Batman Returns and The Comics

Started by BatmAngelus, Sat, 19 Jul 2008, 18:03

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 19 Jul 2008, 18:03 Last Edit: Fri, 3 Aug 2012, 23:09 by Paul (ral)
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

You forgot to mention The Penguin's connection to Killer Croc.

I'm not too familiar with Killer Croc, especially before 1992.  I didn't put that in because I didn't see much of a connection.  Sure, there are a couple similarities- both are deformed villains who hang out in the sewer.  I've also heard of Croc being associated with the circus, but I don't know if that came in before or after 1992.  If there is more, though, I'll be happy to hear it.  :)

I didn't mind putting in the connections with Rupert Thorne and The Killing Joke because those were definite influences on B89 that could've carried over, but I wanted to show how the film characters embodied their comic book counterparts, rather than other comic book characters, like Killer Croc, whom I'm not sure Burton was even familiar with.
Otherwise, I could just as easily draw a parallel between Nicholson's Joker origin and Marvel Comics's Jigsaw origin in the B89 influences thread, since both were vain mob men who lost the battle in their first encounter with a vigilante, fell from a great height, and had their faces disfigured, bringing out a psychopathic dark side that lead them to become said vigilante's greatest nemesis.

That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Thanks BatmAngelus.  It seems that there were some comic influences in BR, at least more than I thought, which was very little.
I appreciate ALL dark, serious, and faithful Batman films.

Wed, 23 Jul 2008, 13:43 #4 Last Edit: Wed, 23 Jul 2008, 13:46 by BurtonBatman
I just reread this again.  Even though its not my favorite Burton Batfilm, I still find the film interesting.  I've always had a mixed opinion about BR.  I want to love it as much as B89 because of Keaton/Burton/Elfman and a darker Batman, but I also want to hate it because it was too perverse (I mean all the sexual inuendos in the film) and it had more artistic influences rather than those from the source material (comics).  I often ask myself, why I own this film, but I can't get rid of it either.  I don't know, maybe with time I'll get what others think about this film, but this thread was a definite help.

Also, mods, I believe this thread deserves a sticky as well.  Last request, I promise ;)

I'm too lazy to scan it in but Batman #257 shows the Penguin eating raw fish.

Y'know, just for the folks who say he never did such a thing in the comics...

Very nice, ZUPERZERO.  I didn't realize that one could argue that Returns did a faithful take on Detective Comics #28 as B89 did one on Detective Comics #27.
Perhaps if Burton did a third one, we'd see stuff from Detective Comics #29  ;)

If this keeps up, I'll have to reevaluate my opinion of BR ;)

Fri, 25 Jul 2008, 23:18 #9 Last Edit: Fri, 25 Jul 2008, 23:25 by ZUPERZERO

"Perhaps if Burton did a third one, we'd see stuff from Detective Comics #29 "

one thing we can be (almost) sure is that Burton surely have use the 1rst frame from Detective comics 29 for his 1rst scene in his 3rd Batman movie, just like he use the 1rst frame from Detective comics #27 and 28 for Batman and Batman Returns 1rst scenes