Kevin Smith's Batman 1989 and Batman Returns audio commentaries

Started by Batman, Thu, 23 Oct 2014, 15:25

Previous topic - Next topic
I always enjoy listening to his Podcasts but I am unsure whether or not to listen to the two audio commentaries, since I'm weirdly sensitive listening to critical comments towards movies I like.
He's a deep admirer of the 1989 film, but from what I've heard he didn't like Batman Returns as much, or at least thought it came off as campy when he recently re-watched it.

Did anyone listen to them?

Batman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojrNy_2PHN8

Batman Returns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3tbONeVXCw

I've heard both commentaries and enjoyed them, but if you're sensitive towards the criticism, then I wouldn't listen to either one as he and Marc Bernardin are critical to both.

In some of their points, I agree with them, in others, I don't agree at all, but I think the pair's entertaining and basically feel like a couple of Batman fans, just knocking back a couple beers and watching the movies.

That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Returns didn't seem to have any love thrown at it, so I didn't get far. But '89 is given ample affection, and his pokes don't seem mean-spirited, but instead playful.

"If you watched the movie with the sound off, you might think that the plot was 'The Joker tries to take over the Monarch Theater,' based on how often you see the damn thing in the background."  ;D
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Heh, if you're sensitive to criticism, I would stay far away from their commentary. They rip this movie a new asshole. I like Kevin Smith, so I found it to be extremely funny in spots, even if I don't agree with him completely. But they do make some good points, and then they just sh*t on it for laughs. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I just want another episode of Fat Man on Batman. His last episode was on July 4th.

Gave the BR one a skim listen.

People either 'get' the movie or they don't. No harm done.

We've heard these criticisms all before.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 24 Oct  2014, 00:08
Gave the BR one a skim listen.

People either 'get' the movie or they don't. No harm done.

We've heard these criticisms all before.
That's a good attitude to take, although I felt his criticisms for 'Batman Returns' were rather harsh and felt almost personal at times (he and his friend laid into everything simply because the film wasn't 'true' to the source material).  The 'Batman 1989' commentary is fun though, and the criticisms are reasonable and light-hearted.

I tend to listen/read most commentaries/analyses/reviews on 'Batman Returns', good, bad or indifferent.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will give Batman Returns a pass. I listened to quite a bit of Batman Forever (which I enjoy) and it was a fun listen. Might give Batman 1989 a listen as well now.

Has anyone watched Oliver Harper's Batman Returns review? I thought his Batman 1989 one was rather well done from what I remember.

Quote from: Batman on Fri, 24 Oct  2014, 14:58
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will give Batman Returns a pass. I listened to quite a bit of Batman Forever (which I enjoy) and it was a fun listen. Might give Batman 1989 a listen as well now.

Has anyone watched Oliver Harper's Batman Returns review? I thought his Batman 1989 one was rather well done from what I remember.
I recall Oliver Harper's review of 'Batman Returns' being very negative without any of Smith's humour to sweeten the bitter pill.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Fri, 24 Oct  2014, 00:27
I felt his criticisms for 'Batman Returns' were rather harsh and felt almost personal at times (he and his friend laid into everything simply because the film wasn't 'true' to the source material).

Is there any movie really 'true' to the source material? Nowadays I've come to realise that none of the films based on comics is accurate; in fact they all tend to differ a lot from comics. I suppose it is really a question of whether you like a movie's changes or not.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I'm beyond being offended by these run of the mill negative opinions re: Batman Returns. It's water off a duck's back, but I'm always up for debates on said topics if need be. It's interesting that BR is underrated if anything, and while having a bunch of interesting themes and dark moments, the severity of these can be overrated by some. It's still a Batman movie at the core. A unique one.