Tearing up when seeing the 1989 Trailer

Started by LongLiveTheBatman, Fri, 8 Aug 2014, 01:41

Previous topic - Next topic
I dont know why.

But I decided to watch the trailer Batman 1989 today. I was thinking about the greatness they were going for. The CARE and TIME they put into it, to make it good. Not just like every other action movie or comic hero movie at the time. It paved the way for so many superhero movies of today.

But one part got me..

Its the part towards the end. Where Keaton turns to the camera. And at that moment, as the camera dollies in, I teared up and yelled "Oh my god!" I was wondering why it amazed me. In that shot... Keaton and Burton shut up so many of the naysayers. The odds were against them and they turned the tide in that one shot. People who said "Beetlejuice as Batman? This is gunna suck" went to their video store just to buy a copy of the Batman Trailer.

He looks like a beast, like a gargoyle or demon, he looked threatening and intimidating. I dont get that feeling from any other bat costume in any other movie (even Batman Returns.) That cold stare. I guess I teared up because they did it. They beat the odds and proved that it could be done.

I don't find the trailer that epic, the music in it was kind of choppy (the batman returns trailer was excellent) but it should be noted the trailer was rushed to convince people that Keaton could work and it wouldn't be goofy.

Keaton made "The Bat Turn" work. That entire moment is built around it... if he were able to turn his head, the shot would have been composed completely differently. He knew he needed to infuse it with ferocity and precision so that it didn't draw attention to the fact that he was turning his whole body, and he nailed it. It's the turn of someone who's ready to beat ass.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Classic trailer and one of epic proportions. Such a beloved trailers that there are so many fan-edits on youtube, it's hard to keep track of.

I have the trailer saved on my computer so I could watch anytime I please.