Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 28 Sep 2013, 17:38

Previous topic - Next topic
Did anyone watch the first episode? And if you so, what are your thoughts?

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 28 Sep  2013, 17:38
Did anyone watch the first episode? And if you so, what are your thoughts?
It didn't completely blow me away and it did feel very much like a standard smart-alecky Joss Whedon show but it certainly has plenty of potential, and I particularly liked how this episode tied up with 'Iron Man 3' Extremis plot (was it set before or after the main events of that film though?)

I'm not overly fond of the geeky, 'comic-relief' British scientist duo or the gung-ho, borderline fascist Agent Ward (although we're probably not meant to root for him particularly in view of his sneering line about 'cosplay girls', which surely won't endure him to one of the show's key fanbase) but Agent Coulson is as ever a great character.  Upstanding, moral, calm, decent, diplomatic and quick to stand up for the 'little people'.  Plus, unlike the legions of super-powered heroes and genius scientists that surround him, Coulson is fundamentally a 'normal guy'.  His only 'superpower' so to speak is his unwavering sense of integrity.  In other words, the type of moral hero the average viewer can relate to and really get behind and Clark Gregg yet again gives another empathetic, unassuming and engaging performance.  I particularly liked his "Don't ever tell me there's no way" reproach to the two lackeys who suggested that the only way of saving this episode's 'freak of the week' was to kill him even if his closing line was rather disappointing, falling short of the 'where we're going we don't need roads' memorability promised by the circumstances.  The mystery surrounding Coulson's reappearance clearly holds a lot of promise and it's interesting to see a central character who is both down-to-earth and enigmatic.  Also, we get a hint of the slightly more shady side of Maria Hill's personality which is a component of the comic-books.

So, thanks to Agent Coulson and some intelligent commentary on the impact real-life super-heroes, or 'giants' might have on the ordinary joes, or '99%', already struggling to get by in a world that doesn't appreciate their common-or-garden abilities, this is certainly a show I'll be coming back to, although it will be interesting to see some compelling regular villains, one of the mainstays of the Marvel Studios' films so far, to emerge alongside an interesting and varied group of 'goodies'.  If there was one element missing from the show, and I realise it's still early days, it was an overarching edge of peril that might provide the team with a unifying purpose other than cleaning up after the superheroes' mess.   
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I enjoyed it a lot. As gobbs said, Couslon was the best part. I'm a fan of Whedon's smart-alecky style so that didn't bother me at all.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

I kind of think it can still go either way. I actually just watched the Marvel one shots from all the avengers films, it did convince me that this sort of concept could work. Coulson and Hill are both good characters. One drawback is I wasn't impressed by any of the younger actors.

I've seen the first two episodes back-to-back recently.

It's not really engaging me so far. I've got to say I've never liked the concept of Coulson leading a small team of twenty-somethings who speak in geeky language. I would've preferred to have Nick Fury leading alongside Coulson and Maria Hill together with other SHIELD agents that exist in the Marvel universe. Although getting Jackson to star in such a show would be too expensive anyway.

The third episode is supposed to have Graviton as the villain, so hopefully it will show some improvement from thereon in. They'd have to be stupid to not include at least second rate heroes and villains, especially those who won't be in the movies any time soon.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Sat, 8 Mar 2014, 00:36 #5 Last Edit: Sat, 8 Mar 2014, 01:08 by The Laughing Fish
Is anyone still watching this show?

Personally, I've given up on it. I tried watching episodes ten and eleven because I heard the show was getting better. And I have no idea what people are talking about. I mean, sure, the show is slowly beginning to show how Coulson came back to life, but otherwise the goofy tone and boring plot is still the same. And besides, I've never cared for Coulson anyway. He is a bit part character at best - not someone who can carry a series.

What kills the show for me though are the three annoying characters - Skye, and those two lab nerds. Skye is incredibly annoying and her search for her missing parents is a cliche; who cares?! And as for the girl scientist? I'm starting to think she's even more annoying than Skye. Seriously, these characters are deadweight; get rid of them and you'll see the show actually show signs of improvement.

They're now trying to bring Bill Paxton and Sir from the Thor movies as guest stars for the next upcoming episodes. I'll only watch the Sir episode just for her, but I doubt watching any more after that. This show, as I've expected all along, just feels like it was made to ride on the coattails of the successful Marvel movies. It doesn't even feel like the same SHIELD from the Avengers movie.

To me, this is Marvel Studios ' biggest misstep since Iron Man 2.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

It looks like Ghost Rider will be making his MCU debut in the next season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Reports are saying it'll be the Robbie Reyes incarnation of the character rather than Johnny Blaze or Danny Ketch.

I'm surprised by this. I always figured Marvel's plan was to incorporate Ghost Rider into Netflix phase 2 following The Defenders. I assumed they'd start introducing these darker horror-themed characters after Doctor Strange broached the realm of the supernatural in the autumn. Maybe Ghost Rider's first episode won't air until after Doctor Strange has hit theatres. Or maybe his story arc in the series will tie in with the movie. Regardless, I think I'm sufficiently intrigued to start watching the show again when season 4 launches.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun, 24 Jul  2016, 15:12
It looks like Ghost Rider will be making his MCU debut in the next season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Reports are saying it'll be the Robbie Reyes incarnation of the character rather than Johnny Blaze or Danny Ketch.

I'm surprised by this. I always figured Marvel's plan was to incorporate Ghost Rider into Netflix phase 2 following The Defenders. I assumed they'd start introducing these darker horror-themed characters after Doctor Strange broached the realm of the supernatural in the autumn. Maybe Ghost Rider's first episode won't air until after Doctor Strange has hit theatres. Or maybe his story arc in the series will tie in with the movie. Regardless, I think I'm sufficiently intrigued to start watching the show again when season 4 launches.

I've been debating about giving up on this show But IMO Ghostrider is the most underrated super hero. I mean they all talk about saving the world but Ghostrider is the one who literally prevents hell on earth from happening. It might be odds, this show has been tagged as 'the avengers without the avengers" this will be the first actual super hero. That being said the show needs to evolve, many claim that Gotham does the "superhero show without a superhero" act better so AOS needs to remain relevant somehow. Maybe this will be the launch pad to a ghostrider show? I can understand the reluctance, ghostrider is the marvel version of Constantine and that was the first DC show to crash and burn and the movies weren't overly successful.