The Making of Batman Forever the video game

Started by Bobthegoon89, Fri, 24 Aug 2012, 23:04

Previous topic - Next topic
Fri, 30 Aug 2013, 23:27 #10 Last Edit: Fri, 30 Aug 2013, 23:48 by SilentEnigma
Nice nostalgic thoughts, Cobblepot. I like that you defend the underdog (saying that Batman Forever: The Game is good and the critically acclaimed Adventures of Batman & Robin is bad almost sounds like saying the movie Batman & Robin is better than Batman Begins).

That said, I think Batman Forever: The Game is bad, but not boring. It's fascinatingly bad. It's not a half-a$$ed licence slapped together in a few weeks to make the deadline - it's obvious that a lot of money and effort were spent, and that Probe were proud of it; a feeling one always gets after they give it all working hard on something.

It's not the execution but the idea that was fundamentally wrong: MK controls with platform never had any hope of mixing well, and an action platformer that has complex and non-intuitive controls that require the player to study the manual (which was often missing in second hand games) is automatically a loser. Also, any way you look at it, digitized sprites looked ridiculous even in 1995 (unless the game had a mispelled Kombat in its title).

Just like with movies, however, there are games which are interesting in their badness (AVGN wouldn't be so popular otherwise). I also have fond memories of being a kid playing it. First Mega Drive, then SNES. I cursed a lot, but cursing while playing was always part of the fun.

QuoteTo have actual stuntmen as the playable characters was such a brilliant notion and very exciting for me as a child and I can't for the life of me since understand why somebody wouldn't like to re-attempt that idea now.

Actually, it has been done many times - look at any fighting game that tried to imitate MK (from Kasumi Ninja and Street Fighter The Movie to some Jackie Chan arcade games and the ridiculous, and never released, Tattoo Assassins), or other genres that used digitized actors for the main sprite. This was one of the trends of the 90s.

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Fri, 30 Aug  2013, 23:27
Nice nostalgic thoughts, Cobblepot. I like that you defend the underdog (saying that Batman Forever: The Game is good and the critically acclaimed Adventures of Batman & Robin is bad almost sounds like saying the movie Batman & Robin is better than Batman Begins).

That said, I think Batman Forever: The Game is bad, but not boring. It's fascinatingly bad. It's not a half-a$$ed licence slapped together in a few weeks to make the deadline - it's obvious that a lot of money and effort were spent, and that Probe were proud of it; a feeling one always gets after they give it all working hard on something.

It's not the execution but the idea that was fundamentally wrong: MK controls with platform never had any hope of mixing well, and an action platformer that has complex and non-intuitive controls that require the player to study the manual (which was often missing in second hand games) is automatically a loser. Also, any way you look at it, digitized sprites looked ridiculous even in 1995 (unless the game had a mispelled Kombat in its title).

Just like with movies, however, there are games which are interesting in their badness (AVGN wouldn't be so popular otherwise). I also have fond memories of being a kid playing it. First Mega Drive, then SNES. I cursed a lot, but cursing while playing was always part of the fun.

QuoteTo have actual stuntmen as the playable characters was such a brilliant notion and very exciting for me as a child and I can't for the life of me since understand why somebody wouldn't like to re-attempt that idea now.

Actually, it has been done many times - look at any fighting game that tried to imitate MK (from Kasumi Ninja and Street Fighter The Movie to some Jackie Chan arcade games and the ridiculous, and never released, Tattoo Assassins), or other genres that used digitized actors for the main sprite. This was one of the trends of the 90s.

What I meant was I'd like to see that method used again someday in a new Batman game. Digitize a real stuntman/actor in an actual batsuit but with the technology of today. Surely it's far better to do now. Not sure how much it would cost but it has to be cheaper than animating characters. It'd be like a Batman movie you can control in game form. Someday it'll happen.

The controls were a problem. I could never use any of the special gadgets on offer because of having to remember the complicated procedures for each one. What I did (much to the horror of various game designers I'm sure, even bad ones in the case of Batman Forever) is I merely bashed out every button combination I could think of and occasionally a special weapon would miraculously appear for me. I eventually managed to use Batarangs and the Bat Bola's and even the cape shield. I often used the electric pellet weapon to stun thugs and this is in fact how I finally beat the dreaded game. Just stunning every foe I could so I didn't need to fight two or three at the same time.

Adventures of Batman and Robin was critically acclaimed? You must be joking. Had I been much older at the time and read reviews and such I probably would have asked those reviewers what they were smoking lol I think a love for the animated series is what pushed that one through. It's impressive graphics kinda blinded them to the truth of it all. I could never get past the Two-Face level with the stolen Zeppelin. There's a section where your gliding over Gotham City and about a million helicopters and rockets come at you from every conceivable angle. I kept losing my Batarang power ups with their increased firepower so I was always down to the weakest (default) weapon, which when all is said and done was useless against opponents. I don't think there was even a level select. Each time I played that game I could never relax and enjoy it because hundreds of foes would be descending on you from all sides. It's also more of a shooter game really than a hand to hand combat Batman game.

In this age there is a lot of games being produced on past franchises such as Ghostbusters, Aliens and Back to the Future. I'd especially love a game produced for the Adam West show. Can you imagine? When your punching some thugs and those pop art word balloons and their crazy sayings blaze across the screen? It'd be a riot.

