is it just me or is some of the dialogue awful?

Started by mrrockey, Tue, 28 Oct 2014, 23:17

Previous topic - Next topic
Is it just me or is some of the dialogue in this film just downright awful? In the scene where Selina confronts Daggett about the clean slate, everyone gives clever comebacks non-stop and it just doesn't sound natural. And to be honest, even the "clever comebacks", aren't that good, some of them I thought just sounded like they're trying too hard to be witty and came off a little cringey.

I don't know, am I the only one who thought some of the dialogue was awful?

It's not just you...
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

It's not just you; Nolan sems to make every character a genius in those films. The characters don't deliver normal lines and it's not realistic for every character to be smart to near psychic extents. Heck Batman seems like one of the dumber characters in these films.

Blake's conversation with Gordon after Bruce's fake (or at least very premature) funeral is just cringeworthy. "Structures becoming shackles, something something injustice, I can't take it". Aside from how little sense it makes for the character, it's terrible dialogue and a terrible delivery.

It doesn't count for this film but for some reason I really didn't like the line spoken by a Gotham citizen: "Things are worse than ever!!" at Harvey Dent. The very same line was uttered by Rachel in Batman Begins and I found it to be highly repetitious and a mistake. Very juvenilistic a thing to say actually. Maybe it's just me? It wasn't exactly well delivered by the actor either but I felt pretty much all the extras in the Nolan movies were kind of dreadful in their acting and facial expressions.

Gordon's dramatic final speech in The Dark Knight is possibly the silliest thing of them all. I mean yes, it's a good dramatic final speech. Did he have to be saying it to his simple minded kid however? I doubt he has a clue just what in the hell his daddy is talking about lol "Wha pop?....a silent guardian, watchful protector?....or just a dude with bat ears and a cape?"

I can't find the interest to see The Dark Knight Rises but I will say that the two Burton Batman movies have much better dialogue and witty lines than Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

the issue with the Nolan films is that every character acts like a philosopher. Who talks like that?

Quotethe issue with the Nolan films is that every character acts like a philosopher. Who talks like that?

I like it better in the old movies where most Gothamites seem to be idiots except for Bruce, Alfred, their friends and the villains. Idiots who are always being tricked by the villains into thinking Batman is the bad guy and the villains are their friends. And poor Batman who is so hated by the city nonetheless puts his life on the line to save the ungrateful fools.

And I'm not being sarcastic here. I genuinely like this portrayal of the people in the Batman universe.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 29 Jul  2015, 01:58
Blake's conversation with Gordon after Bruce's fake (or at least very premature) funeral is just cringeworthy. "Structures becoming shackles, something something injustice, I can't take it". Aside from how little sense it makes for the character, it's terrible dialogue and a terrible delivery.
How does it make little sense for his character? There was a whole scene where he gets angry at a cop because he's following orders.

The expository and repetitive dialogue in these films was one of the many things that really annoyed the crap out of me.

For example, the word "fear" was repeated nearly thirty times in Batman Begins. How many times did the audience have to be told that Bruce had to overcome his own fear of bats and use it as a weapon in order to become Batman? It's unnecessary! We already get the idea once we watched the scene where Bruce gets attacked by bats when he was a kid. There's no need for this heavy handed dialogue. It's not clever, and it's only slowing down the film to a snail's crawl.

Look, exposition has its place and it's unrealistic to completely avoid it. But it shouldn't take up screen-time away from the action either. B89 for example used exposition when it had to, i.e. Det. Eckhardt accusing Jack Napier for being a lunatic. But once Jack becomes the Joker, the exposition stops and then you see how insane he really is. 

For all the talk about Batman and Harvey Dent being symbols, we don't really get to see what sort of impression they're having on the wider public. And this is one of the many reasons I say Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy is way better. When Peter Parker becomes Spider-Man, you get to see what sort of impact he's having on the public. He becomes so symbolic to Manhattan that you saw people promising to keep his identity a secret as a sign of gratitude for saving their lives from Doctor Octopus, as well as showing their appreciation for his return after a lengthy absence. Even the first Amazing Spider-Man movie had the hero inspired gratitude when those construction builders helped him up to reach the Oscorp building, because of their sons was saved by Spidey earlier on. If it was up to Christopher Nolan to direct the 2002 film, we would never have gotten that cool montage sequence of Spider-Man rescuing people while others on camera give their opinions about whether he is a hero or a menace. I bet the "great power, great responsibility" line would be repeated over and over again instead, and I can imagine that the second act would take up explaining every tedious little detail of how the Spider-Man costume is created.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei