Ghostbusters UK re-release?

Started by Cobblepot4Mayor, Mon, 25 Aug 2014, 21:02

Previous topic - Next topic
In a few days Ghostbusters gets a cinematic re-release in the States for it's anniversary.

I believe here in England there are plans to re-release it on cinemas too, but only for a mere day. Can anybody confirm the date it's expected to be on UK screens for me please?

Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Mon, 25 Aug  2014, 21:02
In a few days Ghostbusters gets a cinematic re-release in the States for it's anniversary.

I believe here in England there are plans to re-release it on cinemas too, but only for a mere day. Can anybody confirm the date it's expected to be on UK screens for me please?
Tuesday October 28.

By the way, the film was originally released in the UK in Christmas 1984, the same day as 'Gremlins'.  'Ghostbusters' and 'Gremlins' had incidentally been released on the same day in the US about six months earlier.

I wonder why 'Ghostbusters' isn't being released for Christmas 2014 in the UK, and why it's only being screened in cinemas for one day.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Here in the States, the re-release for GB starts Thursday night with select theaters, and, according to the poster, is being advertised as being a week-long engagement. Unfortunately, I'll be a bit too busy with work to check it out that opening Thurs night, but have definite plans to finally see GB in a actual movie theater this coming Saturday night, and looking VERY much forward to it!

Not too sure if the local theater for me will actually play it for an entire week though. Went last night and watched "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For", and after the film ended, and I stopped drooling in my seat (thanks Eva Green!!!), I asked a few employees about the GB re-release, and they seem to be under the impression that it's playing only thru the weekend. Might see it again Sunday if that's the case. As it being a personal favorite, I already know I would be game to watch it up on the silver screen more than once.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I'm definitely going to try and get to a screening. Ghostbusters was one of the most important movies of my childhood. I was hooked on the cartoon show since I was a toddler. I had the Ghostbuster fire station, Ecto-1, my own proton pack, all the picture books, t-shirts, action figures and other toys. Then, when I was about 6, I saw an advert on TV advertising a Ghostbusters movie. I didn't even know there was a movie! I can vividly remember watching it on TV the following Saturday night, then me and my friends re-enacting the entire film on the playground at school the next Monday. Such a great movie. I was visiting family in New York back in 2008, and my uncle, who used to a be a NY fireman, showed me the real Ghostbuster fire station in Tribeca. My life was complete at that moment.

I was lucky enough to see Ghostbusters on the cinema when it was re-released around Halloween 2011. It was great seeing it with a cinema full of people, all laughing at the jokes. It's lame that they're only releasing it for one day this time. It's always had a huge following here in the UK.

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 27 Aug  2014, 17:52Went last night and watched "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For", and after the film ended, and I stopped drooling in my seat (thanks Eva Green!!!)

What's the verdict on Sin City 2, Joker? Is it as bad as the critics are making it out to be?

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 29 Aug  2014, 16:13
I'm definitely going to try and get to a screening. Ghostbusters was one of the most important movies of my childhood. I was hooked on the cartoon show since I was a toddler. I had the Ghostbuster fire station, Ecto-1, my own proton pack, all the picture books, t-shirts, action figures and other toys. Then, when I was about 6, I saw an advert on TV advertising a Ghostbusters movie. I didn't even know there was a movie! I can vividly remember watching it on TV the following Saturday night, then me and my friends re-enacting the entire film on the playground at school the next Monday. Such a great movie. I was visiting family in New York back in 2008, and my uncle, who used to a be a NY fireman, showed me the real Ghostbuster fire station in Tribeca. My life was complete at that moment.

That's an awesome write up on your childhood with the Ghostbusters, and thanks for sharing! My childhood was very similar in that respect, where Ghostbusters had a huge impact in my life, and can certainly relate to being a hardcore fan. As I vividly recall having my father rent Ghostbusters for me from one of the local video stores pretty much every friday night for awhile, of course watching The REAL Ghostbusters every saturday morning, and often playing with the action figures/playsets associated with the cartoon, along with like you, re-enacting the movie and particular toon episodes with friends. Never have had the pleasure of actually visiting the actual fire station, but I can only imagine just how outstanding that must have truly been!

I was lucky enough to see Ghostbusters on the cinema when it was re-released around Halloween 2011. It was great seeing it with a cinema full of people, all laughing at the jokes. It's lame that they're only releasing it for one day this time. It's always had a huge following here in the UK.

Very cool.  8)

Tonight will be the first time I will actually see Ghostbusters in a theater, and I've been fairly restless as of late due to the excitement of it all. Truth be told, it's something I've wanted to see in a theater setting ever since I can remember, and being able to recall seeing GB2 at a young age in the theater with my mother and cousin back in 1989, I'm very happy to actually see the original up there on the silver screen.

Finally.

What's the verdict on Sin City 2, Joker? Is it as bad as the critics are making it out to be?

