Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Started by Edd Grayson, Wed, 21 May 2014, 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 21 May  2016, 03:06
Here is a YouTube video from a disgruntled fan talking about the over-exaggeration of the film critics hating on the film.

It doesn't really say anything different to what most people on this forum here who have discussed its merits and defended it from the exaggerated backlash, but it's still nice to see someone calling out some of the ridiculous statements against this movie. For example, comparing the special effects in a Lego Batman movie favourably than this one, and even calling it more realistic. Or a film critic whose opening headline for her negative review of BvS is only "Really?". And some people wonder why I have no time for critics.

For anyone who still needs to use critical consensus to defend or even criticise a film: if you can't watch something for yourself without somebody else's influence, don't be upset if nobody takes you seriously. The guy who made the video admitted that he found things about BvS that bothered him a lot, despite he loved it as a whole. That's the point of being objective, isn't it?
Worst of all are the so called fans who don't even see films based on their favourite characters because of critic feedback. What a bunch of gutless wonders. I have zero respect for those people, especially when they make statements as to how disappointing said product was....and they've seen nothing but trailers. Infuriating to say the least. They are best ignored.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 21 May  2016, 10:18
Worst of all are the so called fans who don't even see films based on their favourite characters because of critic feedback. What a bunch of gutless wonders. I have zero respect for those people, especially when they make statements as to how disappointing said product was....and they've seen nothing but trailers. Infuriating to say the least. They are best ignored.

I believe wankers is a more appropriate word.  ;)
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I guess I can kind of relate; I usually try and see every superhero film outside of the x-men (no offense to fans, I just haven't ever had interest in the xmen). Because of how bad the reception was I still haven't seen last years Fantastic Four film despite it now being on Netflix. That being said the ratings have been horrendous for that film, had they been mixed the way they are for Batman vs Superman, there's no doubt I'd have seen it by now, I did see the first two fantastic fours on TV as well as both Ghostrider films in theatres (although I actually regret seeing spirit of vengeance). Though being such a big fan of Batman, I can't imagine ever skipping out on a Batman film, even Batman and Robin I've probably seen 6 or 7 times. 

Quote from: riddler on Tue, 24 May  2016, 14:10
I can't imagine ever skipping out on a Batman film, even Batman and Robin I've probably seen 6 or 7 times.
At the time, I really liked B&R, even though I thought it wasn't as good as BF. These days, B89, BR and BvS are my trinity, but I still have time for BF and B&R. In their own weird way, they both feel timeless. And they sure are re-watchable.

I like the movie but it does have problems.

First of all the movie is trying to do too much. It took Marvel five movies to build up to the Avengers. DC is trying to do what Marvel did in less movies.

My biggest problem with the movie is Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. He was seriously miscasted. He reminded me more of Jim Carrey's Riddler then Lex.

I also really wised that they had left out the whole metahuman subplot.

Ben Affleck is the best thing about the movie. I'm looking forward to seeing more of his Batman in future movies.

All in all it's an ok movie, but it has some serious problems that prevent it from being a great superhero movie.

Quote from: Vampfox on Sat, 28 May  2016, 04:16
First of all the movie is trying to do too much. It took Marvel five movies to build up to the Avengers. DC is trying to do what Marvel did in less movies.

I also really wised that they had left out the whole metahuman subplot.

One of my biggest concerns going into this movie were the rumoured appearances of the other JL members because I feared they'd make the film overcrowded. But I didn't mind how they appeared in cameos at all. They didn't take up the whole story like most people were saying.

Does this mean I prefer to take this approach? Admittedly, no. If this were a perfect world, WB/DC would've started their movie universe six years ago, and wouldn't have to play catch up with Marvel.

But putting that aside, the movie had to establish the discovery of more metahumans elsewhere for the next movie coming up. In terms of the narrative, it allows Batman and Wonder Woman to share a goal in honouring Superman's memory, by finding these mysterious and powerful people in the hopes of starting a team to protect the globe. In that sense, I thought it was quite effective.

I'd like to make a point by going off the topic a bit by saying for all the complaints about Wonder Woman didn't need to be in this movie, I thought the same can be said about Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War.

My biggest problem with the movie is Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. He was seriously miscasted. He reminded me more of Jim Carrey's Riddler then Lex.

He's not my ideal Lex either, but I thought he was alright for what they were going for. I don't think he's any more goofy than Tom Hardy's Bane.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Justice League is the epic superhero team-up movie.  But Justice League hasn't been released yet.  So we have Man of Steel, BvS, Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman.  That's four movies.  How many movies do you need?

Quoteit has some serious problems that prevent it from being a great superhero movie.

I disagree.  It is a great superhero movie.  Probably one of the best.  And that's without seeing the extended cut.

Don't understand these "serious problems" that people are talking about.  Seems like people just read what others have said and keep repeating it.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 28 May  2016, 10:50
He's not my ideal Lex either, but I thought he was alright for what they were going for. I don't think he's any more goofy than Tom Hardy's Bane.
Unfortunately, it seems he is coming back for Justice League, and worse, Suicide Squad (there goes my hope for/interest in that movie  :( ):

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/justice_league/justice-league-news-a142116

QuoteAsked about returning in Justice League earlier this year, Jesse Eisenberg admitted to being uncertain about whether or not he would be asked to return as Lex Luthor. However, during an appearance at the MCM London Comic Con today, the actor confirmed to those in attendance that he will reprise his Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice role. However, just how significant a part will be play?

"I'm kind of in wait," he revealed. "They just started filming Justice League, so I'm kind of like waiting for my crack at it. I don't know what I'm allowed to say, because I feel like there's probably some drone following me from DC, and if I say anything wrong I get, you know, picked off. But yeah I think so, and I love it, and I love everybody who's in it. You know, it's a really talented group of people."

It's hard to say just how much screentime Lex is going to have based on these comments, but it wouldn't be too surprising if it's little more than an cameo, especially if shooting is already underway and he hasn't been asked to start his work on the movie just yet. Regardless, it makes sense that the villain is going to appear, especially if rumours about Steppenwolf being the big bad are accurate.

Eisenberg is also rumoured to appear in Suicide Squad later this year, so it's clear that Luthor's role in the DC Films Universe moving forward will be a big one. Are you excited to see him return?
Can Eisenberg and WB really be that clueless about how much Eisenberg's Lex is reviled (even by the, few, fans of this movie, if the comments on this site are anything to go by)?  So much for WB's attempts to rehabilitate the franchise and respond to criticisms.

The reboot/next year's Razzie Awards (where Eisenberg is sure to be nominated for 'Worst Supporting Actor', assuming the nominating board has not taken a collective leave of its senses), which ever comes first, couldn't come fast enough.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I liked Eisenberg's Luthor so I'm glad he's coming back.  Would be a bad move to recast it. 

Quote from: OutRiddled on Sun, 29 May  2016, 23:43
I liked Eisenberg's Luthor so I'm glad he's coming back.  Would be a bad move to recast it.
Agreed. And I'm sure the character is evolving as the films go on. Just like Batman.