Richard Strange (Joker Goon) Interview

Started by Paul (ral), Fri, 10 Jan 2014, 15:58

Previous topic - Next topic
I spoke with actor and musician Richard Strange recently about his time on Batman 89. Richard was the tall Joker Goon in the film!

http://www.batman-online.com/features/2014/1/10/richard-strange-interview-joker-goon-actor-in-1989-batman

That was a great interview, Paul. I really enjoyed reading this one. Richard sounds genuinely enthusiastic about the movie. And his insight into what it was like working with Jack was very interesting. Especially that story about him helping Dave Whiteing out of his financial troubles. Good stuff.

One of the things I always loved about the goons was how they look like they had fun during their scenes.

Great interview

Absolutely brilliant. He remembers so much that you instantly know the movie is still very dear to him. And that's always a joy to hear about. The scene where Nicholson uses him as a human stepping stone NEVER fails to crack me up.

In the interview he says his character has no name, however isn't it possible he's the one called "Terrence"? This is the goon who hands the Joker his paintbrush. I'm not sure. Nicholson says that line in a highly amusing, almost song-like way, "Terrence....brush!!!" And you just know what he's about to do to that valuable painting.

Interesting that he has roots in the punk rock movement. Very interesting to see him collaborate with new Doctor Who Peter Capaldi! Incidently on that subject Steven Moffat simply has to script a brief scene at some point of Capaldi showing off his guitar skills. I'd LOVE to see a moment like that in his new character lol Given that Mr Strange has rubbed shoulders with the likes of Johnny Rotten and the Sex Pistols he may even have hung out with future Siouxsie and the Banshees members Siouxsie Sioux and Steven Severin, who of course have their own Bat connections.

And Jack Nicholson as a LIFEGUARD! Wow just wow. Suddenly that Batman/Joker surfing sequence back in Adam West's days seems to finally make sense and even be prophetic lol

Great interview Paul.  :)

I love how much fun he seemed to have gleefully trashing the Flugelheim and I agree with you about Richard's mannerisms during the 'He stole my balloons' moment.  He looks around in gormless bewilderment which I always thought was a great touch.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Good interview! I liked the bit where Richard claimed that Nicholson stole his idea to dance in front of the ballet painting.  ;D Oh well, at least Nicholson was kind enough to help the dresser with his financial problems.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Should have elaborated more... The "tall guy with the scar", Richard Strange, was my fav goon alongside Tracey Walter, and it's great to see that the actor has fond memories and is still enthusiastic about B'89. This interview made me re-watch the museum scene and actually enhances it (also: great to see that Jack Nicholson can be a really nice guy).

Definitely enhances scenes to hear from those in them as you say Nycteris. It's about as close as we will get to being back on set in 88 :-)

Outstanding interview!

Thanks for that, Paul.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."