I thought it was very much on par with the first Sin City film to be honest, and can't say there was any sort of drop-off in quality. If you liked the first film, I don't see any reason why one would dislike this one. If you didn't like the original, skip it. Perhaps the novelty of the first film is gone, and the spectacle of that visualization/stylized direction isn't so fresh anymore since it's been a 9 year gap between the original and "Dame", but I felt it worked as a follow-up (as belated as it was), and was just as entertained as I was back in 2005. Like some other franchise films I can name, it has a formula, and it very much sticks to it.

Plus there's the Eva Green factor.  ;) With "A Dame to Kill For" being a follow-up that was discussed about for years following the 2005 film, I distinctly remember Angelina Jolie being rumored/touted as playing Ava Lord, and though I think she would have been a fine Ava (though I question how realistic that possibility was with the amount of nudity associated with the character), I found Eva to be a excellent choice, with sex appeal second to none. Just as the character herself is conveyed in the books. 

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Tue, 2 Sep 2014, 21:14 #5 Last Edit: Tue, 2 Sep 2014, 21:15 by Silver Nemesis
Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 30 Aug  2014, 20:23That's an awesome write up on your childhood with the Ghostbusters, and thanks for sharing! My childhood was very similar in that respect, where Ghostbusters had a huge impact in my life, and can certainly relate to being a hardcore fan. As I vividly recall having my father rent Ghostbusters for me from one of the local video stores pretty much every friday night for awhile, of course watching The REAL Ghostbusters every saturday morning, and often playing with the action figures/playsets associated with the cartoon, along with like you, re-enacting the movie and particular toon episodes with friends. Never have had the pleasure of actually visiting the actual fire station, but I can only imagine just how outstanding that must have truly been!

It was awesome! If I ever go back to New York I want to try and find Dana's apartment building. I know it's much smaller in real life than the special effects make it look in the film, but I'd still like to see it. And then re-enact Louis Tully's flight from the Terror Dog into Central Park.

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 30 Aug  2014, 20:23Tonight will be the first time I will actually see Ghostbusters in a theater, and I've been fairly restless as of late due to the excitement of it all.

Did you see it in the cinema, Joker? And if so, how did the audience respond?

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 30 Aug  2014, 20:23Truth be told, it's something I've wanted to see in a theater setting ever since I can remember, and being able to recall seeing GB2 at a young age in the theater with my mother and cousin back in 1989, I'm very happy to actually see the original up there on the silver screen.

Aw, I'd love to see Ghostbusters 2 on the big screen. I know a lot of people dismiss that one, but I've always liked it. It's clearly not as good as the original, but I don't think it's a bad movie in its own right. The trial is one of the funniest scenes in either film. And I've always thought it was scarier than the first film. The concept of the ghost inhabiting the painting is straight out of an M. R. James story. And that scene with the nanny... :(

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 30 Aug  2014, 20:23I thought it was very much on par with the first Sin City film to be honest, and can't say there was any sort of drop-off in quality. If you liked the first film, I don't see any reason why one would dislike this one. If you didn't like the original, skip it. Perhaps the novelty of the first film is gone, and the spectacle of that visualization/stylized direction isn't so fresh anymore since it's been a 9 year gap between the original and "Dame", but I felt it worked as a follow-up (as belated as it was), and was just as entertained as I was back in 2005. Like some other franchise films I can name, it has a formula, and it very much sticks to it.

Sounds like more or less what I was expecting. I like Mickey Rourke, so I'll probably see it at some point. I'm surprised by how badly it's done at the box office though. I guess that's the price for leaving it so long after the original. I also wonder if Frank Miller's much maligned adaptation of The Spirit (2008) had anything to do with its box office failure. Did that put people off films made in that style?

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  2 Sep  2014, 21:14
It was awesome! If I ever go back to New York I want to try and find Dana's apartment building. I know it's much smaller in real life than the special effects make it look in the film, but I'd still like to see it. And then re-enact Louis Tully's flight from the Terror Dog into Central Park.

:D That would be hilarious.  ;D 

Did you see it in the cinema, Joker? And if so, how did the audience respond?

I did. Twice.  ;)

Watched it Saturday night with friends and co-workers who like Ghostbusters, and then turned around and watched it again Sunday night for it's last showing that day.

Both times, there was a decent amount of families there. Parents in their 30s/40s bringing their kids, and it seemed like people were generally responding well to all the comedy. Wasn't really crowded at all, but stateside atleast, the re-release didn't get alot of promotion I think. In addition to that, for some reason, it's not even listed on the theater I attended website (atleast not the theater on the site that is local), nor is it even in the local paper under movie showtimes....

