Filmspotting Podcast on Anti-heroines

Started by johnnygobbs, Thu, 27 Nov 2014, 09:41

Previous topic - Next topic
http://filmspotting.net/svu/1243-svu-73-batman-returns-anti-heroine-movies.html

I'd definitely recommend the above podcast on the film Filmspotting.

The two podcasters, Matt and Alison, speak very highly of Batman Returns, even stating that it has gotten better with time, particularly with respect to the characterisation of Catwoman.

They discuss the film within the context of the subject, 'Cinematic anti-heroines'.  You may wish to skip the first fifteen minutes or so of the podcast where they discuss a variety of other films that feature anti-heroines (although I'd recommend that you don't - they have some interesting things to say about films such as Baby Face, Kill Bill, Election and My Best Friend's Wedding), but once they get into Batman Returns it's clear they think very highly of Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman as one of the few, maybe only, progressive female comic-book movie characters (they even compare her favourably to Black Widow, arguably the next best female CBM character, from the Avengers films).  Besides Catwoman, they also have several other positive things to say about the movie, but the overall focus is 'Catwoman - the anti-heroine'.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

The praise for Pfeiffer's Catwoman isn't surprising. People have spoken very highly of her for years. Even among those who don't care for Burton's films tend to say very positive things about Pfeiffer's performance and her character.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 27 Nov  2014, 09:44
The praise for Pfeiffer's Catwoman isn't surprising. People have spoken very highly of her for years. Even among those who don't care for Burton's films tend to say very positive things about Pfeiffer's performance and her character.
True, but this wasn't begrudging "I don't like the film, but I guess Pfeiffer is okay" type praise.  The two podcasters are clearly big fans of the film overall, it's just that Pfeiffer's Catwoman is a very large part of that appreciation.

I heard their section on Batman Returns this afternoon.

The analysts provide a pretty good analysis about Catwoman from being an oppressed and abused secretary to turning into an outlaw who craves for vengeance.  Not justice. She knows that Shreck is capable of getting away with murder literally, and it eats her up inside. Her revenge makes her more unstable by the end of the movie.

There was a good point they made about Catwoman rejecting a woman's gratitude despite saving her from being raped by her attacker. Catwoman feels liberated to fight back, but as the two podcasters say, she's not really a feminist.

Another good point was mentioned about how Penguin feels like a darker version of Batman, only he really was a freak and he was rejected by his own parents because of his freakishly deformed nature. Hence Batman acknowledging that Penguin might be right when he says "You're just mad because I'm a genuine freak".

But I'm not so sure I agree that Batman kills less in this movie than 89. I think that's a little debatable.

Pretty good podcast to listen to. Thanks for the upload!
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 30 Nov  2014, 12:36
Pretty good podcast to listen to. Thanks for the upload!
I'm pleased you enjoyed it!  :)

QuoteBut I'm not so sure I agree that Batman kills less in this movie than 89. I think that's a little debatable.
We only see Batman kill about three people in this film, the Firebreathing clown, the Strong Man, and The Penguin.

In Batman '89 he blows up an entire factory of goons, he missile targets a few random goons at the parade, and he throws the tough black goon in the belfry to his death.  On that basis I'd personally argue that he probably does kill less people overall in this one, even if the kills are more blatant.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun, 30 Nov  2014, 13:15
We only see Batman kill about three people in this film, the Firebreathing clown, the Strong Man, and The Penguin.

In Batman '89 he blows up an entire factory of goons, he missile targets a few random goons at the parade, and he throws the tough black goon in the belfry to his death.  On that basis I'd personally argue that he probably does kill less people overall in this one, even if the kills are more blatant.

Come to think of it, you're right. I've somehow forgot most of the deaths he caused in the first movie.  :-[

You may have a point that the deaths in Returns were a lot more blatant; that must've explained why I thought he was more ruthless in the second one.