Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Started by Edd Grayson, Wed, 21 May 2014, 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic
All I know is it got over $80 from me and my friends that went the first Friday and we all loved it. It may have gotten more from them, idk, I haven't been out of the house or talked to anyone much at all for about a month now so I'd have to ask but it was unanimous on the ride home that we thought it was great. So as far as I go, it succeeded. It entertained me and my friends I went with (all but one who are big Bat fans too and the other guy may have been converted). If other fans didn't like it or liked some of it but didn't like other parts or whatever, ok. Their opinion, their right, everyone likes different things. Critics, no thanks. I couldn't care less what a paid "expert" thinks unless that paid "expert" is a fan of the characters or the genre. Then I'll take their opinion seriously. Otherwise, what they think doesn't apply to me.

I wonder if this movie had been released before the rise of the internet and social media and everything and everyone fancying themselves as a bonafide Roger Ebert because they have an outlet to put their opinion even if nobody gives a sh*t so they take it upon themselves to nitpick every little thing like "Oh I wouldn't have done that" or "Oh they should have gone this direction with this character" or "Oh but in this comic from 60 f***ing years ago so and so would have done THIS, not that" instead of sitting there and taking in the movie for what it is, how it would have done. I think it would be doing a lot better than it is.

I don't really care either way, honestly. It did it's job as far as I'm concerned, it entertained me. If it didn't entertain others, ok. I'm not going to apologize for liking it or accept any implication that I'm wrong (not that I'm saying those who saw it and didn't are wrong) and I'll be buying the DVD when it comes out. I'm just one fan, just one little insignificant speck of dust on a rock, but that's how I feel so yeah. Whatever.

Without being as abrasive as some of the other people are, I can understand their frustration as it's hard for them to properly formulate their arguments without breaking the spoiler rules as you haven't seen the film. It's completely up to you whether you choose to see it in theatres, home video, online, television, or ever but you can't possibly know whether a film is good or not without seeing it yourself.  It's one thing if the critics are in concert one way or another but it's been mixed-to-negative meaning there are some who enjoyed it. It seems to be settling at 7.2 on the IMDB which is slightly better than Batman Returns.

On the subject of Deadpool, that's a rather unfair comparison; Batman and superman have combined for 14 feature films, this was the first one with deadpool and more importantly one of the first R rated films. Perhaps a PG rated Deadpool grosses less than BvS or an R rated BvS outgrosses deadpool. I have a feeling we'll see strong DVD/blu ray sales.

I have no problems at all with this movie and can't wait to see the director's cut.  A great movie.  Don't get all the online hate.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

American Psycho author Bret Easton Ellis, who memorably incurred fanboy wrath when he dissed The Dark Knight Rises back in 2012, has named BvS one of the best movies of 2016:

QuoteBest 2016 films so far: TALE OF TALES Garrone; GREEN ROOM Saulnier; THE INVITATION Kusama; BATMAN V SUPERMAN Snyder.
https://twitter.com/BretEastonEllis/status/727399215098269697?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

I saw Green Room at a preview screening on Sunday, and to be honest, it was watchable enough but rather disappointing, so I don't put much stock in BEE's opinion, not least because he is the guy who described "Glee" as a 'puddle of AIDS' (I'm not a fan of AIDS, but this comment was still homophobic provocation, irrespective of BEE's bisexuality).

High-Rise, Eye in the Sky and Hail Caesar, the other 2016 releases I have so far seen, are all brilliant and much superior to Green Room.  But I'm looking forward to seeing Captain America: Civil War this weekend, my first blockbuster of the year, although it's a shame that its RT score has now dropped to 92% thanks to a handful of negative reviews.  :(  I was hoping it would be the highest-rated MCU film yet (but it's now dropped below the first Iron Man).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed,  4 May  2016, 17:48
I was hoping it would be the highest-rated MCU film yet (but it's now dropped below the first Iron Man).

Chacun à son goût. For what it's worth I think Civil War is better than Iron Man, I think it is the best MCU film so far, and I think you're going to have a fantastic time when you see it at the weekend. ;)

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed,  4 May  2016, 16:44
American Psycho author Bret Easton Ellis, who memorably incurred fanboy wrath when he dissed The Dark Knight Rises back in 2012, has named BvS one of the best movies of 2016:

That's cool I guess. Off-topic, but I remember reading something about BEE having an idea about a actual follow-up to American Psycho awhile back. He's had Bateman make appearances in several subsequent books following AP, but never a sequel. Would be interesting to see how age would have affected Patrick Bateman, and if Christian Bale would be interested in reprising the role of Bateman one last time.

Haven't heard jack squat about the once-proposed FX series in a long time. Might be for the best too.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Sat, 21 May 2016, 03:06 #259 Last Edit: Sat, 21 May 2016, 03:27 by The Laughing Fish
Here is a YouTube video from a disgruntled fan talking about the over-exaggeration of the film critics hating on the film.

It doesn't really say anything different to what most people on this forum here who have discussed its merits and defended it from the exaggerated backlash, but it's still nice to see someone calling out some of the ridiculous statements against this movie. For example, comparing the special effects in a Lego Batman movie favourably than this one, and even calling it more realistic. Or a film critic whose opening headline for her negative review of BvS is only "Really?". And some people wonder why I have no time for critics.

For anyone who still needs to use critical consensus to defend or even criticise a film: if you can't watch something for yourself without somebody else's influence, don't be upset if nobody takes you seriously. The guy who made the video admitted that he found things about BvS that bothered him a lot, despite he loved it as a whole. That's the point of being objective, isn't it?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei