Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Started by Edd Grayson, Wed, 21 May 2014, 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: OutRiddled on Sun, 29 May  2016, 23:43
I liked Eisenberg's Luthor so I'm glad he's coming back.  Would be a bad move to recast it.
Well, the majority hated his performance, and I see that even many of his critics are changing their tune, out of cognitive dissonant loyalty to the DCEU.

I was really willing to give future instalments in the DCEU a chance, but if Eisenberg is going to appear in Suicide Squad (which I hitherto was looking forward to) and Justice League, I will not be paying to see any of these films, and going by the universal revulsion for BvS an Eisenberg's performance in particular, across the web, which was clearly reflected in the film's massively disappointing box-office, I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels the same way.

WB keep saying they are making changes to rectify the failures of the previous DCEU films, and yet the changes they're making such as bringing in Geoff Johns and pledging to make Justice League 'lighter' (which makes no sense because stakes should increase as a franchise progresses not decreasing) demonstrates that they still aren't listening or have a clue.

Like I keep saying again and again and again, I want to give the DCEU a chance, I really do.  But as long as Eisenberg's wretched version of Lex Luthor remains, I will not give WB a single cent of my money.  >:(

But since you like Eisenberg's Lex, please answer me this question (one I keep asking again and again and again, until I'm blue in the frigging face): why is this a good version of Lex Luthor?  And for a person who desires complexity, pathos and shades of grey in fictional villains, what is there to recommend this performance/characterisation?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I don't know, johnnygobbs, about exactly "why".  I liked that it was different.  It's all subjective, though.  To even say that the "majority hated it"... on the surface, maybe.

I felt that Eisenberg didn't start out as the traditional Luthor but he transitioned into the Lex we all know and loathe.
I don't think this film can be compared to the avengers or any other superhero film out there. It's about the forming of the justice league but we've yet to see the JLA in battle.

I'd compare wonder woman to spidey in Civil War; neither character was overly critical to the plot but the sense is that it was to launch future films for each character.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3941988?utm_source=fb-channel-superheroes&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=jeremy-irons-batman-v-superman-muddled-and-overstuffed-vows-jla-will-be-better

I respect his opinion (and just about everything else about him, as I've said many times before) but I don't understand everyone saying it was overstuffed or too much was going on as reasons it wasn't good. If *I* can keep it straight, anyone should be able to. Would it have been better if it was spread out to another movie and and more focused? Sure. But I didn't have any problems keeping up and I have the attention span of a five-year-old in a room full of shiny stuff. It was meant to be an epic. Epics have a lot going on.

As for EisenLex, redub him with Clancy Brown and I'm satisfied. The portrayal based off what they're doing is fine, and like others said he'll evolve (hopefully). That voice though, that just does not strike any terror into me yet.

Quote from: Catwoman on Tue, 31 May  2016, 07:01
I respect his opinion (and just about everything else about him, as I've said many times before) but I don't understand everyone saying it was overstuffed or too much was going on as reasons it wasn't good. If *I* can keep it straight, anyone should be able to. Would it have been better if it was spread out to another movie and and more focused? Sure. But I didn't have any problems keeping up and I have the attention span of a five-year-old in a room full of shiny stuff. It was meant to be an epic. Epics have a lot going on.

As disappointing it is to read Jeremy Irons' comments, let's keep in mind that it's not uncommon for actors to have distaste for the films they star in. We all know about Alec Guinness and Harrison Ford hating Star Wars, but does that make the fans appreciate the films less? I'd say no, for the majority at least.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

HaHaHa!!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: riddler on Mon, 30 May  2016, 17:05
I don't think this film can be compared to the avengers or any other superhero film out there. It's about the forming of the justice league but we've yet to see the JLA in battle.
Exactly. Batman was introduced into the mix. Superman was already established. Wonder Woman had a cameo, and Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman had very brief cameos. I honestly don't get the overstuffed comments. As you rightly say, BvS is not comparable to the Avengers in terms of narrative. That will be Justice League. DC have staggered their universe. Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman are yet to be released, and then we have Justice League Part One. To me, BvS just isn't overstuffed as the detractors keep on saying. The core is the struggle between two characters - Batman and Superman.

I don't get all the negative comments, either.  The only problem with the movie is that 30 minutes are missing, but that may not detract from it all.  The movie is fine as it is.

From what I gather, a lot of those 30 minutes will focus on Clark and Lois. Which should strengthen them further. To say I'm eager to see the Ultimate Cut is an understatement.