Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Started by Edd Grayson, Wed, 21 May 2014, 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic
If I were Affleck, I'd watch some B:TAS episodes to learn from the best, Conroy  ;)

I'm hoping he uses his Daredevil voice; he masked it enough to avoid it being recognizable but not the the extent of being irritating.

The new Batman theme by Junkie XL has been teased:

https://soundcloud.com/watertowermusic/menarestillgood_batman

It's taken a few listens, but personally, I'm liking it.

Like the Batmobile, it seems to be a Burton and Nolan hybrid. A more distinct, heroic melody underneath the drumming which bangs overhead. Giving it a darker vibe, and a melody I may be able to memorise in time.

Interesting approach. Feels a bit more like a villain theme to me, but it may be a deliberate way to play off of how criminals (and Superman) view Batman as this monster.

The title leads me to predict that this Bruce Wayne will start off broken and cynical (due to the loss of Robin and the people in the Wayne Enterprises building), but, through Superman, he will regain his faith in people. Basically, he'll start off in Frank Miller TDKR mode and mellow out into a Justice League/Justice League Unlimited type Batman.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

I think it's going to be better if there's one Batman theme again, ala the Burton and Schumacher days, and the composer does variations of it. Rather than several different themes ala the Zimmer days, with everyone arguing as to what the real theme was. The Junkie XL theme hits the right spot for me. It's dark, menacing and I dare say, evokes the Goldenthal theme in parts. Which isn't a bad thing.

I think it's a bit average. It's got nothing on the Elfman theme or the MOS theme, but at least it feels more operatic than Zimmer's unbelievably dull Batman theme.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Zimmer's Batman score was not memorable to me at all, unlike Elfman and Goldenthal. Elfman's was awesome, Goldenthal did a fair replacement while still sounding appropriate for the new direction.

I think the new theme sounds good.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Sat,  6 Feb  2016, 07:22
Zimmer's Batman score was not memorable to me at all, unlike Elfman and Goldenthal. Elfman's was awesome, Goldenthal did a fair replacement while still sounding appropriate for the new direction.

I think the new theme sounds good.

Agreed. Zimmers a fine composer but his dark knight theme was good for a regular movie but has nothing on other more memorable superhero scores such as the original Superman, Batman, and Spider-man themes. Another aspect of the Nolan films which make them good movies but not necissarily good super hero movies.

Quote from: riddler on Sun,  7 Feb  2016, 03:04
Agreed. Zimmers a fine composer but his dark knight theme was good for a regular movie but has nothing on other more memorable superhero scores such as the original Superman, Batman, and Spider-man themes. Another aspect of the Nolan films which make them good movies but not necissarily good super hero movies.

Don't take this as an attack, but I never understood when people say "this is a good movie, but not a good superhero movie". I've seen some people use this explanation to explain why they don't like Burton's films and even MOS, and it never made any sense to me. Personally, if I don't think a superhero movie is very good, then it's not a good movie at all. There's no logical way of sugar-coating it.

Sorry, but it's just a gripe of mine.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei