Frank Miller doesn't like ANY of the Batman films

Started by The Laughing Fish, Wed, 20 Aug 2014, 02:20

Previous topic - Next topic
Frank Miller reminds me a bit like Alan Moore, who HATES every movie based on his comics. He's one of those rare purists who don't care for any Batman movie that has been released so far.

PLAYBOY: There's a consensus that Daredevil and Elektra, two movies adapted from comics you wrote, were lousy. Do you agree with that opinion?

MILLER: When people come out with movies about characters I've worked on, I always hate them. I have my own ideas about what the characters are like. I mean, I can't watch a Batman movie. I've seen pieces of them, but I generally think, No, that's not him. And I walk out of the theater before it's over.

PLAYBOY: Does that include the Christopher Nolan Batman movies?

MILLER: It includes all of them. I'm not condemning what he does. I don't even understand it, except that he seems to think he owns the title Dark Knight. [laughs] He's about 20 years too late for that. It's been used.

PLAYBOY: Nolan's last two Batman movies each grossed more than $1 billion worldwide. Does any of that money make its way to you?

MILLER: No. If money's owed me, I wouldn't put it on him or any other author. To be sitting here whining and mewling and puking about that sort of thing...let other people do that.

Source: http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/08/19/frank-miller-walked-out-on-christopher-nolans-batman-movies/

I couldn't help but laugh how Miller took a swipe at Nolan for trying to 'own' the 'Dark Knight' title, and didn't seem to bother trying to understand what was going on in any of Nolan's movies (to be honest though, I kinda envy him  ;)).
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I wonder what Bill Finger would think of the movies if he were alive.

As much as I enjoy Nolan bashing, what did Miller think of the final product of the spirit?

Frank Miller and his reactionary politics annoy me.  In some ways it would be a boost to the Burton films if Miller had said he preferred the Nolan ones (which also contain some suspect politics, if nothing as extreme as Miller's).  Then again, I have to at least give some credit to Miller for not jumping on the hipster 'Nolan's Batman is far superior' bandwagon.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Miller's contradicting himself here. When asked what he thought of Batman Begins back in 2005, he said:

Quote"I thought they did a really, really good job. I mean, I walked out of that movie with a smile on my face; I thought it was a really strong interpretation of the character, and they knew what to borrow from and how much. I got a major kick out of the fact that they used that bit where he calls on the bats to attack the cops and that sort of thing, and I loved Gary Oldman's interpretation of exactly the Jim Gordon that I'd written in Batman: Year One. But it was [Christopher] Nolan's movie and [Christian] Bale's movie, and I just simply absorbed it and enjoyed the hell out of it."
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2005/08/20/frank-miller-interview?page=2

Thu, 21 Aug 2014, 04:14 #5 Last Edit: Fri, 22 Aug 2014, 08:14 by BatmAngelus
Neal Adams seems to have gone through a similar retcon in opinions.

He wrote a positive review on Dark Knight Rises around the time the movie came out:
"The Dark Knight Rises," it turns out, is a classic Batman epic. How can I relate it to you? A Greek tragedy? "The Iliad"? "Macbeth"? It's a giant movie. "Avengers" was a great comic-book movie. "The Dark Knight Rises" is a great epic.

QuoteDid the story and writing team (Christopher and Jonathan Nolan and David S. Goyer) spend a year writing this? This is the movie that all serious comic-book-related filmmakers will strive to beat in the next decade. Perhaps they will beat it. I don't know how. It's trite to say, "It was a long movie, but it was worth it." Pretend I just said it. I would have gladly watched two hours more. I can't even imagine what was left on the cutting room floor.
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/dark-knight-rises-a-guest-review-by-neal-adams/

But on Kevin Smith's podcast, he said that he found it weaker than the previous two:
QuoteThe last one, too dark, too much. It's almost like overboard. If we had just let those first two stand on their own. I'm not saying the last one was not good, but they did the same thing they did in the Superman movie. He went away for five years
http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/07/06/neal-adams-suggests-matt-smith-as-the-joker-and-a-young-ted-dans/
(There's more when you listen to the podcast)
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

This reminds me a bit of Denny O'Neil's volte-face concerning Burton's films. He praised them upon their initial release, but has become more critical of them in recent years. Kevin Smith's the same.

It's interesting to note that in recent years Miller and Adams have both written unpopular Batman series that were widely rejected by fans (All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder for Miller, and Batman: Odyssey for Adams). In any case, I suspect Miller's telling fibs when he says he's never watched a Batman film right the way through. He clearly did watch Batman Begins.

Apparently Miller's 'Sin City 2' is flopping big time at the box-office and with critics.  Ahhh, couldn't have happened to a nicer fellow.  ;D ;D ;D
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.