The Batman Adventures (And Related DCAU lines)

Started by Slash Man, Sun, 23 Nov 2014, 06:01

Previous topic - Next topic
Alright, here's a thread dedicated to the line of comics written to tie into Batman: The Animated Series' wild success. Impressively, the series ran (under one form or another) from 1992-2004. I believe it was The Batman that put an end to it, with DC's line of thinking being that those different continuities would alienate readers. Shame, it got cut off before any resolution, almost like the show itself...

Anyways, I'm a bit of a completist, so I'd like to first talk about obtaining the comics nowadays. I'm a big fan of collected editions, and they actually did that for few instances.

First off, The Lost Years was one of the tie-ins between Batman: TAS and TNBA. It was not an ongoing story, so it was contained within one collection. A little pricey, but it's all there.

Batman Gotham Adventures had an attempt... 1-6 for a volume was a good start, but nothing was seen beyond that. With 60 issues, there's a lot to collect.

The original Batman Adventures was collected during the years it was running, two volumes brought us up to 12 of the 36 issues. Though coincidentally, I just noticed that the first volume was re-released this month, and packed in 10 issues instead of 6. Awesome! While it's too early to tell, I'm thinking (and hoping) they're going for a full release. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a revised edition of vol 2, but if we see a volume 3, then we have reason to celebrate.

Meanwhile, DC's downloading service has made all back issues of Batman (& Robin) Adventures and Batman: Gotham Adventures comics available online for $1 a piece. Not bad, DC
https://www.readdcentertainment.com/

For my money, that book was at its peak starting around the time Parobeck came on. The concept itself never really recovered from his passing. Plus, the Batman & Robin Adventures just wasn't a worthy successor to TBA. There were some good stories in there but I remember it being mostly meh.