Gotham (Fox)

Started by BatmAngelus, Wed, 25 Sep 2013, 01:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Either the best or second best episode so far (Penguin's Umbrella is still up there for me). We really got our bang for our buck. The mob wars had a startling turning point, with Falcone and Penguin gaining ground. Just when we thought Falcone was getting milder, we see firsthand what he's capable of.

The Electrocutioner was also well done. More of a prototype to what's seen in the comics, but I like what it's building up to. I actually appreciate the down-to-earth approach to the villains here more than the Nolan universe; in the comics, Gotham only started encountering colorfully-clad super villains a bit into Batman's career. Before, it was the simple gangsters and mad scientists.

And finally, Gordon and Thompkins works. I don't know how they want the audience to feel about it, but they actually have chemistry.

Definitely, it seems that the best episodes further the Gordon vs. corrupt GCPD story and make major developments in the Gotham mob characters (and feature Zsasz), while giving us nice glimpses into future Batman villains.

As for Gordon-Thompkins, I would've liked a little more development before the kiss but yes, even against canon, I'd rather see more of them together. As I said in the influences thread, I kinda wish they had Gordon single from the beginning and Leslie as part of the show from the start.

I'd be fine with Barbara if she had more of a purpose. The scene with her parents almost seemed like it was about to reveal that she was related to someone we knew...but then it turned out, they were just the standard rich parents and the scene served no purpose to the rest of the episode's story.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Another great episode that really took things forward. I liked that Gordon's slowly no longer a misfit at the police department. A character that actually has some surprisingly depth over the series is Butch. Though by the looks of it, he's as good as gone.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/02/02/wait-so-now-the-joker-s-immortal-2651704

Scott Snyder recently revised the Joker's origins to say that he's an immortal who's been around since before Bruce was even born.

I'm curious if the Gotham version will line up with this. We're already seeing kind of a synergy of the comics and the TV shows, with the series adopting the New 52 take on the Scarecrow's father as well as the emphasis on the Dollmaker.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Wed,  4 Feb  2015, 05:58
http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/02/02/wait-so-now-the-joker-s-immortal-2651704

Scott Snyder recently revised the Joker's origins to say that he's an immortal who's been around since before Bruce was even born.

I'm curious if the Gotham version will line up with this. We're already seeing kind of a synergy of the comics and the TV shows, with the series adopting the New 52 take on the Scarecrow's father as well as the emphasis on the Dollmaker.
I'd hate the Joker to be portrayed as literally immortal.  I truly hope the show doesn't go down that overly fantastical avenue.  I don't want Nolan-style 'realism' but the Joker is already such a fascinating and exciting character; he doesn't need to be turned into a fantastical monster.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Sounds to me like they're mixing Joker and Ra's al Ghul with that.

Yeah, not really feeling that one. I always liked Joker's interesting relationship with Batman and how they can be similar and vastly different at the same time. One aspect is that both are just normal guys with no superpowers. When continuing a beloved series, writers need to understand that not everything needs to be explained. It's like how it's explained that Jason Voorhees has a special regenerative powers, when the viewer kinda already got the message that he can't die, period.

Hell, if that's actually the case for the new Joker, then I fully expect a sequel with Jack Nicholson  ;D

Anyways, we've been teased with both the Red Hood and Joker with seemingly separate announcements. I believe they said that they'd introduce Joker earlier AFTER the Red Hood announcement was made. So I think the Red Hood story will probably be in line with The Killing Joke - it's just a cover with various people taking the mantle.

Meanwhile, I have no idea how the Joker story will be factored in. It's uncontested that Batman is crucial to his origin story, so it's safe to say it'll be pre-chemical bath Jack. The series is going a little too fast with A-list villains, with them either being a lot older than usual, or having the first incarnation be a parent/older brother. Though we saw firsthand that Joker can work while being ~20 years older than Bruce, so this is one instance where I'm not too worried.

Quote from: Slash Man on Thu,  5 Feb  2015, 00:44
Yeah, not really feeling that one. I always liked Joker's interesting relationship with Batman and how they can be similar and vastly different at the same time. One aspect is that both are just normal guys with no superpowers. When continuing a beloved series, writers need to understand that not everything needs to be explained. It's like how it's explained that Jason Voorhees has a special regenerative powers, when the viewer kinda already got the message that he can't die, period.
I'm not feeling it either.

I don't know how people can attack 'Batman Returns' for being too fantastical when a mutated baby and surviving being pushed out of a window via several awnings is actually quite plausible, especially when compared to the New 52 version of the Joker.  I really hope this version doesn't cross-over to "Gotham" which has so far managed to embrace the larger-than-life quality of the Burton films without veering into overly supernatural or science-fiction territory, especially since the Joker is already such a scary, powerful character without a hokey immortality origin (in fact what makes the Joker so brilliant is that despite appearing to be, by all accounts a mortal human-being, he somehow always manages to bounce back and plague Batman (like Ledger's Joker says Batman and him "are destined to this forever").
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

There's alot I don't really 'feel' since the Nu52 reboot, and the whole immortality thing with the Joker is just on par for the course. Have to hand it to Snyder though, it's a slick way on his part of introducing a possible Joker origin without making it absolutely concrete since it's coming from a character that would be deemed a suspect source, but agree that it's pretty hokey and is more elseworldsy than something even remotely cannon. Plus, there's the whole Red Hood Gang issue since it was very much alluded that Joker was infact apart of that, pre-bleach job of course, and all in Snyder's run to boot. So whatever.

These days, a strict continuity means less and less to me, which is pretty much why I'm pretty much OK with DC's recent plan of stories not being completely adherent to a strict continuity. Nu52, and event fatigue has certainly played a part in my current opinion. Which might have been different 4-5 years ago. Plus I kinda dig those Earth One books from DC, and the Season One volumes from Marvel, so there's that too.... 

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Hands-down, the cringiest moment was on last night's episode... I honestly hope Fish survives at this point. I didn't like her much at the beginning (a good villain, though), but she's been through so much, I'm now hoping she gets away.

I liked the introduction of the Red Hood gang, very much in line with what we're used to. I believe this is the first time we've actually seen an origin behind it. I like how it's open-ended; I can easily see the mantle taking on a legendary status by the time Batman comes onto the scene.

Finally, the Barbara ordeal is pretty amusing at this point. Even I didn't predict what would happen: she finds Selina and Ivy, and finds out Jim was telling the truth, and gets mad at Jim after he moved on after she left him high and dry. Meanwhile, she's completely cool with Selina and Ivy.