The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Thu, 5 Dec 2013, 17:59

Previous topic - Next topic
This series fixed practically everything people hated about the previous series;

-no constant narrating
-no monologues from Aunt May
-Peter Parker not a super nerd
-no crying
-the soap opera with Mary Jane replaced by an interesting dynamic
-the damsel in distress clichee replaced with a heroic love interest
-despite being under developed, the villains are less cartoony

Yes, riddler, but some movie fans are impossible to please, I guess they'd have wanted Maguire and Dunst to return and to fix all the problems as well.  ::)

If anyone attempts to use box office results as an argument for how good a movie is, the spider-man series is a simple counter argument;

The spidey film with the most box office indake was the 2007 film. Good luck arguing that one is the best.

Well you guys are going to laugh - there are people on the internet complaining that Andrew Garfield plays Peter Parker as 'too cool' because he skates and isn't a cartoonish nerd. I'm not kidding.  ::)

I won't argue that the new films retreads on a lot of stuff from Raimi i.e. relationships, tragic villains, but some of the complaints, like Oscorp being tied to Peter Parker's destiny in becoming Spider-Man, are just petty. Besides, if people can accept Batman being trained by the League of Shadows Assassins and becomes involved in a conspiracy to keep a lawyer's reputation clean, then the Oscorp sub-plot shouldn't bother them too much.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 21 Dec  2014, 07:01
Well you guys are going to laugh - there are people on the internet complaining that Andrew Garfield plays Peter Parker as 'too cool' because he skates and isn't a cartoonish nerd. I'm not kidding.  ::)

I won't argue that the new films retreads on a lot of stuff from Raimi i.e. relationships, tragic villains, but some of the complaints, like Oscorp being tied to Peter Parker's destiny in becoming Spider-Man, are just petty. Besides, if people can accept Batman being trained by the League of Shadows Assassins and becomes involved in a conspiracy to keep a lawyer's reputation clean, then the Oscorp sub-plot shouldn't bother them too much.

People who complain about that stuff are just looking for things to whine about; they complain about having too many characters and plotlines, well bonding them all to Oscorp is one way to get around that sort of thing. It's not like these movies invented Parker's parents and their importance, in the ultimate arc, richard parker is responsible for the Venom Symbiote.

The relationship aspect is anything but a retread from the raimi films, the only manner similar is that Peter is a heterosexual in both lines. Even the biggest detractors of the new films concede that the love story was well done whereas the Peter/Mary Jane plot lines in the previous one was unbelievably tiresome. "Oh look Peter is into a girl, Webb never would have come up with that idea if Raimi didn't do it first".

the tragic villains I agree with; the Lizard has a similar arc to Doc Ock, Electro with the Sand man, Harry as Venom. I think we've all been longing for a spider-man film with a joker like villain who isn't redeeming and just a bad guy. We'll probably get that with Rhino if the story continues.

The people who complain about Garfield don't read the comics. And I don't think Garfield is perfect I think they can do better but he's far and away better than Maguire; Peter parker is a smartass genius not an aimless whiny, crying wimp constantly pondering life every day. The only time Maguires character showed intelligence was during class. As spider-man he was routinely out smarted by villains relying on either the villains to see the error of their own ways, getting help from Harry, or dumb luck. If this series ever does the sand man expect Parker to use science against him.

I was onboard with Garfield as Parker, Stone as Gwen, and the idea of rebooting with Peter in high school while incorporating more comic book elements that Raimi didn't explore. That said, the first Amazing Spider-Man didn't work for me when I saw it. I felt it ran way too long,  the storyline was a clunky mess, and, despite Garfield's best efforts, I didn't feel for this take on Peter. If anything, I gained more appreciation for Raimi's take when walking out of it. I didn't see the second one as the trailers, clips, and general ideas just didn't appeal to me.

So I'm not going to shed tears if this take on the series is already dying, as the Sony leaks seem to imply. The leaks also show that the Sony execs are just scrambling to find ways to keep the franchise alive through different casting/adapting different stories, but genuinely don't have a clue what their next steps are gonna be.

If Marvel Studios can actually pull off taking over this franchise and bringing their new creative take on Spidey into one of their films, then more power to them. I think the ideas that've been reported on their end are the right way to go since I'm not interested in seeing the Amazing Spider-Man universe integrated into the Marvel Cinematic Universe and think that if they're gonna do a rebooted take, it makes sense to bring him on in a supporting role first, along the lines of Ruffalo's Bruce Banner in Avengers, before expanding on him later. Ideally, this version could combine the elements that people liked about the last two takes.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/spider-man-swings-marvel-studios-772127

Marvel Studios is officially teaming up with Sony to integrate the character into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Hollywood Reporter is saying that Andrew Garfield is not expected to return and that this will be a new take on Spidey. No word yet on what this means for the planned Sinister Six movie, but it's probably dead, for the best.

Personally, I couldn't be happier. While I didn't really have a problem with Garfield, he would definitely bring baggage with him and I think the MCU should start fresh with the character and not have to associate itself with the TASM movies.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Tue, 10 Feb  2015, 05:36
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/spider-man-swings-marvel-studios-772127

Marvel Studios is officially teaming up with Sony to integrate the character into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Hollywood Reporter is saying that Andrew Garfield is not expected to return and that this will be a new take on Spidey. No word yet on what this means for the planned Sinister Six movie, but it's probably dead, for the best.

Personally, I couldn't be happier. While I didn't really have a problem with Garfield, he would definitely bring baggage with him and I think the MCU should start fresh with the character and not have to associate itself with the TASM movies.
I think we're going to need a new thread for this reboot.

Do you think third time will be a charm? :)

By the way, I'm stoked about this news too.  I just hope Sony take all of Marvel Studio's creative guidance when it comes to making the solo Spidey films (even if they reap the profits) so that both studios can benefit (MS don't want to be lumbered with a second-rate Spider-Man as part of their Avengers movies).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

i watched the two amazing spider-man films yesterday for the first time in a year (3rd time overall for the 2nd film and 4th time watching the 1st). So basically this was my first time watching these films knowing the series was over and the plotlines would not be further resolved.

There definitely was a change in tone between them. The 2nd film was much darker. The 1st film glossed over the sad parts (Ben and captains deaths). Something I found kind of interesting; in the 2nd Raimi film, Aunt may gives a much maligned speech about the hero in all of us; in this series you can tell Webb tried to make more characters heroic (and by actually doing heroic things instead of preaching like Raimis characters did)
-Gwen stacey is very heroic, I don't think I need to go into detail there as it's been discussed to death
-Martin Sheen actually tried to physically stop the shooter instead of preaching to him
-Curt Conners starts out with noble intentions (though so do all Raimis villains other than Eddie Brock)
-Aunt May holds her own health problems inside and you see her step up and take charge in the hospital in the 2nd film when Electro messes with the power
-Dennis Leary actually goes after the lizard while James Cromwell sat back and barked orders on the radio.

now this doesn't automatically mean the films are better, it may be a commentary on the evolution of superhero stories; Nolans films had more heroic characters than Burton's. It probably started with the Adam West Batman series in which the quip was that every city occupied by a super hero has useless citizens and police officers.

I saw the deleted scenes for the second film for the first time. They featured more of the deceased characters as well as Richard Parker showing up alive. Also flash thompson was in a deleted scene at his high school graduation, no longer a bully but rather an obnoxious nice guy on good terms with Peter and Gwen preparing to leave for the army; I definitely got the impression they were setting him up to become venom.

It's also easy to tell that Harry was setting up the sinister six; we all know Rhino appears, the vulture wings and doc ock tentacles are also shown so they would have been 4 of the six, possibly electro and Lizard forming the team.

Quote from: riddler on Sat, 20 Dec  2014, 15:50This series fixed practically everything people hated about the previous series;

-no constant narrating
-no monologues from Aunt May
-Peter Parker not a super nerd
-no crying
-the soap opera with Mary Jane replaced by an interesting dynamic
-the damsel in distress clichee replaced with a heroic love interest
-despite being under developed, the villains are less cartoony
That is basically almost all the opposite of true, except for the narrating which only happened a couple times in the first movie and third and the second has only one instance of it, and the supernerd. Peter cried more in the first movie than he did in any of the Raimi ones. The TASM romance were just soap opera-ish. The villains are mostly more cartoony than the Raimi ones. Gwen's entire purpose was to be a damsel in distress cliche. The heroism is just used to make it seem less sexist, when it makes more. There are also still monologues, just more out of emotional ranting, than calm lesson teaching.

God bless you! God bless everyone!