Aw, I'd love to see Ghostbusters 2 on the big screen. I know a lot of people dismiss that one, but I've always liked it. It's clearly not as good as the original, but I don't think it's a bad movie in its own right. The trial is one of the funniest scenes in either film. And I've always thought it was scarier than the first film. The concept of the ghost inhabiting the painting is straight out of an M. R. James story. And that scene with the nanny... :(

Yeah, GB2 is clearly inferior, but like some other inferior sequels, it has it's moments. I agree that it's a film that amped up the frights. Pretty much right from the start with Oscar's carriage purposely steering clear of Dana. Which came across as more frightening than the original's opening with the Librarian (creepier than frightening).  As a kid, I remember appreciating how "The REAL Ghostbusters" was influential to the extent that A. Slimer was brought back (doubtful Slimer would have even made an appearance if it hadn't been for the success of the toon), and B. Slimer being presented as a comedic ally to Louis. Always loved Slimer surprising Louis by driving a bus.

Sounds like more or less what I was expecting. I like Mickey Rourke, so I'll probably see it at some point. I'm surprised by how badly it's done at the box office though. I guess that's the price for leaving it so long after the original. I also wonder if Frank Miller's much maligned adaptation of The Spirit (2008) had anything to do with its box office failure. Did that put people off films made in that style?

Yeah, I don't think The Spirit's failure helped, but I do question how many people remember that film, or at the very least, have even seen it? If I had to theorize, I would say SIN CITY was a curiosity for alot of people due to the visual style and what not. 9 years later, that same visual style isn't nearly as cutting edge as it was back in 2005, and people were simply unwilling to fork over the cash to see a follow-up in a theater setting. Wouldn't be surprised if it finds it's audience on DVD/Blu Ray (similar to Dredd), but yeah, I think timing was off on DAME (as far as box office goes), and a sequel should have been brought forth while the iron was hot, so to speak....

Quote from: The Joker on Wed,  3 Sep  2014, 14:48I did. Twice.  ;)

Watched it Saturday night with friends and co-workers who like Ghostbusters, and then turned around and watched it again Sunday night for it's last showing that day.

Good man. :)

Quote from: The Joker on Wed,  3 Sep  2014, 14:48Both times, there was a decent amount of families there. Parents in their 30s/40s bringing their kids, and it seemed like people were generally responding well to all the comedy. Wasn't really crowded at all, but stateside atleast, the re-release didn't get alot of promotion I think. In addition to that, for some reason, it's not even listed on the theater I attended website (atleast not the theater on the site that is local), nor is it even in the local paper under movie showtimes....

Glad to hear there were some families there. It's great watching the DVD alone or with a small group of people, but there's something special about seeing it in a theatre and hearing the laughter of a crowd. I've been fortunate enough to see theatrical screenings of several of my favourite films over the past few years: Metropolis, Vertigo (possibly the greatest film ever made IMO), To Kill a Mockingbird, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future and Die Hard. I also saw the re-release of The Phantom Menace on the big screen, but that screening was rather empty and sad compared to jam-packed screening I attended back in 1999...

Quote from: The Joker on Wed,  3 Sep  2014, 14:48
Yeah, GB2 is clearly inferior, but like some other inferior sequels, it has it's moments. I agree that it's a film that amped up the frights. Pretty much right from the start with Oscar's carriage purposely steering clear of Dana. Which came across as more frightening than the original's opening with the Librarian (creepier than frightening).

Another scene to mention is the bit with the severed heads appearing in the abandoned railway tunnel. That really scared me as a kid. I always thought the image of the phantoms disembarking from the Titanic was quite creepy too. It's played for laughs, but is still very haunting.

Certain episodes of the cartoon show also frightened me when I was little ('The Man Who Never Reached Home' stands out in my memory). I've been hooked on ghost stories ever since.

Quote from: The Joker on Wed,  3 Sep  2014, 14:48As a kid, I remember appreciating how "The REAL Ghostbusters" was influential to the extent that A. Slimer was brought back (doubtful Slimer would have even made an appearance if it hadn't been for the success of the toon), and B. Slimer being presented as a comedic ally to Louis. Always loved Slimer surprising Louis by driving a bus.

I was introduced to Ghostbusters through The Real Ghostbusters TV show, so I always found it a bit weird that Slimer had such a small role in the first film. Like you, I was pleased to see him portrayed as more of a helper than an antagonist in the sequel. The scene with the bus makes it clear that he's not malevolent like most of the other ghosts, but is actually trying to help in his own way. I also like the fact they featured him on the end credits along with the main cast members. For those of us who watched the cartoon show, Slimer was always part of the team.

Quote from: The Joker on Wed,  3 Sep  2014, 14:48Yeah, I don't think The Spirit's failure helped, but I do question how many people remember that film, or at the very least, have even seen it? If I had to theorize, I would say SIN CITY was a curiosity for alot of people due to the visual style and what not. 9 years later, that same visual style isn't nearly as cutting edge as it was back in 2005, and people were simply unwilling to fork over the cash to see a follow-up in a theater setting. Wouldn't be surprised if it finds it's audience on DVD/Blu Ray (similar to Dredd), but yeah, I think timing was off on DAME (as far as box office goes), and a sequel should have been brought forth while the iron was hot, so to speak....

I doubt the R rating helped much either. It seems like almost every big R-rated movie recently has flopped.