicholson did. Nicholson made the audience afraid for the other characters, Jones didn.t
5. Bane. Last by default, it was barely even a character and had virtually no relevance, I don't think the character is ever even mentioned when he's not on scene.