deadpool (2016)

Started by riddler, Thu, 18 Sep 2014, 22:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Can't say I've read alot of Deadpool, but have read enough to see that the held-back-but-officially-released-teaser did the character justice. Sarcasm? Check. Tone? Check. Breaking 4th wall? Yup. Check!

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Deadpool, at some point, making fun of the interpretation we saw in that Wolverine Origins movie. It's too easy of a target not to.  :D

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Here's the leaked test footage of Reynolds as Deadpool.

This could be a real shot in the arm for Fox's Marvel universe.

After seeing the teaser trailer, it's honestly kinda underwhelming for me. The problem is, it just looks like another MCU wannabe film albeit with a tad more swearing and violence. To me, a Deadpool movie should be more than that. It really should go all-out nuts with over-the-top violence, constant fourth-wall breaking jokes, and an unapologetic, politically-incorrect sense of humor. So far, while nothing about it looks really bad, it just looks like your typical Marvel movie with the witty banter and the smartass, wisecracking hero, just with a R-rating. Of course, I'm not riding off the film completely yet, as I do think Ryan Reynolds nails Deadpool and his costume looks excellent but I wanna see signs in the next trailer that the film will live up to those things.

Quote from: mrrockey on Sat, 15 Aug  2015, 13:55
After seeing the teaser trailer, it's honestly kinda underwhelming for me. The problem is, it just looks like another MCU wannabe film albeit with a tad more swearing and violence. To me, a Deadpool movie should be more than that. It really should go all-out nuts with over-the-top violence, constant fourth-wall breaking jokes, and an unapologetic, politically-incorrect sense of humor. So far, while nothing about it looks really bad, it just looks like your typical Marvel movie with the witty banter and the smartass, wisecracking hero, just with a R-rating. Of course, I'm not riding off the film completely yet, as I do think Ryan Reynolds nails Deadpool and his costume looks excellent but I wanna see signs in the next trailer that the film will live up to those things.

Didn't you see the Red Band trailer? It looks pretty R-Rated to me, and has all that over-the-top violence and blue humour you're looking for. But we'll have to wait and see if he breaks the fourth wall.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

My view of Deadpool is that's the comic book for people who don't like comic books. The movie already looks more interesting to me than a lot of Marvel's upcoming stuff. So there's that.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 15 Aug  2015, 23:57
Quote from: mrrockey on Sat, 15 Aug  2015, 13:55

Didn't you see the Red Band trailer? It looks pretty R-Rated to me, and has all that over-the-top violence and blue humour you're looking for. But we'll have to wait and see if he breaks the fourth wall.

Yeah, I've seen it, but it didn't really change my mind. It isn't that it's not R-rated that's the problem('cause it is), it's more to do with how formulaic it seems to me. It just seems like a very standard superhero movie albeit with swearing and violence. From the teaser trailer, it seems like they're really toning down the character's fourth-wall breaking ability to the point where we can just easily accept him talking to himself within the world of the film. I'm also not a fan of how they chose to make it an origin story. I get that Deadpool isn't as well known to the mainstream as say, Spider-Man or the Hulk but I still don't think a film being centered on his origin is necessary. In my mind, a Deadpool film should just keep the origin in the background while the main plot is just Deadpool going on a wacky, violent, twisted, f***ed up, yet hilarious adventure. But like I said, I'm not completely riding the film off yet. This still has the potential to be great, it's just that this trailer hasn't really impressed me yet.

R rated subjects which we know have been confirmed in the trailers
-graphic violence
-profanity
-dangerous weapons
-sex/masterbating

I don't think this seems like any film we've seen before. My only complaint if you can call it that is the lack of breaking the fourth wall; it's believed he'll do it in the film but why not the trailer? Have him address the fact that it's a trailer for a movie.

Just watched it tonight with a group of friends.

Pleasantly surprised of how much I enjoyed it actually. Never been a big Deadpool reader, like the character alright, but once again, not a avid fan by any stretch of the imagination, but yeah, the film certainly delivered on what one would fully and unapologetically expect from a Deadpool movie. The violence, swearing, 4th wall breaking, in-jokes, varied and numerous pop culture references, yup, it's all there, and Ryan Reynolds definitely owns the role.

Oh, and I loved Colossus in this! Unquestionably the most impressionable live action version of him yet.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

**spoiler free review***

Great film here. Not like any other superhero film per se other than the fact that it makes no bones about it's character and takes no prisoners. Basically it gives Deadpool fans what they were hoping for an a gigantic F.U. to anyone who was hoping for any different. Now the humour isn't up to a hilarous level but there's quite a few jokes.

I'm surprised the reviews from critics were so strong, not that it's undeserved but you'd think this is the type of movie they'd pick on rather than admit they enjoyed it. It is humorous seeing some of the straws the critics are grasping at though to put the movie down; "it's fun, entertaining and enjoyable yet not an overly good movie"...aren't movies meant for entertainment?

Ryan Reynolds knocks that role out of the park and owns it the same way RDJ does Tony Stark... what a treat it would be to see those two characters in the same film although I don't know if we ever will.

the nice thing too is that the story isn't told completely linearly. Superhero films are the rare ones in which often the second film in the series is better than the first (X2> X1, The dark knight > batman begins, spider-man 2 > spider-man, captain america 2 >1, even the rise of the silver surfer sucked less than the other fantastic four movies)... not that its always the case but the chances of a sequel bettering the first film increase greatly with comic films vs other movies, possibly because we don't have to wait half the film to see the main character in costume. This film gets around that  by telling the first half as a flash back from a fight in the 'present' with Wilson as deadpool. So basically we get a few action scenes of deadpool intermittently told during the origin story of the first half to keep us entertained (compared to say Ang Lee's hulk or Nolans 1st and 3rd bat films which took forever to see the title character).

It's also nice that an R rated comic film was financially successful (the crow was as well but that isn't exactly a superhero film) so perhaps other character such as Spawn, Daredevil, or ghost rider will get the R rated treatments they deserve instead of the newtered PG versions.