Gotham (Fox)

Started by BatmAngelus, Wed, 25 Sep 2013, 01:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 30 Sep  2014, 04:31
There is a Selina Kyle featurette where the young actress playing her saying Michelle Pfeiffer is her definitive Catwoman. She's not the only one who thinks she shares a resemblance with her either.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sLG5lqzk00&feature=youtu.be&list=UU2zkeSg_I8EsNpx3nA_OYSw

But which one's which? ???

They even styled her hair like Pfeiffer's in BR. If Christian Bale is a clone of James Brolin (which he clearly is), then Bicondova is surely cloned from Pfeiffer.

I think she's doing quite a great job on the show. Looking forward to see how she finally connects (sort of) with Bruce and how important she may be to various storylines.

Two episodes later- at this point, I'm watching for Bruce, Alfred, Selina, Falcone, and Oswald Cobblepot.

My biggest issue with the show is, unfortunately, all the GCPD stuff, which have the primary stories.

Gordon is destined to fail in his mission, so his attempts/failures at always doing the right thing make him seem like he's all bark and no bite. The procedural elements don't feel fresh (there are a bunch of better mystery procedural shows right now on CBS) nor do the investigators feel very smart (Gordon and Bullock seriously didn't consider how the victims of the Balloon Man would get down?). The corruption of the city is played so on the nose, it comes across as juvenile.

And it just feels like all the GCPD character dynamics from the comics have been reduced to common TV cop tropes in this version. Gordon and Bullock are the standard "by the book cop paired with the cop who doesn't play by the rules." Gordon's relationship with Essen is now just a boss and a subordinate. Crispus Allen and Montoya might as well be interchangeable in their scenes together, as they ask tough cop questions. It's great to have the other characters realized in live action, but it feels like some depth got lost in translation.

I have faith that the show is going to course correct, much like how Arrow improved once they cut the voiceover and turned Oliver from a loner into a leader of a team (and brought Slade Wilson onto the island) and how Agents of SHIELD improved once they got HYDRA into the picture, in my opinion. But we'll just have to see.

As a side note, it feels like we've got some missed opportunities here for injecting other comic book characters that would've been more interested than what we got. For example, I would've loved it if, instead of the Balloon Man, it was The Reaper/Judson Caspian. Yes, Year Two is a controversial story and not the greatest Batman comic of all time, but it at least would've been something from the comics and they were exploring pre-Batman vigilantes anyway. His presence would make a lot more sense in this show than a bunch of the other characters. Hell, the actor was even bald like Judson Caspian.

I was also wondering if "Lazlo" the waiter was going to be the Balloon Man and that this was a precursor to Professor Pyg, since Pyg's real name is Lazlo and the Balloon Man wore that mask in the beginning (which made people think it'd be him), but alas...
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

"Gotham" debuts on British TV tonight! Yayy!

Any British posters here looking forward to it?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Latest casting reveals that Anthony Carrigan is playing Victor Zsasz and Mekia Cox is playing Leslie Thompkins.

With more comic book characters coming in, I'm still hoping the show improves, but I'm already losing interest and my friends have stopped watching.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Tue, 14 Oct  2014, 22:00
With more comic book characters coming in, I'm still hoping the show improves, but I'm already losing interest and my friends have stopped watching.

I haven't been watching the show, but a friend of mine watched the pilot and decided not to pursue the show any further. He explains that focusing on Gordon as the main character is a mistake because he can't stop the crime in Gotham if Bruce is going to become Batman in the end. He argues that no matter what happens, Gordon is destined to fail.

That was the same impression I got from this show, and it's one of the main reasons I have no interest in it. Now of course, I'll admit that the episodes have sound like they've focused (or will focus) on villains like the Penguin, but I don't know how long can the show go on for if it stays as it is if it without jumping forward years later, from season to season. That being said, if Agents of SHIELD can be renewed for at least a second season, then there's no reason why this show can't.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Latest casting reveals that Anthony Carrigan is playing Victor Zsasz and Mekia Cox is playing Leslie Thompkins.
I love this casting (good on the show-runners for casting a beautiful young black woman as Dr Leslie Thompkins - we need more positive black female role-models on screen, especially with Fish Moody representing a negative female black presence). 

And for what it's worth I'm really stoked about this show, although I do think the story, acting and art direction is far better than the direction and editing.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

The ending of tonight's episode got to me. Alfred comes into the room, finally crosses a threshold, sits across from Bruce and starts helping him. Love that Bruce has to clean up the company, and I love that Bruce is just a miniature version of who he will be. I was always saw him that way post mortem. Never liked the whining, shiftless troublemaker that has to be fathered by ninjas. Discipline was never something I pictured him needing. Only the means. I know that isn't always the populist Batman thinking, but I like it anyway.

Last night's episode was definitely the strongest yet and the one before it was an improvement, too.

I let out a "Finally!" when Viper was confirmed as a prototype for Venom (I was figuring that or Hugo Strange's Monster Men serum, but wasn't expecting them to actually confirm either way in the show) as it felt that the two previous episodes had opportunities to tie the villains into the comics but didn't.

Was amused that Falcone turns into a nervous teenage boy around a pretty face, but it adds to his character. This is probably the best take on the Gotham mob yet.

Loved that Bruce finally got out of the house for a bit and is a mini-adult. Curious if they'll bring a young Lucius Fox into this at some point.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed, 15 Oct  2014, 13:41
I love this casting (good on the show-runners for casting a beautiful young black woman as Dr Leslie Thompkins - we need more positive black female role-models on screen, especially with Fish Moody representing a negative female black presence). 

And for what it's worth I'm really stoked about this show, although I do think the story, acting and art direction is far better than the direction and editing.
Now this is strange.

Despite Cox being listed as Thompkins in the upcoming episode "Penguin's Umbrella," Morena Baccarin was just announced on Deadline as playing the same character:
http://www.ksitetv.com/gotham/gotham-spoilers-penguins-umbrella-images/43577
QuoteGuest Cast: Richard Kind as Mayor James, Drew Powell as Butch Gilzean, Anthony Carrigan as Victor Zsaszs, Mekia Cox as Dr. Leslie Thompkins, David Zayas as Maroni, Jeremy Davidson as Nikolai, Danny Mastrogiorgio and Mackenzie Leigh as Liza.

http://deadline.com/2014/10/morena-baccarin-cast-gotham-857628/
QuoteShe will play Dr. Leslie Thompkins, a gifted and dedicated physician who was a friend of Bruce Wayne's parents, Thomas and Martha. She is determined to use her skills to aid Gotham's most in need, which currently means working at the newly opened Arkham Asylum's Home for the Criminally Insane. In addition to her medical skills, her coolness under pressure will serve her well as she finds herself drawn close to James Gordon and into more and more dangerous waters.