Batman & Robin Comic Adaption

Started by Slash Man, Mon, 24 Nov 2014, 00:25

Previous topic - Next topic
Alright, you could probably tell from my last post that I've been going back to the comic adaptions for the original series. Though with the Batman & Robin comic, I guess I want to start with somewhat of a review and some observations.

First of all, this comic is beautifully illustrated. It feels more like a comic than where the others felt like simply drawing scenes from the film. It's hard to describe, but it almost has a manga-like feel to it. There's a lot of motion contained within Rudolfo Damaggio's art. One feature I really like is giving Batman and Robin their classic white eyes. Damaggio also has a knack for drawing Batman in powerful poses, and creating great use of shadows; it's an entirely different Clooney than we see in the movie. I guess what I like best is that it meets halfway between the film and the comics. And to his credit, Joel Schumacher envisions a Gotham straight from the pages.

With the previous adaptions, there were significant changes within. This comic doesn't really have that, which suggests not much change from earlier scripts. I guess that's part of why the movie was flawed. That being said, the dialogue was all mostly intact, and I'm not going to pretend that seeing Batman and Freeze's puns in a different medium make them less painful. Though remembering back to Batman making jokes as he gets beats up some criminals in the 40s and Freeze's over the top mad-scientist persona from the 50s almost puts you in the right mood as you see it in the perspective of a comic. I will say that I've never had a problem with any of Robin's puns. The character of Robin was pretty much created for that purpose, and it rarely comes out as over the top. The only bit of painful dialogue was when Robin started the fight with Batman after claiming he was jealous.

The last thing is that this story read great because, not in spite of the alterations that had to occur because of being condensed into a comic. A lot of needless slapstick was taken out that wasn't needed. The Barbara racing subplot was excised completely, but we're still given enough hints to her character without making it obvious. Also, less is more with Bane. I originally thought it couldn't work, but seeing him as a silent partner instead of a dim-witted henchman. Instead of a fight between Batman and Robin over Ivy, all it takes is one strong punch to bring his senses back. That's all it needs. Also, Alfred grows extremely ill by the end, and simply gives the CD of secrets of the Wayne household to Barbara. From there, she shows up with costume that she made herself. I mean, the quality of the costume makes it a little hard to believe (similar to Robin in Forever), but it's more plausible than what we got. The circumstances were far less coincidental. Later on at the end, she's seen with a more official Batgirl costume, probably made with Bruce and Alfred's supervision. I'd be interested to see a cut based on this version.

Anyways, I'd easily recommend it to any fans of Batman & Robin (I know they're out there somewhere), and even people who wanted to like the movie, this comic might put the story in a different light.

Is there any resolution of the Julie Madison story or does she just disappear here too?

And how is Pamela drawn during her rebirth scene?

I'm very glad you brought that up, I forgot about that completely! Julie Madison is NOT present (not even with a mention), so that takes away that part of the story. It's almost interesting to see a Batman movie without a love interest thrown in there.

Ivy's rebirth is pretty brief. We see her rise up from the back, and we see her full appearance in the next panel. Same torn clothes as the movie, but no vines, and straight hair from the get go. I hope that answers your question. Also, the Wayne Enterprises connection was not made. She just kinda explains herself by making radical propositions to Bruce to stop harming the environment. Though it didn't need to be there, because we find out her true intentions were a partnership with Mr. Freeze.

Thanks. And yes that most certainly did answer my question, hehe.

Uma was amazing in that scene. The sex almost oozed out of her. It was quite a revelation for me. :D I'm still influenced by it in my dress (and sometimes in my mannerisms and attitude ;) )and I'll be perfectly honest that it makes me feel about as sexy as she looked. Long story short I'm glad she's drawn that way lol.

No Julie at all? That is interesting. And weird since even though I was 11 I can remember the fuss about Elle MacPherson being in the movie. Very odd. Was she like not in the early drafts and just added later as the "obligatory Bat broad" as I have heard her and Chase Meridian described?

I find the artwork really stiff in this one. Characters seem to just stand upright in a lot of scenes. No dynamism at all. The details are all still great but motion (if we can even refer to that when discussing comic panels) doesn't seem to be captured. I was disappointed after the brilliance of the Batman Forever one.

One of the strangest things is Mr Freeze using a small revolver like freeze gun throughout and then at the finale he finally uses his larger model. Some of the movies action figure/doll merchandise also had a smaller freeze gun. No doubt designs changed around before the film released.

Comic adaptations of movies do tend to eliminate characters entirely sometimes. I remember buying the Space Jam movie comic as a kid in 1997 and being highly peeved that Bill Murray's triumphant appearance at the final basketball showdown was totally missing (though a character resembling him does appear during the golf sequences). You'd be surprised how it altered the feel of the whole ending. Julie Madison was never any big loss to me. Hated her character in the film. Thank goodness Bruce never had any intention of marrying her. Worst mistake he'd ever make. Her?! After Vicki Vale? And Selina? And yes even Chase Meridian? Pur-leese.

Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Mon, 24 Nov  2014, 20:19
Julie Madison was never any big loss to me. Hated her character in the film. Thank goodness Bruce never had any intention of marrying her. Worst mistake he'd ever make. Her?! After Vicki Vale? And Selina? And yes even Chase Meridian? Pur-leese.
You didn't like Elle Macpherson Cobblepot?

I'm with George Clooney per the following anecdote:

£In an interview the cast members were asked what item from filming they would like to take home with them. Arnold Schwarzenegger said that he would be taking Mr. Freeze's armor home, Uma Thurman said that she wanted Ivy's floral throne, and Elle Macpherson said that she just wanted a cap or something with the "Batman & Robin" logo before anyone else. When asked, George Clooney said he wanted Elle Macpherson."
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

What did Chris O'Donnell want to take home, johnnygobbs?

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Tue, 25 Nov  2014, 11:14
I'm not sure Edd.

Maybe, his dignity... :-\
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue, 25 Nov  2014, 11:42
Quote from: Edd Grayson on Tue, 25 Nov  2014, 11:14
I'm not sure Edd.

Maybe, his dignity... :-\

lol

She was gorgeous but, just as Ivy told Lady Freeze when she pulled her plug, B&R was a one woman show. Alicia was just a kid and Elle brought nothing to the dinner table but her beauty. And yall know nobody would more like to see a batflick dominated by a few ladies than moi, so I speak in a position of expertise lol. This is really no diff from the first 3, they all had one woman who mattered too. Difference was the relationship with Bruce AND Batsy. Maybe Pam would've had that extra dimension or whatever if they'd adapted Pretty Poison with Bruce in Harvey's role.

Ok I'm rambling lol. Back on topic I go.

I looked up the Ivy sequence I talked about. It's done beautifully, I just wish it was a little longer and that I knew which animal/plant toxin straightened her hair while she was trapped in the bowels of the earth. I'd be marketing that sh*t, yo. "Beautiful straight hair even in the DEADLIEST conditions, like your boss murdering you in a South American jungle!"