Batpod question?

Started by Travesty, Fri, 18 Jul 2014, 15:26

Previous topic - Next topic
So I'm over at SHH, and I'm in one of the most ridiculous arguments I may have ever had for this movie. I'm being told that Bruce had the foresight to make the Batpod for The Tumbler AFTER he acquired it from Lucius. They're trying to tell me that it was never apart of the original design of The Tumbler. This all started, because someone brought it up, and I noted that it wasn't Bruce who made it, it was Lucius original team who made the prototype Tumbler. Their only proof, seems to be that Alfred calls it "the Batpod", so of course Bruce came up with the idea and then built it in.

What do you guys think, and does this make any sense? Why would that feature not be originally integrated within the design of The Tumbler?

The way I see it, the batpod was always integrated into the vehicle.

The nickname 'batpod' was Bruce and Alfred's own term for the thing.

Nolan lovers just need to accept their version of Bruce/Batman did not make his own equipment, save for a few shurikens in Batman Begins before heading to the docks. It was all laid out for Bale Bruce on a platter.

People seem to ignore the fact Batman lowers down and uses cannons during the BB chase. It doesn't suit their argument, of 'the batpod came later', so they ignore it. They live in a fantasy land of delusion. They want Bruce to have foresight and input into his arsenal - but folks, he just doesn't have it.

Yeah even though Bruce can't make his own suit faster and be able to turn his head without Lucious redesigning it for him, he totally had the skills to convert the tumbler into a bat pod  >:(

Indeed. Just as Bruce visited Wayne Enterprises for the first time in ages and Lucius said "here's a new flying vehicle".

Nolan added in a tokenistic "you can help fix the autopilot" piece of dialogue. Like yeah, big deal. Bottom line with Nolan it's more James Bond than Batman. There's nothing too wrong with seeking help every now and then if you hit a brick wall. But Batman has to be more independent than that. Sourcing everything from others is too much for me.

In comparison, it's highly likely Keaton's Bruce made all his own vehicles and gadgetry, and sourced the materials. He's seen tinkering in the batcave, successfully having re-attached the sides of the Batmobile following his narrow alley escape. Bale's Bruce just blows The Tumbler up and rides off in a escape pod somebody else put in there for him.

I prefer my Batman to be an intelligent control freak, not a lazy guy who makes requests. Baleman put way too much trust into Lucius Fox. Keats was a private individual, and truly fitting of a 'Dark Knight' moniker.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 19 Jul  2014, 05:59
Indeed. Just as Bruce visited Wayne Enterprises for the first time in ages and Lucius said "here's a new flying vehicle".

Nolan added in a tokenistic "you can help fix the autopilot" piece of dialogue. Like yeah, big deal. Bottom line with Nolan it's more James Bond than Batman. There's nothing too wrong with seeking help every now and then if you hit a brick wall. But Batman has to be more independent than that. Sourcing everything from others is too much for me.

In comparison, it's highly likely Keaton's Bruce made all his own vehicles and gadgetry, and sourced the materials. He's seen tinkering in the batcave, successfully having re-attached the sides of the Batmobile following his narrow alley escape. Bale's Bruce just blows The Tumbler up and rides off in a escape pod somebody else put in there for him.

I prefer my Batman to be an intelligent control freak, not a lazy guy who makes requests. Baleman put way too much trust into Lucius Fox. Keats was a private individual, and truly fitting of a 'Dark Knight' moniker.

Batman is touted as the world's greatest detective. Well intuition alone wouldn't cut it for such a a title. They'd have to have an aptitude for things like science or mechanics. I guess that's why I don't like Bale as Batman. He seems convincing enough to have the fighting ability but doesn't seem to possess the detective or technical skills that batman should have. I also don't buy that Batman could have expanded the sonar concept on his own given all the technical things he can't do without Fox.

Batman Forever does hint at Alfreds involvement (saying he is a good mechanic) and even eventually Dick Grayson getting into the act.

Sun, 9 Nov 2014, 20:58 #5 Last Edit: Sun, 9 Nov 2014, 21:00 by Slash Man

I'll believe the part about Bale training himself to physical perfection, but he's never struck me as too keen on science or technology, and both parts are crucial to the character. While it is true that Batman's resourcefulness comes from having the right people to turn to, you'd expect some set of skills on his part. Admittedly, Burton didn't want Keaton to be buffed out for the role, but his menace in the suit and his fighting skills tell the part.

For the Dark Knight films, it would have been awesome if Bruce started out with his own homemade Batsuit with cloth components, and then upgraded to the full armor that Fox created. For the Dark Knight, it'd have been cooler if Bruce was the one who made the modifications to it (maybe working with Fox, something we've never seen). Though that's my own wishful thinking.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 19 Jul  2014, 00:34
Nolan lovers just need to accept their version of Bruce/Batman did not make his own equipment, save for a few shurikens in Batman Begins before heading to the docks. It was all laid out for Bale Bruce on a platter.

The most surprising thing is that it took The Dark Knight Rises for more people to openly admit that Batman was rather dependent on Lucius Fox for science and technology, and did little to no detective work. I never understood why - I always thought it was obvious from the first film.

Quote from: Slash Man on Sun,  9 Nov  2014, 20:58
While it is true that Batman's resourcefulness comes from having the right people to turn to, you'd expect some set of skills on his part. Admittedly, Burton didn't want Keaton to be buffed out for the role, but his menace in the suit and his fighting skills tell the part.

It may be an unorthodox approach to adapt Batman in live action, but Burton was trying to get an physically ordinary actor to "transform" as soon as he wears the Batsuit. His reasoning was that it didn't make sense that an big 80s action star i.e. Stallone would need a to wear a Batsuit. A physically less imposing actor like Keaton made a lot sense to Burton because it would turn the actor into something otherworldly.

And given that Keaton was menacing as Batman, I'd say that approach paid off nicely.  8)

Quote from: Slash Man on Sun,  9 Nov  2014, 20:58
For the Dark Knight films, it would have been awesome if Bruce started out with his own homemade Batsuit with cloth components, and then upgraded to the full armor that Fox created. For the Dark Knight, it'd have been cooler if Bruce was the one who made the modifications to it (maybe working with Fox, something we've never seen). Though that's my own wishful thinking.

Something like that did happen in the Batman: Earth One comic. In the beginning of the book, Batman uses homemade gadgets to hunt down a crook, but they backfire badly. He later turns to Fox to ask him to fix the gadgets and make new weapons for him. But the difference between Earth One and Bale's version is that the comic retains Batman's forensic and detective ability without Fox's help, and it's implied that Bruce creates his own Batsuit twice.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Batman does seem to have some skills of his own in the Nolan films but the only time he shows it was when he expanded on Fox's sonar concept in the 2nd film (which is a pretty big leap considering that seems to be the only time in the trilogy he does anything for himself).

I find Bales bat more comparable to the Green Hornet; somewhat of a rich buffoon who feeds off the work of others.

Oh gee, another hole in Bale-man's cape? Color me shocked, Robin.

Even if it wasn't part of the original design you can bet your happy ass Lucius added it. So Morgan Freeman was the real hero all along. Go figure. lol.

Quote from: Catwoman on Wed, 12 Nov  2014, 04:16
So Morgan Freeman was the real hero all along. Go figure. lol.
Now you've got me thinking if Morgan Freeman just became Batman instead... Well, the first improvement is the voice. By a large margin.