Rumour: Margot Robbie to play Harley Quinn for Suicide Squad

Started by The Laughing Fish, Mon, 10 Nov 2014, 08:38

Previous topic - Next topic
It's probably a load of BS because there is no press release from WB. But there are quite a number of news outlets right now claiming this Aussie chick is going to play Harley Quinn. I've never heard of her before. For what it's worth, Geoff Johns teased a picture of Harley on Instagram claiming there'll be official news soon.

Margot Robbie is Harley Quinn in David Ayer's 'Suicide Squad' Movie

There it is. Following the news from the end of last week, our friends at Collider are reporting that actress Margot Robbie has been actually cast to play Harley Quinn in the Suicide Squad movie. Last week, a big casting story broke saying that Jared Leto was being considered for The Joker role in Suicide Squad, to be directed by David Ayer coming off of the critical success of Fury. There have been rumors Harley Quinn might be in this too, and casting reports have mentioned Margot for months already, but now it seems to be confirmed from Collider's source - she will be playing Harley Quinn and we'll probably get more Joker, too.

Very talented 24-year-old Australian actress Margot Robbie has been landing roles left and right ever since her co-starring role in Martin Scorsese's The Wolf of Wall Street, where she impressed everyone. Robbie has already filmed Z for Zachariah and Focus with Will Smith, both arriving in 2015, and she's about to start shooting Tarzan starring as Jane, the big Warner Bros production directed by David Yates. She also just took a role in The Mountain Between Us opposite Charlie Hunnam. She'll be an excellent Quinn and should bring some extra attention to this by playing Harley Quinn, one of the most beloved DC Comics characters. We may finally see Joker and Harley Quinn together on the big screen soon, as long as it all comes together.

David Ayer is directing the film about a team of imprisoned super-villains who perform high-risk missions for the U.S. Government in exchange for commuted sentences. The team's actions are highly classified, and the government is able to deny any involvement by claiming that they are not responsible for the damages of a random super-villain attack. The catch: their mission will probably kill them all. Ayer has described the film as The Dirty Dozen with super villains, and that sounds fun as hell. Release is initially set for August 2016. The cast is said to include Tom Hardy, Jesse Eisenberg and Will Smith. Is Robbie the best choice?

http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/margot-robbie-is-harley-quinn-in-david-ayers-suicide-squad-movie/

Thoughts?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Eh. I googled her since I've never heard of her either. Not what I pictured for Harley. Plus I'm sad the first LA Harley isn't American. Nothing against non-Americans, you know. I just hate fake accents.

Kitty is going to have to warm up to this.

Margot Robbie is one of the sexiest, most attractive actresses of the moment, and she proved in 'The Wolf of Wall Street' that she can put on a very convincing Noo Yawk accent.   Still, I'd have ideally liked to have see a Jewish actress like Sarah Michelle Gellar or Scarlett Johansson to play the part as an acknowledgement of Harleen's heritage.  Robbie looks very Anglo/WASPy to me, and I wonder if she'll be able to convey her high intelligence.

Still, I guess Robbie will now joint the ranks of other incredibly beautiful Batman women like Michelle Pfeiffer, Kim Basinger, Cristi Conaway, Elle Macpherson, Nicole Kidman and Jerry Hall.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Margot Robbie as Harley could work. I guess. I've seen The Wolf of Wall Street, and outside of all the nudity, I don't really recall any of her acting scenes leaving too much of an impression. But to be fair, it was very much the Leo show, so that may not be especially fair to her. Appearance wise, I have a easier time seeing the other girl rumored for the part, Cara Delevingne, than I could Margot. Though with the latter, WB/DC could easily ramp up the observable sexualization of Harley, that, BTW, seems to be a popular theme amongst Harley Cosplayers these days. Especially in light of the Arkham games, and the classic harlequin costume even being ditched in the comics following the Nu52.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Mon, 10 Nov  2014, 18:46
Appearance wise, I have a easier time seeing the other girl rumored for the part, Cara Delevingne, than I could Margot.
I'm not a fan of Delevingne.  She always looks moody in her pics, and I don't see her appeal at all.  It makes me wonder that she's only where she is because of family connections/the circles she moves in, or because the fashion industry seems to sadly favour the waifish, sullen look.

And like you said, Margot does seem to promise sex appeal in the part.

To me neither one of them are "cute" enough to be Harley, going by pics of their faces and expressions. There is this adorableness that is like critical to her being. Maybe I will be proven wrong. I just hope they don't try to focus on the sexy part and forget the cuteness, because then it won't be Harley. She's a lot more than just looking sexy (which any actress should be able to do wearing her new comic outfit lol). The personality is what makes her. This Margot better step it up and be cute as hell or she's just an empty shell.

I guess it's obvious I'm like really emotionally invested in this lol. I've been waiting a long damn time for her to get a live action movie. I don't want them to f*** it up and I'm scared to death they will. I will tell you this, if she tries to play her like Heath Ledger's Joker, only as a girl, I will strangle the bitch myself.  >:(

Don't let me down, girl! :-\ :-\ :-\

Quote from: Catwoman on Mon, 10 Nov  2014, 19:51
To me neither one of them are "cute" enough to be Harley, going by pics of their faces and expressions. There is this adorableness that is like critical to her being. Maybe I will be proven wrong. I just hope they don't try to focus on the sexy part and forget the cuteness, because then it won't be Harley. She's a lot more than just looking sexy (which any actress should be able to do wearing her new comic outfit lol). The personality is what makes her. This Margot better step it up and be cute as hell or she's just an empty shell.

