The DC Band-Aid Project

Started by The Joker, Wed, 18 Jun 2014, 23:34

Previous topic - Next topic
Here's an interesting article on IGN weighing the pros and cons of the impending reboot/reshuffle/whatever-the-hell-it-is:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/09/26/between-the-panels-should-dc-end-the-new-52?page=2

They raise a lot of the same points you and I discussed, Joker. I'm not sure I agree with their conclusions, but I sympathise with their frustration regarding the excessive number of Batman titles. That particular problem also applies to the DC animated films.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 27 Sep  2014, 18:57
Here's an interesting article on IGN weighing the pros and cons of the impending reboot/reshuffle/whatever-the-hell-it-is:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/09/26/between-the-panels-should-dc-end-the-new-52?page=2

They raise a lot of the same points you and I discussed, Joker. I'm not sure I agree with their conclusions, but I sympathise with their frustration regarding the excessive number of Batman titles. That particular problem also applies to the DC animated films.

Thank you for posting that article, SN.

It is problematic. DC has pretty much boxed themselves into a corner to where it's absolutely necessary for them to please both the New52 readership who jumped on board for the reboot, and fans who remain clamoring for the classic interpretations or anything Pre-New52.

While I have taken a closer look at the sales of DC Comics, it's true that the New52 launch did increase DC's sales. However, it appears that the units sold, have dropped about 1 million a year since the launch. How does this bold well for the higher ups at DC Comics? Probably not very well. They haven't exactly hit 2010 lows, but at the same time, sales ARE decreasing. I believe it's apparent that DC is grasping to keep numbers up, which would explain the sheer overabundance of Bat-Titles being thrown out there (too much of a good thing ceases to be), along with continuing gimmicks like 3D covers and such.

As a longtime reader, and as much as I would like to see DC return to it's classic roots/universe, I've become increasingly jaded to the idea actually coming to fruition. Mainly due to the higher ups in charge (Didio/Harris). The quick bump in sales certainly did not justify discarding 70 years of history, nor do I think it was creatively satisfying for the writers/artists during the time of the reboot as well.  Holy mackerel, was there alot of shifting around/leaving over creative differences. Which made it even more painfully obvious that the hurried conception of the New52 reboot definitely left alot to be desired.

Can the 'Band-Aid' stop the bleeding? Possibly. Depending on where they go with it of course. Giving credit where credit is due, there has indeed been some good stories that have transpired under the New52 umbrella. Snyder's Batman, Wonder Woman, and Flash probably being the overall, best examples, while also breathing refreshing new life into character's like Animal Man/Swamp Thing as well. As a whole, I find the reception to the New52 reboot much more problematic than what we saw in 1986 with the Post-Crisis DCU coming to the forefront. I certainly would be game for a New52 imprint along with a Pre-52 imprint (similar to 616 and Ultimate over at Marvel), but that's likely wishful thinking. *sigh*

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

A little bit more light has been shed on the "Band Aid Event", now titled, "Convergence".

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10/28/dcs-band-aid-event-its-not-blood-moon-its-called-convergence/

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Of particular interest coming out of Convergence, especially for the Batman base, is the return appearance of AzBats.

And the classic Harley Quinn returning as well.  :D