Supergirl (CBS)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 20 Sep 2014, 16:30

Previous topic - Next topic
Me: Oh, wow, people have been talking a lot about this Supergirl show on the forum. Let's see what they say..
(clicks thread)
Me: ???

Anyways, Mehcad Brooks has been cast as Jimmy Olsen.
http://tvline.com/2015/01/28/supergirl-tv-show-mehcad-brooks-jimmy-olsen-cast-cbs/
Quotextra, extra, read all about it: CBS' Supergirl has snapped up Desperate Housewives vet Mehcad Brooks to play the classic role of shutterbug Jimmy Olsen, TVLine has learned.

Supergirl's version of Jimmy is described as a smart, worldly photographer for CatCo, the media company where Kara — played by Glee's Melissa Benoist — works. He has recently been living and working in National City, though the reason is still a secret, and his salt-of-the-earth nature quickly piques Kara's interest.

Brooks' TV resume also includes stints on Necessary Roughness, True Blood and The Game.

Other Supergirl roles still to be cast include Kara's science-minded foster sister, Alex; Cat Grant, the CEO of CatCo; CatCo colleague Wynn Schott; and Hank Henshaw, the Supergirl-obsessed director of the the DEO (Department of Extra-Normal Operations).

The Supergirl pilot was penned by Ali Adler (No Ordinary Family) and Greg Berlanti (Arrow), both of whom will exec-produce the series alongside Sarah Schechter (of Berlanti Productions) and Warner Bros. TV.
Finally, years after Chris Rock lost out on the role in Tim Burton's Superman Lives, we have a black Jimmy Olsen.  ;D

Apart from ethnicity, though, Mehcad Brooks seems to be more on the tough, athletic side (based on what I saw of him in Necessary Roughness) than the typical Jimmy that we're used to. We'll see how this will turn out.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Thu, 29 Jan  2015, 01:57
Me: Oh, wow, people have been talking a lot about this Supergirl show on the forum. Let's see what they say..
(clicks thread)

:-[

QuoteOther Supergirl roles still to be cast include Kara's science-minded foster sister, Alex; Cat Grant, the CEO of CatCo; CatCo colleague Wynn Schott; and Hank Henshaw, the Supergirl-obsessed director of the the DEO (Department of Extra-Normal Operations).

Is this supposed to be a reference to Toyman, a.ka. Winslow Schott?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Finally, years after Chris Rock lost out on the role in Tim Burton's Superman Lives, we have a black Jimmy Olsen.  ;D

Apart from ethnicity, though, Mehcad Brooks seems to be more on the tough, athletic side (based on what I saw of him in Necessary Roughness) than the typical Jimmy that we're used to. We'll see how this will turn out.

Clearly Tim Burton was ahead of his time with out-of-the-box casting decisions. Which, evidently, is becoming increasingly more common these days. For better or worse.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 29 Jan  2015, 09:48
(clicks thread)

I thought the debate about Superman being a killer or not and the appropriate version of Superman II was really interesting, even though this thread is about Supergirl.  :)

I've seen the 1984 Supergirl film with Helen Slater and Faye Dunaway, I didn't think it was really terrible. There, I said it.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Fri, 30 Jan  2015, 20:30
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 29 Jan  2015, 09:48
(clicks thread)

I thought the debate about Superman being a killer or not and the appropriate version of Superman II was really interesting, even though this thread is about Supergirl.  :)

I've seen the 1984 Supergirl film with Helen Slater and Faye Dunaway, I didn't think it was really terrible. There, I said it.
Unfortunately I do think it's pretty ropey, but I'm still glad you like it Edd.  And I can at least enjoy it in a campy way.  It's nowhere near as dull and lumbering as some of the worst CBMs of recent years.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Well I guess I was glad to contribute to your amusement Edd.  :-\

There are a couple of surprising things I've looked up about the show:

• There is a strong possibility that Superman had existed in the past - but whether or not he'll appear is yet to be determined.
          http://www.newsarama.com/23395-report-supergirl-s-first-foe-in-cbs-tv-series-revealed.html
  • The show is strangely described as a crime drama.
          http://www.theactionpixel.com/comics/supergirl-to-be-a-crime-drama/
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri, 30 Jan  2015, 22:46

Well I guess I was glad to contribute to your amusement Edd.  :-\
Well surely it is a very good thing Edd appreciates your thread Laughing Fish.  :-\
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

What do you mean by amusement? I didn't think it was funny, I actually thought you both brought some interesting points.  :-\

Perhaps amusement was a wrong word to describe your appreciation for the last couple of pages. I suppose interest is a more appropriate word. I should've made myself clearer. :)

Anyway, I'm not so convinced on the idea of making a Supergirl TV show as a crime drama, if that rumour is true. Shouldn't that be a little more adventurous than that?

"Crime drama" isn't the first thing that comes to my mind either when I think of Supergirl  :-\