I guess it's obvious I'm like really emotionally invested in this lol. I've been waiting a long damn time for her to get a live action movie. I don't want them to f*** it up and I'm scared to death they will. I will tell you this, if she tries to play her like Heath Ledger's Joker, only as a girl, I will strangle the bitch myself.  >:(

Don't let me down, girl! :-\ :-\ :-\
Apart from the part about straggling her I really do sympathise with your words Catwoman.

I know you're a big fan of Harley Quinn (I am too, and have been waiting a long time to see her portrayed in live-action, but I appreciate that I'm not nearly as big a fan as you).  I see what you mean by her personality, although I don't know if I'd describe it as 'cute' exactly.  Remember, this won't be a cartoon and Harley, if done properly, has got a real unhinged, psychotic streak alongside her adorability/apparent cuteness.

I have seen The Wolf of Wall Street and judging from that performance I do think Robbie could pull off the (fake) ditziness and borderline bi-polar mania, as well as the sexiness.  Robbie may look like a model but she's got comic chops too (kind of like, and I know you hate me saying this, Cristi Conaway as the ditzy Ice Princess).  Robbie reminds me a bit of a modern-era Marie Wilson who patented the whole 'dumb blonde' persona way back when ( see also Jean Harlow, Marilyn Monroe, Judy Holliday and Jean Hagan, at least in 'Singin' in the Rain').

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon, 10 Nov  2014, 19:14
I'm not a fan of Delevingne.  She always looks moody in her pics, and I don't see her appeal at all.  It makes me wonder that she's only where she is because of family connections/the circles she moves in, or because the fashion industry seems to sadly favour the waifish, sullen look.

And like you said, Margot does seem to promise sex appeal in the part.

I'm really not overly familiar with either. With Cara, I'm going solely on pictures (like the ones she's posted of herself with her eyes crossed, suggesting a mentally unbalanced personality ... which you pretty much would have to be to fall in love with the Joker), and am unaware of any nepotism/inner circles dealings that pertains to her. Ideally, I'm not a fan of nepotism, but it's nothing new in Hollywood. Similar to Hollywood favoring the cookie cutter blonde. Now with Margot, I've only seen in Wolf/Wallstreet. Which was a role that relied much more on sex appeal than anything else, and perhaps a little too overtly at that. Similar to Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct. Honestly, I think your girl Conway evoked a combo of sex appeal and comedic ability, than what I remember from Margot in Wolf. If she has played a more comedic role in a film, I would be interested in checking it out. Just to get a more accurate assessment of her acting ability. 

If either lands the role, I'll give either/or a shot, and it's not like they have the burden of actually carrying the film, as they have the luxury of it being an ensemble piece. Similar to Catwoman, I've become much less emotionally invested in this, and the entire DC cinematic universe slate of films to be perfectly honest, than I was just a few years back gearing up for Man of Steel

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Mon, 10 Nov  2014, 21:24
I'm really not overly familiar with either. With Cara, I'm going solely on pictures (like the ones she's posted of herself with her eyes crossed, suggesting a mentally unbalanced personality ... which you pretty much would have to be to fall in love with the Joker), and am unaware of any nepotism/inner circles dealings that pertains to her. Ideally, I'm not a fan of nepotism, but it's nothing new in Hollywood. Similar to Hollywood favoring the cookie cutter blonde. Now with Margot, I've only seen in Wolf/Wallstreet. Which was a role that relied much more on sex appeal than anything else, and perhaps a little too overtly at that. Similar to Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct. Honestly, I think your girl Conway evoked a combo of sex appeal and comedic ability, than what I remember from Margot in Wolf. If she has played a more comedic role in a film, I would be interested in checking it out. Just to get a more accurate assessment of her acting ability.
The Ice Princess is a very different comic character to Harley Quinn though.  One is a dumb blonde, the other just pretends to be a dumb blonde/acts like one because she's psychologically unhinged.

But bear in mind that in The Wolf of Wall Street, Robbie was part of a straight drama with satirical elements rather than a full-on comedy/comic-book fantasy, but she was still able to roll with the film's many OTT moments such as the scene where DiCaprio and Jonah Hill are off their heads on Quaaludes, and she did a great job with the broad accent.

QuoteIf either lands the role, I'll give either/or a shot, and it's not like they have the burden of actually carrying the film, as they have the luxury of it being an ensemble piece. Similar to Catwoman, I've become much less emotionally invested in this, and the entire DC cinematic universe slate of films to be perfectly honest, than I was just a few years back gearing up for Man of Steel.
I hear you, but I saw Man of Steel again a few weeks ago, and apart from Jonathan Kent's ridiculous death, the interminable final battle scene between Zod and Superman, and the overly dark, dreary look of the film, I surprisingly found plenty to enjoy and appreciate, including a new interpretation of Superman/Clark Kent that didn't exist in Christopher Reeve's shadow, genuinely menacing villains who didn't lack for conviction and some decent performances from all concerned including Cavill.

I really want this Harley to be inspired by the animated Harley Quinn and her style and voice. After all, Harley was created specifically for animation. And she was so cool that they adapted her to the comics.