Continuity

Started by Slash Man, Sun, 5 Oct 2014, 04:39

Previous topic - Next topic
You're right that Bruce knew Selina for only a week, if that. But I'm not that convinced that their relationship was only a fling. I always thought Bruce asking Selina to go back home and be together with him while trying to talk her out of killing Schreck (especially his "split down the center" line) meant that he had intimate feelings for her. And Selina must have had some feelings for him too if she said "I could live with you in your castle forever, but I can't live with myself". For what it's worth, the scripts intended that there was romantic chemistry between the two.

Interesting point about Vicki Vale though. I guess I always assumed that Bruce must have had some affection for her if he went through the trouble of going to her apartment and tried to explain his behavior, and nearly revealed that he's Batman. At best, I guess you could argue that Bruce thought he could've potentially loved her, but realized later on that he didn't. But that's probably what you meant anyway.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 27 Jul  2015, 09:59
You're right that Bruce knew Selina for only a week, if that. But I'm not that convinced that their relationship was only a fling. I always thought Bruce asking Selina to go back home and be together with him while trying to talk her out of killing Schreck (especially his "split down the center" line) meant that he had intimate feelings for her. And Selina must have had some feelings for him too if she said "I could live with you in your castle forever, but I can't live with myself". For what it's worth, the scripts intended that there was romantic chemistry between the two.

Interesting point about Vicki Vale though. I guess I always assumed that Bruce must have had some affection for her if he went through the trouble of going to her apartment and tried to explain his behavior, and nearly revealed that he's Batman. At best, I guess you could argue that Bruce thought he could've potentially loved her, but realized later on that he didn't. But that's probably what you meant anyway.
His feelings for Selina, by my understanding, was rooted in the negative connection of their self-destructive tendencies.

A very small easter egg; when Barbara successfully hacks into Alfreds CD rom, it clearly shows images of the batwing and bat boat.

Stylistically Forever and B&R feel very much as two connecting stories. But I preferred Clooney's Bruce Wayne to Kilmer's because he seemed more like a mentor to Chris O'Donnell's Dick Grayson than Val. To me Val's Bruce seemed a little too close in age to Dick to be that adult voice in his life. But in terms of story telling, I thought Schumacher was pretty consistent between those two. B&R was a good continuation because Bruce had found his purpose at the end of Forever and could be the hero he needed (and wanted) to be. So Clooney's Batman was a logical progression in that development. And honestly? I was pleased with that. It was great to finally see a Batman that wasn't strapped to so much personal grief. I know some prefer their hero in that frame of mind, but I found it refreshing to just be a hero driven to do good things without being chased by his past as much.