Schumacher Writing Comics?!

Started by BatmAngelus, Fri, 24 Oct 2014, 19:56

Previous topic - Next topic
According to Bleeding Cool:
QuoteBecause Bleeding Cool has been told that Joel Schumacher is writing a twelve issue Batman comic, currently being drawn by Dustin Nguyen, which will revisit his intentions for the three films, or which two were made. Rewritten from scratch and telling one story, this will contain his original vision for the movies.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10/24/joel-schumacher-to-revisit-batman-forever-batman-robin-and-batman-triumphant-in-year-long-comic-with-dustin-nguyen/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

A redo of Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, plus his intentions for another film- all written into one comic.

Not sure if this is legit. If it is, maybe some day, Burton will do one, too, and we'd finally find out what he wouldve done for a third film and what villains/characters he would've used.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Not bad. I heard he wanted to make the films darker but the studio wanted them more kid-friendly.

If this is true, it will be interesting to see how different the characters and the tone will be from the movies.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Fri, 24 Oct  2014, 21:16
Not bad. I heard he wanted to make the films darker but the studio wanted them more kid-friendly.

I'm not sure if I buy into that. If Schumacher wasn't happy with the kid-friendly tone, then he could have simply left. But not only did he directed those films, he also decided to have these weird body close-up shots and bizarre costume details i.e. nipples. I think he knew what he was doing. He wanted to get a reaction from the audience.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

If someone up there likes me, then this will be a surprise hit and inspire WB to let Joel reassemble an extended cut of BF for limited home video release or digital (it really wouldn't cost any money, just the cost of scanning the deleted material into HD for reintegration).

But about the announcement: I. AM. THRILLED. If they can get Sam Hamm to write a Burton continuation comic or whatnot, then I may just die of happiness.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

An exciting development. This is Schumacher's chance to walk his talk. As Doc says, hopefully this leads to an official Batman Forever director's cut, and Burton's universe being expanded in comics.

Batman Forever would've been darker without studio interference (like changing Two-Face's escape from Arkham to Alfred asking Batman is he wants a sandwich). But by time Batman & Robin was being made, there was no attempt from him to make it darker, I agree.

Like The Dark Knight, I hope Burton's vision will be expanded into the comic-book universe some how, but I sadly don't hold much hope for a Burton-penned comic-book since Burton was never really a fan of comic-books, unlike Schumacher.  :(

My dream would be for Sam Hamm and Daniel Waters to get to do their original Batman, the unfilmed Batman 2 and Batman Returns screenplays as comic-books, maybe even expand them a bit.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I think a Batman 3 in a collected one-shot form would be enough for me. The full likeness of Keaton, Gough, Hingle, Billy Dee, etc of course. Any subsequent adventures would be a bonus.

I think it's pretty much a given that Batman Forever was intended to be darker. We've seen the deleted scenes. WB's agenda was well known hence why Burton left

Batman and Robin only had one deleted scene, I agree Schumacher never intended to make it dark though again it's been well documented WB wanted it to be lighter.

I do kind of wish we got to see Trimphant; Schumacher made one light film, one half dark, half light film, it would have been interesting to see his all dark film.

That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...