Keaton Willing to Play Batman Again...

Started by Slash Man, Sun, 12 Oct 2014, 04:17

Previous topic - Next topic
This actually popped up on Yahoo...
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/michael-keaton-says-hed-play-batman-again-under-one-99645220277.html

The Dark Knight Returns and Batman Beyond immediately come to mind, but really any Batman would be welcomed simply with Keaton. I'm surprised that Keaton hasn't giving the "I'm too old" excuse yet; if he still has confidence, I do as well - I'd be nice to see Burton's Batman come full circle, even if just for one more film.

a sequel to batman returns, ignoring the schumacher movies and just tying up tim's universe would be amazing. maybe they could do it as an animated movie and not have to worry about sets and props and all the budgets. would HAVE to be hand drawn animation though. maybe with a weathered look. it'd be a masterpiece.

Quote from: Catwoman on Sun, 12 Oct  2014, 05:10
a sequel to batman returns, ignoring the schumacher movies and just tying up tim's universe would be amazing. maybe they could do it as an animated movie and not have to worry about sets and props and all the budgets. would HAVE to be hand drawn animation though. maybe with a weathered look. it'd be a masterpiece.

I think you're right - an animated film would be a better alternative than a live action one. Let's face it, Keaton looks too old now. A live action film might've been possible twelve years ago when he was in his early 50s.

Slightly off-topic, but he doesn't keep up with the Batman franchise at all.

Source: http://www.localsyr.com/story/d/story/michael-keaton-has-not-interest-in-batman-films/23736/IZeB8_v6RESgmIRvi15w3w
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I'm actually glad to hear that. What made him so great in the first place was that he didn't follow any conventions/cliches and came off as original.

And yeah, the animated feature idea definitely sounds good as well. With that, they could literally pick up where Returns left off. The possibilities are endless. Best case scenario, a TV show (though that's pushing it). DC has a good system going with its animated features, so there's another way to make it happen.

Still, as much as it's said that Keaton's too old, I assume it won't be much longer that he's willing to play such a physically demanding role (even with the liberal allowances of stunt doubles). Back to live action, I still think an appropriation of The Dark Knight Returns for the Burton universe would work, and maybe even leave the possibility for future films. The retired and vengeful Batman going back into action has always been a favorite plot point of mine. Though in addition to Keaton, I think we'd need some other key actors to return. Mainly, Michelle Pfeiffer, who has thankfully aged with grace. I think this'll also be a great opportunity to finally have Billy Dee as Two-Face; from his past views, it sounds like he'd jump at the opportunity to finally take the part.

Quote from: Slash Man on Sun, 12 Oct  2014, 05:51
I'm actually glad to hear that. What made him so great in the first place was that he didn't follow any conventions/cliches and came off as original.

You see, the thing is that he kinda did.

"I never saw the other ones [in the 1990s] but I saw most of the one that starred Heath Ledger which, if you me, is off-the-charts. Amazing stuff. The whole thing was great, everyone involved is great. That approach and that tone is exactly what I wanted to do with the third film when we first talked about it.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/batman-michael-keaton-on-the-dark-knight-and-a-lost-scene-from-1989-film/

But now Keaton is saying that he has never finished seeing the Nolan films, despite giving them positive reviews. How the hell can you be sure if a movie is good if you haven't finished watching it?  ???

Is he trying to say that he liked the idea of an origin story and the tone, rather than judging the films as they are?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Sounds like he's playing Bruce Wayne in all these interviews that he can't make up his mind  ;)

If Keaton's willing, maybe Tim Burton should think about it too.

Even if all parties are willing, WB is not going to sign off on live action given Batman vs Superman

still if they were to pick it up I'd prefer to do something similar to what Batflecks film is doing; skip over continuity, have an aging Batman. Perhaps even an arkham asylum film (with the obvious fact that they can't have the Joker) with a rogue gallery there.

How cool would it be with Johnny Depp as a bad guy?

QuoteA few weeks ago Christian Bale admitted that he was a little envious of Ben Affleck suiting up as The Dark Knight in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, but Michael Keaton doesn't share his jealousy.

Responding to a question from Shortlist about whether he ever gets jealous seeing someone else in the role, the Birdman star stated: "No. Do you know why? Because I'm Batman. I'm very secure in that."

Keaton went on to discuss the impact of Tim Burton's Batman on the superhero movie: "Tim changed, or started, everything. And I'm proud of the choice I made, in terms of how to play Batman. It's probably easier now because Tim paved the way, and if I did anything to pave the way, I'm proud of that, too. I've never seen [a superhero movie] beginning to end. Oh actually, I saw the first Spider-Man – I thought that was really good. You can step into it more easily now, is my guess. Technically, [superhero movies] do everything for you. They create a world where all you've basically got to do is show up, not f*ck it up too much and you'll come off OK."

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/12/michael-keaton-isnt-jealous-ben-affleck-im-batman-im-secure.html

Great answer, if rather cocky.  8)

He definitely should be doing voice work as a 'return' to the franchise.

I love that quote. So badass.

And he's kind of right about superhero movies. All the stuff is there already, you've just got to do it and not screw it up.