Wed, 4 Sep 2013, 15:04 #12 Last Edit: Wed, 4 Sep 2013, 15:06 by gordonblu
I basically enjoyed the game, although that incident on Claw Island with the six different switches was the most maddening segment of a game I've ever played outside of Japanese Super Mario Brothers 2 (a.k.a. the Lost Levels).

I recorded the game as well and made a mini movie out of it. I turned off the games music and added Elfman and Goldenthal to it as well. It's embarrassing to watch because of how badly I play, but I did manage to make it all the way through.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Sat, 31 Aug  2013, 15:57
What I meant was I'd like to see that method used again someday in a new Batman game. Digitize a real stuntman/actor in an actual batsuit but with the technology of today. Surely it's far better to do now. Not sure how much it would cost but it has to be cheaper than animating characters. It'd be like a Batman movie you can control in game form. Someday it'll happen.
The gaming industry would never fall back on digitized raster graphics.

The controls were a problem. I could never use any of the special gadgets on offer because of having to remember the complicated procedures for each one. What I did (much to the horror of various game designers I'm sure, even bad ones in the case of Batman Forever) is I merely bashed out every button combination I could think of and occasionally a special weapon would miraculously appear for me. I eventually managed to use Batarangs and the Bat Bola's and even the cape shield. I often used the electric pellet weapon to stun thugs and this is in fact how I finally beat the dreaded game. Just stunning every foe I could so I didn't need to fight two or three at the same time.
#@$£∞%$#¥! (agreed)

Adventures of Batman and Robin was critically acclaimed? You must be joking. Had I been much older at the time and read reviews and such I probably would have asked those reviewers what they were smoking lol I think a love for the animated series is what pushed that one through. It's impressive graphics kinda blinded them to the truth of it all. I could never get past the Two-Face level with the stolen Zeppelin. There's a section where your gliding over Gotham City and about a million helicopters and rockets come at you from every conceivable angle. I kept losing my Batarang power ups with their increased firepower so I was always down to the weakest (default) weapon, which when all is said and done was useless against opponents. I don't think there was even a level select. Each time I played that game I could never relax and enjoy it because hundreds of foes would be descending on you from all sides. It's also more of a shooter game really than a hand to hand combat Batman game.

Yeah, it received pretty good reviews for the graphics and the frenetic Contra-like action. Yes, it's VERY challenging, I suffered through it back in the day and I never finished it without resorting to cheats. The challenge, however, was part of the charm for the hardcore shooter fans that enjoyed it. IMO the game is still worth it for the work done with the visuals - a true 16-bit masterpiece considering the Mega Drive's graphical limitations compared to SNES. You can still play it either using the level skip code (still remember it, pause and input B,A,D,B,A,D,L,U,C) or some game genie for infinite health and max weapons.

In this age there is a lot of games being produced on past franchises such as Ghostbusters, Aliens and Back to the Future. I'd especially love a game produced for the Adam West show. Can you imagine? When your punching some thugs and those pop art word balloons and their crazy sayings blaze across the screen? It'd be a riot.
The 60s show is made for a Final Fight styled brawler. Three players, including Batgirl. Many stages and boss fights. I could see this made by the likes of WayForward (who made several retro remakes or retro throwbacks including but not limited to A Boy and His Blob, Contra 4, Batman: Brave and the Bold, Thor, Ducktales). I'd rather see something based on the 80-90s movies or cartoons though!

Quote from: gordonblu on Wed,  4 Sep  2013, 15:04
I basically enjoyed the game, although that incident on Claw Island with the six different switches was the most maddening segment of a game I've ever played outside of Japanese Super Mario Brothers 2 (a.k.a. the Lost Levels).
#@$£∞$@#%$#¥! (agreed)

Quote from: gordonblu on Wed,  4 Sep  2013, 15:04
I recorded the game as well and made a mini movie out of it. I turned off the games music and added Elfman and Goldenthal to it as well. It's embarrassing to watch because of how badly I play, but I did manage to make it all the way through.
In movies they don't talk about it, they show it! (where is the video link??)

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Thu,  5 Sep  2013, 00:09
In movies they don't talk about it, they show it! (where is the video link??)
I made the mini movie a LONG time ago, before we had internet and would have to go find the VHS I put it on! There's only 40 different tapes I could try! ;)
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Quote from: gordonblu on Mon,  9 Sep  2013, 18:03
I made the mini movie a LONG time ago, before we had internet and would have to go find the VHS I put it on! There's only 40 different tapes I could try! ;)

Videotape? I used to record games on VHS too, they're still somewhere but videotapes weren't known for their durability. Once I even connected two VCRs and attempted to re-edit a playthrough of Batman Returns for SNES, inserting scenes from the movie between the levels as FMV "cutscenes". Lots of FF/REW and switching tapes, lol. Happy, carefree times. :P

Sat, 14 Sep 2013, 12:55 #16 Last Edit: Sat, 14 Sep 2013, 12:58 by GBglide
I used to record the endings of video games I beat back in the NES days.
Then in '91 we got a SNES on the first day it came out and taped previews of games we had. We lent that tape out anyone who was thinking about getting a new system.

Do we have thread for video games here?