Batman '66 Volume 1

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 13 Apr 2014, 22:48

Previous topic - Next topic
The first collected edition of the Batman '66 comic comes out in the UK this week. I haven't actually read any of this series so far, as I decided to wait for the collected volume. So I'm dying to read this. I've pre-ordered my copy. I hope some other site members will be picking it up too.

wait. it is all of them IN ONE BOOK? omg. i haven't gotten any yet either. i have to get that!!!!

I've been waiting for a collected volume too.

Volume 2 is released October.

My copy arrived in the post today. It's a nicely bound hardcover edition containing ten stories of varying length. Some are only a few pages long, but others are closer to thirty pages. I've only read the first two stories, as I'm trying to pace myself to make the book last longer, but so far it's definitely met my expectations. It perfectly captures everything that was good about the TV show and translates it into a stylised comic book format. The characterisations are spot on, as is the art (the Joker clearly has a moustache under his makeup :D), and the first story even has a wall-climbing sequence where the Dynamic Duo stop to chat with a guest star.

The tone reflects the lighter and more imaginative stories of the Silver and Golden Age comics, before the preoccupation with 'realism' made such stories passé. I love those eras of the comics, so I find this book to be a refreshing change from all the doom and gloom of the New 52 Batman titles. Yes, it's very moving to see Bruce Wayne experiencing the various stages of grief following his son's death. But let's be honest, Batman '66 is simply more fun to read. It leaves you feeling cheerful, not depressed. And I expect a lot of readers will laugh out loud at least a few times. I know I did.

The reviewer for Sound on Site summed it up nicely:
QuoteWith Parker and the artists striking out in their own direction, Batman '66 is full of catchy, short stories featuring Batman, Robin and their colorful allies and villains. The joy that exists on every page is a near perfect rejuvenation of the spirit of the television show. That hint of Adam West's voice behind this Batman combined with the visual likeness of Cesar Romero, Burgess Meredith, Yvonne Craig and everyone else set the mood perfectly for the return of "Bam! Biff! and Pow!" Parker and the artists on this book are using the language and style created by the 1966 television show but bending it to their own stories. These aren't just retread pastiches of what's come before but enjoyable and new stories that are about this great character.
http://www.soundonsight.org/batman-66-jeff-parker-jonathan-case-review/

Maybe it's premature of me to say this since I've only read the first two stories, but I'm going to go ahead and recommend it anyway. If you're a fan of the sixties Batman, or simply looking for a good quality Batman comic to read, then this one's well worth buying. Give it a look.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 15 Apr  2014, 00:04Volume 2 is released October.

Excellent!  ;D