Suicide Squad News: Jared Leto Considered for Joker?

Started by BatmAngelus, Sat, 8 Nov 2014, 00:42

Previous topic - Next topic
Let the rumor mill continue:
QuoteOscar winner Jared Leto is circling a key role in David Ayer's "Suicide Squad" that could prove to be The Joker, an individual familiar with the Warner Bros. project has told TheWrap.

Warner Bros. had no comment, while a representative for Leto did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Ryan Gosling was initially sought to play The Joker but he was unwilling to sign a deal with options for multiple movies, according to one insider.

While The Joker did not appear in Justin Marks' original draft of the screenplay, Ayer is expected to rewrite the script and that revision is rumored to include The Joker. After all, the studio would be hard-pressed to ignore Batman's arch-enemy. If Warners has no plans to include the character in some capacity in "Suicide Squad" or "Justice League," what movie is it waiting for?

Keep in mind that the reliable comic book movie scoopers at Latino Review recently reported that Cara Delevingne is being sought to play Harley Quinn, and when that character is around, The Joker is usually nearby. Delevingne tweeted a picture of Harley Quinn several weeks before speculation first started.
http://www.thewrap.com/jared-leto-eyed-to-play-the-joker-in-wbs-suicide-squad-exclusive/

If this is true, it's possible we'll first see Joker and Harley in Suicide Squad before facing off against Affleck's Batman in a future Bat movie.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Although I prefer Gosling overall, I think Leto is a better choice for The Joker.  I can't imagine Gosling's version differing that much from Heath Ledger's, whereas I can see Leto going for a creepier, more sinister vibe than either Gosling or Ledger
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat,  8 Nov  2014, 01:12
Although I prefer Gosling overall, I think Leto is a better choice for The Joker.  I can't imagine Gosling's version differing that much from Heath Ledger's, whereas I can see Leto going for a creepier, more sinister vibe than either Gosling or Ledger

Interesting. I'm only familiar with Jared Leto in American Psycho, where Patrick Bateman described to him what makes Huey Lewis & The News so great before hacking him to death with an axe. Are there any movies with Jared Leto do you recommend where he can play this kind of role?

I'd be excited for the Joker's return on screen, as long as he doesn't look like an emo-goth with Glasgow smiles or looks like Leatherface i.e. New 52.  >:(

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat,  8 Nov  2014, 01:36
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat,  8 Nov  2014, 01:12

Interesting. I'm only familiar with Jared Leto in American Psycho, where Patrick Bateman described to him what makes Huey Lewis & The News so great before hacking him to death with an axe. Are there any movies with Jared Leto do you recommend where he can play this kind of role?

I'd be excited for the Joker's return on screen, as long as he doesn't look like an emo-goth with Glasgow smiles or looks like Leatherface i.e. New 52.  >:(
I'm afraid to say I only really know Leto from the old TV show "My So Called Life" where he played a spaced-out teenage heartthrob.  I've seen 'Fight Club', 'Requiem for a Dream' and 'Panic Room' all good films but to be perfectly honest he doesn't really stand out in any of them.  However, I do hear he gave a great performance in 'Dallas Buyers Club' for which he won an Oscar.

But he seems a lot more low-key than Gosling.

And I could see him playing a young, punky looking Joker on the basis of the following pic:

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

After having watched, Dallas Buyers Club, I have faith Leto can pull off playing the Joker. That guy was incredible in that film.

Really can't see Ryan Gosling in the part. Nothing really against him, since I don't mind him, and liked Drive, but I just can't see it. Don't believe the part really suits him. At all. Could see him as Deadshot more than I can as the Joker.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Rafael Albuquerque's posted his variant cover art for the DC Rebirth Batman #1 on Instagram. The Joker here bears a strong resemblance to Leto's incarnation. Is this the Joker's new Rebirth look, or merely a variant cover tribute to the upcoming Suicide Squad movie?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFjhE9lko9V/

Quote from: The Joker on Mon, 10 Nov  2014, 18:32
Really can't see Ryan Gosling in the part. Nothing really against him, since I don't mind him, and liked Drive, but I just can't see it. Don't believe the part really suits him. At all. Could see him as Deadshot more than I can as the Joker.

Drive is an amazing movie and Gosling should've been Barry Allen. Perfect height, build and facial features, plus he'd be the first Barry to have the blonde hair and blue eyes of the comic book character.

Might just be the cover, but I wouldn't doubt DC starting to make the comic book Joker look similar to Leto's Joker. I recall DC giving the Joker facial scars, similar to Heath Ledger's Joker, prior to The Dark Knight coming out in 2008.

Course this was well before he had his whole face removed.  ;)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I think Leto's Joker is feeling very unique. Unique in the sense he's capturing a lot of different moods of the character, as seen in the comic books. I think the overall vibe he's giving is a gangster living the high life. Someone rougher around the edges, sporting many tattoos, but doing his 'job' in style with decorative guns. He could wear a tuxedo if one is available, and probably enjoys doing so. But he's probably more at home without a shirt at all. Being the real street animal he is. I have grown to really like the aesthetic, even though it was a shock to the system at first. He's someone I can see being intensely serious and playfully violent.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/suicide_squad/new-suicide-squad-collectible-reveals-the-joker-sporting-a-comic-a142391

A recent toy reveals that Joker may have the dragon tattoo on his back, like the Joker in All Star Batman & Robin.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...