Gotham Trailer

Started by BatmAngelus, Tue, 6 May 2014, 00:56

Previous topic - Next topic
While nothing about it looks inherently terrible, it just looks incredibly bland and generic and it looks just like any other police procedural drama on right now. I think I'll only watch this if the reviews are unamiously positive. If it gets mixed or just fairly decent reviews, then I don't think I'll ever watch it.

Quote from: mrrockey on Mon, 14 Jul  2014, 10:37
While nothing about it looks inherently terrible, it just looks incredibly bland and generic and it looks just like any other police procedural drama on right now. I think I'll only watch this if the reviews are unamiously positive. If it gets mixed or just fairly decent reviews, then I don't think I'll ever watch it.
The advance word so far is positive but it will be a pretty tall task to get unanimously great reviews.  Few films and shows get that.

I know what you mean about it looking like a rote police procedural series, but surely the interesting aspect is seeing the juxtaposition between the police procedural and the bizarre characters that make up Batman's Rogue's Gallery.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Mon, 14 Jul 2014, 22:32 #22 Last Edit: Tue, 15 Jul 2014, 18:53 by johnnygobbs

I really like this character poster.  I like how the Oswald Cobblepot looks a bit like a Penguin, and how Selina Kyle is very feline-looking and, as many people have already commented, a bit like a young Michelle Pfeiffer.

Edward Nygma's question mark tie is also a cool touch. 

Also, I detect some foreshadowing in the name of the Penguin's boss, 'Fish Mooney'.  After all, what do penguins tend to eat...

Anyway, what I like about this is that it feels like it's going to embrace the symbolic OTT aspect of Tim Burton's Batman movies, rather than the ultra-serious, ultra-credible, 'it could happen in the real world' vibe of the Nolan movies.  Nolan's 'Penguin' would never have looked like a penguin, with a beak-like nose, and Anne Hathaway's Catwoman didn't look particularly feline.

I still think it would have been a better idea to go with the Gotham Central approach, of having it set in "modern day" Gotham City where Batman is around, just not seen.

But, here's hoping this will work out because I need something to hold me over until B v S finally comes out.

Quote from: phantom stranger on Tue, 15 Jul  2014, 06:27
I still think it would have been a better idea to go with the Gotham Central approach, of having it set in "modern day" Gotham City where Batman is around, just not seen.
Agree 100%.

Apparently "Gotham" will feature a new potential Joker candidate each week and tease the audience along throughout the series.

I think this is a great idea because on one hand it gives the Joker a background; on the other hand, it doesn't or at least not a definitive one, thereby satisfying everyone...in theory.  :-\

I'm delighted to hear that actress Carol Kane may be playing the mother of The Penguin in this show. Making her the first actress to do so since Batman Returns, Diane Salinger was it?

I love Kane's work. She played the grandmother of the Addams Family in "Addams Family Values" and also made quite a splash as a violent fairy kicking the crap out of Bill Murray in Richard Donner's "Scrooged" ("Sometimes you have to SMACK them in the face just to get their attention!") lol

Always a joy for me when your favourite character actors someday slip into the Batman world.

Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Fri, 18 Jul  2014, 10:32
I'm delighted to hear that actress Carol Kane may be playing the mother of The Penguin in this show. Making her the first actress to do so since Batman Returns, Diane Salinger was it?

I love Kane's work. She played the grandmother of the Addams Family in "Addams Family Values" and also made quite a splash as a violent fairy kicking the crap out of Bill Murray in Richard Donner's "Scrooged" ("Sometimes you have to SMACK them in the face just to get their attention!") lol

Always a joy for me when your favourite character actors someday slip into the Batman world.
I agree Cobblepot4Mayor.  Carol Kane was a delight in 'Scrooged' and the 'Addams Family Values', and I've always been a big fan of hers.  She seems like a perfect choice for Oswald Cobblepot's ma.  I guess she's going to be more like the over-protective bird-shop owner of the earlier comic-books than the wealthy snob of 'Batman Returns' and the later comic-books which retconned Cobblepot's origins as the son of one of the city's elite families.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon, 14 Jul  2014, 11:26
Quote from: mrrockey on Mon, 14 Jul  2014, 10:37
The advance word so far is positive but it will be a pretty tall task to get unanimously great reviews.  Few films and shows get that.

I know what you mean about it looking like a rote police procedural series, but surely the interesting aspect is seeing the juxtaposition between the police procedural and the bizarre characters that make up Batman's Rogue's Gallery.

I don't know. For me, seeing a show set in the Batman universe, WITHOUT Batman or any of his supporting characters BEING the characters we know and love, is just pointless. It's probably mainly gonna be Gordon solving murder cases or fighting mob bosses in Gotham, which pretty much makes it every other cop drama on right now. I just don't see the appeal behind watching these characters we know and love, not BEING the characters we know and love.