Character development in the Burton films

Started by The Laughing Fish, Tue, 23 Sep 2014, 11:44

Previous topic - Next topic
As everybody knows, Batman films tend to focus a lot on the villains, and until arguably recently, the Burton films were criticized for this. Fans, and me being one of them of course, tend to appreciate the subtlety and mystery around the main character, whereas critics tend to argue that he is often overshadowed by the antagonists. While I can understand this complain for the second film, the thing I liked most about B89 is that shows us a mystery story about the main character. I've always thought that this is a more compelling idea instead of the routine origin story, and in my opinion, would work better even if I knew absolutely nothing about the character. We see Batman in the beginning, and then we get the idea that he is Bruce Wayne as the film progresses, while slowly giving us a clear idea what made him become a crime fighter. There are hints that something mysteriously tragic happened to him, but it is built up towards the end of the film. There is exposition surrounding his character, but only during moments when it's necessary and not overdone e.g. Vicki Vale and Alexander Knox discover Bruce's tragic past and instantly figure out that he is Batman.

It's undeniable that the villains in the two films all overshadow Batman (especially in BR), what makes it easy to accept it is that they have something in common with Batman. For better or worse, Joker and Batman being responsible for each other's existence, Catwoman is another damaged psyche whose only release in life is to be a costumed alter ego, and Penguin is an underground freak and an orphan who was initially longing for his parents (albeit to find his heritage). I guess Max Shreck is arguably the odd number out since he is a corrupt businessman who manipulates people for personal gain, unless you want to argue that he is an anti-Bruce Wayne of some kind.

All the villains are shown to have poignant moments too: Jack's descent into madness as he becomes the Joker and later gives a little poem about "crying from the inside" as he leaves Vicki's apartment, Selina's breakdown and unstable state of mind over the course of the film and Penguin looks on at his parents' graves. Even Shreck has one moment - where he is shown to have loyalty to his family by sacrificing himself for his son when surrendering to the Penguin.

But if there is one criticism I have with the two films, then I have to say that they don't give a clear insight into Batman's reaction towards his victory of the Joker and his reflection with his own violent ways when dealing with Catwoman. We never get to see how Batman feels after he avenged his parents, and mostly importantly, his retort that he and Catwoman aren't above the law during the final moments of BR doesn't ring true. There is one way to rationalize the second problem however - Batman sees himself as a reflection in Catwoman in they are both a product of tragic outcomes, and the two share a spiritual connection. We see Batman in a vulnerable state of mind as he desperately tries save his relationship with Selina by trying to convince her not to kill Shreck, but to no avail. In the end, Catwoman got her revenge like Batman did at the end of the first film and Gotham is saved...but Bruce is once again all alone. It's not exactly fleshed out; in fact, they could've taken that "Wrong at both counts" line out of the entire film and there would be no contradiction. But at least there is a tragic outcome that makes the ending compelling on an emotional level.

What do you guys think?  :-\
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei