H.R. Giger and the Batmobile

Started by The Joker, Thu, 5 Dec 2013, 13:11

Previous topic - Next topic

http://legendsrevealed.com/entertainment/2013/10/09/did-h-r-giger-really-design-a-batmobile-for-batman-forever/#more-5199

Interesting article about the fact that WB, back in 1994, asked famed Alien designer H.R. Giger to do a new take on the Batmobile for Schumacher's Batman Forever.

From the looks of it, they certainly received a new and 'different' take.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

That is an abomination. Looks like a pair of pliers!  ???
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Far too outlandish (I'm so glad with what we ended up with in the final design) and he made similar mistakes on Alien3 in overdoing it all. Still great that they asked him and that he played a very small part.

Note the listing of "Batman 3" there. That's BATMAN 3 to you fools out there who think and regard the movie as a reboot. No it wasn't! I was there in the summer of 95 and that awful word didn't bite us all on the ass until 2005 and Batman Begins lol The crappy and lazy concept didn't yet exist.

the pink one looks like a mutant earthworm! *pukes*

the black one looks like a mutant caterpillar lol.

what the hell does hr stand for? hideous r-tist? lmao

the one that they actually used, omg i love that car.

Quote from: Catwoman on Fri,  6 Dec  2013, 17:05
the pink one looks like a mutant earthworm! *pukes*

the black one looks like a mutant caterpillar lol.

what the hell does hr stand for? hideous r-tist? lmao

the one that they actually used, omg i love that car.
I can't stand Giger's design in this instance.  The car looks even more impractical than the other Batmobiles without their aesthetic appeal.  It just seems to be different for the sake of being different.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Hmmm... Well, Joel did update the classic world that Burton created, and put Batman in a more contemporary environment. But this goes a bit beyond and comes off as a bit sci-fi. I guess I can't really judge until I've seen it in action, and what the purpose of the design is, but I have a feeling that the only purpose is for it to be outlandish. While you can't top the original, I'm glad Schumacher settled on a more comic-identifyable Batmobile. The biggest problem with this (as well at the Tumbler) is that it doesn't come off as a Batmobile... just some strange vehicle that Batman happens to drive.