if this were a prequel to Tim Burton's Batman...

Started by mrrockey, Wed, 20 Aug 2014, 00:50

Previous topic - Next topic
I am having this debate in another thread  :D but I think you could make it link up to be a prequel to Burton's Batman.  Without having to change much.

In fact with the Joker card at the end of Batman Begins, it would almost be prophetic when you watch Batman '89 and see Jack Napier with his Joker card.

I never got that moment in The Dark Knight...

Bruce's flashback in '89 can be the result of false memories of a child. Despite being debunked, you'd have to use the theory that Jack Napier didn't kill Bruce's parents; Batman puts this on the various villains that he fights.

Interesting topic. I think it may have been discussed before. If not, I'll be sure to look into it some more.

Fri, 27 May 2016, 08:59 #12 Last Edit: Fri, 27 May 2016, 09:09 by OutRiddled
Batman Begins did not satisfactorily deal with the Wayne's murder anyway.  You have the murderer, Joe Chill, killed early on the movie before Bruce even becomes Batman.  It is then never dealt with again.  We are then lead to believe that the murder was the result of economic conditions in Gotham caused by The League of Shadows.

I do not like this plot at all.  I prefer that the murderer be a shadowy figure.  This is what spurs Batman's war on crime.  It is not really important who did it.

In Batman '89, Joker is a representation of the devil.  It all fits in a thematic way.  In Batman Begins, it feels very convoluted.

IMO

Besides, you see 'Joe Chill' in Batman 1989 anyway.

Quote from: OutRiddled on Fri, 27 May  2016, 08:59Besides, you see 'Joe Chill' in Batman 1989 anyway.

I always got the impression that that was a young Bob. Have a very great day you and everyone!

God bless you! God bless everyone!

He doesn't really look like Bob.  Plus, he seems to be a lot less in thrall of Jack's sadistic methods.  Check out the terrified look on his face when Jack kills the Waynes and then points the gun at Bruce.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Yeah, I used to believe it was Bob simply because the character was never touched upon again, but it was confirmed by Michael Uslan to be Joe Chill. I guess true to the comics, he was just another faceless mugger in a city full of criminals.

Quote from: Slash Man on Sat, 28 May  2016, 22:06
Yeah, I used to believe it was Bob simply because the character was never touched upon again, but it was confirmed by Michael Uslan to be Joe Chill.

Wow, I didn't know that. Where did Uslan say that? Sam Hamm and Warren Skaaren's fifth draft of the movie script called Jack Napier's accomplice "Other Hood".

BRUCE'S POV

We see TWO YOUNG HOODLUMS pointing a gun AT us.  The
HOODLUM with the gun grabs the string of pearls on
Martha's neck.  Thomas tries to grab the young HOOD's
arm.  We hear the SOUND OF A SHOT.  Thomas falls.  Martha
SCREAMS.  The HOOD FIRES -- Martha falls.  The second
HOODLUM runs away.

The HOODLUM points the gun AT the CAMERA.  The HOODLUM'S
FACE IS IN THE DARK.

CUT TO:

YOUNG BRUCE

staring back.

JACK (V.O.)
      (distorted by time)
   Tell me, Kid...

The Hood steps into the moonlight.  It is clearly a young
Jack Napier.

YOUNG JACK NAPIER
   You ever danced with the devil
   by the pale moonlight?

ON TRIGGER FINGER

-- It squeezes.  Suddenly a VOICE calls out.

OTHER HOOD (V.O.)
   C'mon... let's go.

https://sfy.ru/?script=batman_production
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: Slash Man on Sat, 28 May  2016, 22:06
Yeah, I used to believe it was Bob simply because the character was never touched upon again, but it was confirmed by Michael Uslan to be Joe Chill. I guess true to the comics, he was just another faceless mugger in a city full of criminals.

Uslan more or less repeated what he wrote in the intro to Batman in the Fifties during a reddit interview last year. But when he mentioned the bit about the second mugger being Chill, he added "at least in my own mind"; suggesting this was his interpretation rather than canon:

QuoteI remember when Tim Burton had Jack Napier as the guy who would kill Bruce's parents. I was very concerned about this change and campaigned long and hard to make sure there was someone with him who, at least in my own mind, was Joe Chill.
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/37mhjn/im_michael_uslan_executive_producer_of_the_dark/

Certainly nowhere in the script, the credits or the official novelisation is the second mugger identified as Chill. And the majority of fans online seem to regard him as Bob. Uslan's comments may be an attempt to retroactively address a common criticism, or perhaps the second mugger really was intended to be Chill. Either way, I'd be interested to hear what Sam Hamm has to say on the subject.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat, 28 May  2016, 04:27He doesn't really look like Bob.  Plus, he seems to be a lot less in thrall of Jack's sadistic methods. Check out the terrified look on his face when Jack kills the Waynes and then points the gun at Bruce.
I personally don't think either actors looks a ton like their older counterparts. I've also always thought he sounded like Bob and him being freaked out by Jack's sadistic evilness at first I felt gave his character depth. Have a very great day you and everyone!

God bless you! God bless everyone!

The character is a blank canvas, and people can paint whoever they want him to be.