Slight issue I have with The Avengers and others

Started by Grissom, Sun, 19 Oct 2014, 19:55

Previous topic - Next topic
I have enjoyed Marvels films for the most part, I find them fun and entertaining, but I'm still a DC guy through and through. The main issue I have is that the in-between movies, like Captain America 2, Iron Man 3 etc before we get the other Avengers, are just pieces of a whole.

Alot of the events that takes place in these films will then play a bigger part in the Avengers films. This being said, there isn't alot of room to expand on storylines or introduce very interesting villains. Everything is a build up to the Avengers 2, 3 etc. I don't mind it because that's how MArvel wants to do it. I know we'll be getting two Justice League movies, but I'm wondering if the other stand-alone films are just pieces of the Main Justice League films.

We may actually be a little cheated out of variety of storylines and characters because, as I stress, it's just a piece of the bigger pie.

You make a very good point Grissom, about each film being a trail for the Big Event (i.e. the Avengers movies), but so far I don't think Marvel Studios has made a single shabby movie, although some are clearly better than others, whereas I am still very sceptical about the direction DC is going, stuffing 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' with far too many characters (although I do like the idea of the Carrie Kelly incarnation of Robin, said to be played by Jenna Malone, making an appearance).  I am also of the opinion that even the weakest MCU films are marginally better the rather dreary and relentless 'Man of Steel'.

Although my favourite comic-book films, or at least the ones that got me interested in superheroes to begin with, are the Burton Batman films, which is why this site and the 'Batman89' site are two of my very favourites, I guess I'm a neutral when it comes to Marvel v DC, and at the moment, as far as the current films go, Marvel is definitely winning (excluding what various other studios are doing to FU the likes of the X-Men, Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

So far in the last 10 years Marvel is winning with the movies DC with TV. You could say that Marvel's only attempted one show but DC is 3 for 3 so far.

Here's a list of scenes in the MCA films which served no purpose for the films they were in but included as Avenger pieces; (not counting credit scenes since those are expected)

Iron Man; Basically Phil Coulsons involvement
Incedible Hulk the tony stark scene
Iron Man 2. Actually only the final meeting with Stark and Fury. Fury does 'cure' Tony earlier in the film and Natasha does help save him so as much as this film gets a rap for being an Avengers trailer, they did tie most of it into the plot of the film
Captain America; the scene in the present
Thor: Not really any although Loki was the villain for the Avengers

Hard to tell with the phase two films so far. I kind of got the vibe with the Guardians of the Galaxy that there were easter eggs to be picked up later, particularly with the collector. Though in phase one you got the sense that Marvel wanted to establish that these characters exist in the same universe. Now that it's well known, there isn't the urgency to connect the films.

I'm also a DC fan more, from Marvel I like Spider-Man and Iron Man the most, I think the rest are cool too but I'm not a huge fan, and growing up with the Justice League animated series made me love DC heroes like Superman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Flash, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman and Hawkgirl as well as Batman.

I don't have problems with the MCU , except that many of their villains, with Loki being the notable exception, aren't that interesting or threatening.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Mon, 20 Oct  2014, 11:13

I don't have problems with the MCU , except that many of their villains, with Loki being the notable exception, aren't that interesting or threatening.

That's where I feel DC has the biggest leg up on Marvel; the villains. Spidey is the only one with a rogue gallery compelling enough to draw people to read about them vs. the heroes. The remaining heroes only have 2 or 3 arch villains. No surprise the only marvel characters I'd put in my top 5 comic characters are Spider-man (with his rogue gallery) and Daredevil (who can be interesting fighting regular street thugs like batman).

I've felt that way too, DC has the stronger villains. They are more dynamic and intersting and there motives are sometimes more far reaching or unique.  In my opinion, Loki and Ultron want sort of the same thing, world domination and bring into subjection or eliminate humans. Loki tried it with an alien invasion,  Ultron will try it with robots.
Avengers 2 should be fun but it's sort of the same storyline from what I can see thus far.

Other than Red Skull and one or two others for Marvel, I don't have a whole lot of interest in the villains on Marvel's end.