Gotham (Fox)

Started by BatmAngelus, Wed, 25 Sep 2013, 01:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Baccarin as Thompkins seems to be official.  Does that mean Mekia Cox is not taking part at all?

I still like this casting.  A beautiful young Latin woman is not the obvious choice for Dr Leslie Thompkins (she won't be the typical WASP goodie), even though a black actress would have been an even more progressive choice and would make more sense in view of the name 'Thompkins', which doesn't sound very Italian (Morena Baccarin's ancestry).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I don't know how it is on American tv but here in Britain the schedules are usually total garbage. Endless Simon Cowell shows and reality programmes well into their fourteenth year. So a brand spanking new live action Batman series? Oh yes I'll have that please for the rest of that rubbish anyday!

Very much enjoying the show. It kinda bothers me how people keep discussing it's potential longevity. I couldn't give a damn myself if the show truly lasts only two seasons. The problem with that is what exactly? I live for the here and now, not ten years down the road. I don't want this thing to become a decade long Smallville. Too many things these days are planned for years on end. Let's have the days were we take things one at a time return for once.

You must excuse me. I won't be going into great depths about that article review you posted off another site. I've had my fill of geeky/whingy fan rants so much I even gave up buying expensive mags like Sci-Fi Now and SFX where it runs rampant lol

I will however cull this one quotation that the writer felt would be a better focus of the show:

"Fill the rest of the show with police business and mafia intrigue. Go into the mafia families more. Have young Jim Gordon be an optimistic cop who maybe sides with a young, hopeful politician to clean up Gotham, and have the show be about the tragedy of that politician coming to power and betraying his friend and the city and becoming corrupt".

This entire concept is my whole issue with the recent Batman films in that they stopped being BATMAN FILMS and became about corrupt old Gotham City. Instead of the glory days of cool Batmissile's blasting through narrow side streets we were treated to endless police and military procedural sequences. The inverse of Star Wars you might say which once swapped battling X-Wing fighter sequences for lengthy chit chat's in the Senate or Jedi Council!

I have totally had my fill of it all now. Let's have Batman shows and movies doing actual Batman things again. Leave the police and army guys to Michael Mann or whoever. With the Batman villains being the supporting characters of Gotham it just suddenly feels a whole lot more fun.

Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Sun, 26 Oct  2014, 21:59
You must excuse me. I won't be going into great depths about that article review you posted off another site. I've had my fill of geeky/whingy fan rants so much I even gave up buying expensive mags like Sci-Fi Now and SFX where it runs rampant lol

I will however cull this one quotation that the writer felt would be a better focus of the show:

"Fill the rest of the show with police business and mafia intrigue. Go into the mafia families more. Have young Jim Gordon be an optimistic cop who maybe sides with a young, hopeful politician to clean up Gotham, and have the show be about the tragedy of that politician coming to power and betraying his friend and the city and becoming corrupt".

This entire concept is my whole issue with the recent Batman films in that they stopped being BATMAN FILMS and became about corrupt old Gotham City. Instead of the glory days of cool Batmissile's blasting through narrow side streets we were treated to endless police and military procedural sequences. The inverse of Star Wars you might say which once swapped battling X-Wing fighter sequences for lengthy chit chat's in the Senate or Jedi Council!

I have totally had my fill of it all now. Let's have Batman shows and movies doing actual Batman things again. Leave the police and army guys to Michael Mann or whoever. With the Batman villains being the supporting characters of Gotham it just suddenly feels a whole lot more fun.

I must admit that's actually a great post C4M. Too many people are obsessed with the law and order aspect of Batman nowadays that they neglect the main character altogether. It's really odd because Batman is supposed to be the reason we watch the films in the first place.

It's a bit ironic though that Gotham doesn't have Bruce Wayne as the main character. ;) But I'll says this: even though the show's concept still doesn't intrigue me, I'd rather it focuses on the villains instead of routine political stuff like that article suggested.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Very well put,    Cobblepot4Mayor, I agree!

Thought this was awesome: Ben McKenzie dressed up as the classic Jim Gordon for Halloween. Could be the closest we ever see to him with the iconic look:
http://comicbook.com/2014/11/02/gotham-star-ben-mckenzie-was-jim-gordon----with-the-mustache-and/
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

This episode left a lot to talk about. Overall, I'm in praise (spoilers ahead).

All of the sudden, Gordon was no longer untouchable. It seemed the idealistic Gordon always found a way out of everything, but that wasn't so this time around. The second he took a bullet, I honestly wasn't sure how things were going to turn out. I mean, this episode had a few moments where the tension was real (Falcone claiming to have Barbara hostage was another).

Victor Zsasz was another great character, I'm glad they didn't jam him into an earlier episode just to have a familiar face. I even like how he had his own henchwomen, that was a nice touch.

While I've always liked the episodes of Penguin's rise to power, the only thing I had trouble buying was that Penguin fully predicted that Gordon would spare him, and that he would go on to be a snitch for Falcone while posing as a snitch for Maroni. Though I guess at this point, we sort of can see Gordon as a predictably good character. It was cool to look back at the negotiation between Maroni and Falcone with this information. Penguin was valuable to both sides, unbeknownst to Maroni. The Penguin was not in any form of danger at any point.

This was definitely the best episode yet. They dialed back on the police procedural tropes and cutesy foreshadowing and upped the character journeys and plot development. Hope it continues like this for the rest of the series.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...