Michael Gough's Alfred

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sun, 26 Oct 2014, 00:41

Previous topic - Next topic
Who else believes that Gough is still the best live action Alfred to date?  8)

After thinking about Alfred throughout the Burton/Schumacher films, I've always appreciated that he still wants the best for Bruce while staying loyal to him at the same time. Whether it may be encouraging Bruce to give love a chance with Vicki, helping out during the Penguin and Riddler ordeals and the emotional scene together with Clooney's Bruce in B&R, I'd say this Alfred is still admirable. Of course, some might argue that he let Vicki in the Batcave, but I'd say Vicki already knew about Bruce's true identity and decided to let her talk to Bruce about it.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I personally think they make Alfred way too abrasive these days. Y'know with Michael Caine and everything. Even Sean Pertwee in Gotham still has that touch of cockney aggression there. I know he's supposed to be a former combat vet but still, I miss the days of Michael Gough who embodied the "sweet old man" version of Alfred. That of course all pays off beautifully in Batman and Robin when he seems to be dying. Can you imagine how wrongly those scenes would play if he were always the tough Sgt Major type?

I know some fans will argue he's too sweet and nice. But really Batman needs at least some kind of fatherly love and caring from the guy than just being shouted at to shape up y'know? I enjoy in Batman Forever his obvious disagreement with Bruce over Dick's situation. But it never descends into that tiresome (and for me, out of character) bickering that was seen with Bale and Caine. I find it more interesting Alfred gets his point across as the wise old father figure he should be than the military man of mere strategy.

I also like the whole look of Gough. Who can forget those little glasses and bowler hat he wore in almost all 4 films? There was always a recognisable Alfred look there that became iconic to me. That's all gone to pot now with Caine and Pertwee lol

The tough alfred works better in Earth one; having him be more of a mentor and keep Bruce in check.

Caines Alfred was good in begins but he criticized Bruce every step of the way and left when he needed him the most.

Gough's Alfred was more of a senior mentor helping Bruce get to the next phase of his life. Each sequel he actually played a pivotal role;

Returns he seemed to figure out Selina was Catwoman before Bruce did but allowed Bruce to find out on his own
Forever he was the reason Bruce and Dick became partners
Batman and Robin he prepares Bruce to trust others.

Gough's Alfred did provide that warmth and consideration that Bruce needed when he is contemplating about something. The deleted scene in Batman Forever where Alfred encourages Bruce to consider moving on from Batman after avenging his parents and declining crime rate in Gotham, and find another chance at happiness with Chase Meridian is another good example. Of course, I found it odd that Bruce claimed he never felt in love before because it totally contradicted his relationships for Vicki and Selina. But I digress. That scene should never have been cut.

Quote from: riddler on Sun, 26 Oct  2014, 01:27
Caines Alfred was good in begins but he criticized Bruce every step of the way and left when he needed him the most.

Agreed. I liked Caine as a concerned father figure in BB, but I found him to be incredibly annoying in the second film because of his endless monologues. And I didn't buy his reasoning that he tried to spare Bruce more pain by keeping Rachel's letter a secret because that did more harm to Bruce, if anything. And then he leaves right when Gotham is eventually on the verge of another crisis.  ::)

Quote from: riddler on Sun, 26 Oct  2014, 01:27
Gough's Alfred was more of a senior mentor helping Bruce get to the next phase of his life. Each sequel he actually played a pivotal role;

I actually don't remember that! Are you talking about the scene where Bruce and Selina try to leave Wayne Manor at the same time?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

i haven't seen gotham yet but between michael gough and michael caine, there's no comparison. michael gough WAS alfred, at least to me. i like the attitude of the animated alfred, but nolan's alfred was grating, not funny or endearing.

my only question is, no votes for alan napier? lol.

Agreed, Catwoman.

Alan Napier was a great Alfred for the Adam West show. They even named Jack Nicholson's character after him!

QuoteI actually don't remember that! Are you talking about the scene where Bruce and Selina try to leave Wayne Manor at the same time?

Yes that scene. I don't know if Alfred concludes that she is catwoman but he likely suspects she's a vigilante of sorts. And he doesn't tell Bruce because they are both apologetic next time they meet.

Napier was good as well. He and Gough played similar roles. I like to think that Alfred remembers tucking Bruce in as a child and still does it in a sense as an adult.

Take this comparison; you can't even count the number of times Caine criticized Bruce and constantly acts as though Bruce is letting his parents and everyone else down. Caines Alfred in Batman & Robin "Spending a life looking after heroes is hardly a regret. My only regret was that I wasn't out there fighting with you". Gough saved the worst movie in that franchise. Bruces first time donning the cape in 8 years, he barely got his cowl off before Caine was ripping him a new one; if his character is so bent on tough love, why did he let Bruce stop living for 8 years?

Quote from: riddler on Sun, 26 Oct  2014, 12:15
Take this comparison; you can't even count the number of times Caine criticized Bruce and constantly acts as though Bruce is letting his parents and everyone else down. Caines Alfred in Batman & Robin "Spending a life looking after heroes is hardly a regret. My only regret was that I wasn't out there fighting with you". Gough saved the worst movie in that franchise. Bruces first time donning the cape in 8 years, he barely got his cowl off before Caine was ripping him a new one; if his character is so bent on tough love, why did he let Bruce stop living for 8 years?

Because of that, I no longer feel bad that Gough's Alfred fell for Two-Face and Riddler's cheap trick-or-treat disguise in Batman Forever.  ;)

Caine's Alfred in the second and third films is yet another example why I couldn't stand almost any of the characters in that trilogy. They're just set up for insincere and forced drama if you ask me.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat,  1 Nov  2014, 00:14
Quote from: riddler on Sun, 26 Oct  2014, 12:15

Because of that, I no longer feel bad that Gough's Alfred fell for Two-Face and Riddler's cheap trick-or-treat disguise in Batman Forever.  ;)

Caine's Alfred in the second and third films is yet another example why I couldn't stand almost any of the characters in that trilogy. They're just set up for insincere and forced drama if you ask me.

You can add Alfred to the list of Nolan characters with contradictory agendas;

throughout the second filmhe was encouraging bruce to mecome Batman and continue being batman, fighting for Harvey Dent and battling the joker. Yet in the 3rd film what does he do?
-criticized Bruce for drawing the police off Bane (and by the way I don't understand why he chose THAT moment to return in the cowl. Al he did was help Bane get away) he didn't seem to attempt to pursue Bane.
-leaves on the basis that he doesn't want to bury any more Waynes.
Yet he also encourages Bruce to reclaim his old life.

Gough's Alfred had a fatherly touch to him that the others didn't quite have. There was a sweetness,a tenderness and a concern for Bruce that was moving and very sincere. I will always regard Gough's Alfred as my favorite on screen and although he has passed, I'm glad he lived to a ripe old age of 94.