holy special edition Batman! DVD review

Started by riddler, Fri, 18 Jul 2014, 02:49

Previous topic - Next topic
I just picked up the DVD for the feature film. I'm not good at reviews but I'll post some random points. I am meeting Adam West and Burt Ward next month to get it autographed.

-Burt Ward still sounds the same all these years later. They provide commentary for the DVD menus and you can't tell so many years have passed
-Adam West stated the bomb scene was his favourite. I wonder if that is where Nolan got the idea for the ending of the Dark Knight Rises?
-this was the first time they showed Batman and Robin going up the poll changing back into Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson
-the fight scenes weren't censored with the iconic balloons. In the fight scene on the boat, the hitting sounds appeared on screen but didn't take up the screen.
-it was interesting to see Batman foiled by a villains alter ego (Catwoman changing back and forth from her alter ego with Bruce Wayne none the wiser).

This movie is such an interesting one, and I'm going to attack it in two ways. Luck and failure.

Luck:

A porpoise sacrificing itself to a torpedo to save Batman and Robin's life.
The batcopter crash landing on a foam rubber wholesaler.
The Penguin rehydrating the goons with heavy water, thus them being easily defeated.
Bruce not tripping the jack in the box into the ocean, but another goon.
The batcycle being at the exact spot required.

Failure:

Being fooled by a hologram, and Batman nearly being blown up by the shark.
Being fooled by Catwoman's Kitka persona.
Being led to the buoy and magnetised to it, lucky to escape certain death.
Failing to stop the world leaders from being hydrated, and failing to put them together properly.

Among others I have probably missed. It's a fun movie and a great representation of the TV series.

You know that thing about the Batcycle being parked so coincedently at the spot where the Batmobile gets stolen is....yeah okay, it's amusingly appropriate and Burt Ward references it as such in his commentary track.

But you know Batman and Robin were planning on The Penguin stealing their car. It was their scheme to trace him to the gang's hideaway. So why not let the Batmobile be stolen right next to their next available transportation to quickly counterattack? I don't really see it as a naff mistake.

Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Fri, 18 Jul  2014, 13:48
You know that thing about the Batcycle being parked so coincedently at the spot where the Batmobile gets stolen is....yeah okay, it's amusingly appropriate and Burt Ward references it as such in his commentary track.

But you know Batman and Robin were planning on The Penguin stealing their car. It was their scheme to trace him to the gang's hideaway. So why not let the Batmobile be stolen right next to their next available transportation to quickly counterattack? I don't really see it as a naff mistake.

See I thought Batman planned it that way all along; thats why he gives Robin an antidote pill for the Penguin gas.

Another example of dumb luck was the bat copter spinning out of control and landing perfectly on foam.

I do wonder if the mirror and hologram idea (an illusion making it look like something was there which wasn't) is where Donner/Lester got the idea in superman II. The Reeve films do seem like a hybrid of West Batman and Keaton.