daredevil

Started by riddler, Sat, 24 Aug 2013, 02:53

Previous topic - Next topic
I figured this may be an appropriate topic given the recent Affleck announcement;

at the time it was greenlit, marvel only had 4 modern comic films; the successful x-men and the disastrous howard the duck, nick fury, and captain america (not counting fantastic four since it was only made to retain rights). Spider-man was in production and it was given a January 2003 release date; typically the weakest month for cinematic releases.

Due to low expectations, there wasn't much interference from the studio. Director Mark Steven Johnson was given a budget and given the go ahead to make an R rated film. As filming completed, spider-man exceeded expectations heavily and daredevil was targetted as a potential cash cow; Johnson was instructed to cut the running time as well as reshoot to achieve a PG rating.

The final result was underwhelming. But a  year later, a directors cut was released and deemed much better. Plenty of people who didnt like the first film claim the directors' version is excellent. One key subplot cut from the theatrical version was a drug addict framed for murder by the kingpin. This does help tie up the plot hole about how Ben Urich and Matt Murdock discover Wilson fisk as the kingpin.

A lot of people point out how hot and cold Ben Affleck's career has been. Affleck was on fire from 1997-2002 striking gold with nearly every role after breaking out from Kevin Smith's comedies and Daze and Confused. But starting with daredevil until 2009, he was far more miss than hit. Some people believe that Affleck identified his hot start was his own doing with writing Good Will Hunting and thus Affleck once again took control of his own destiny with the town and Argo.

If you haven't seen the directors cut, you should go and find it; there is an excellent scene with Affleck where his character drives a mercedes despite being blind which shows the actors talent.

I'm definitely going to rewatch the Director's Cut, now with the new announcement.  I was starting out high school at the time and no one knew when the next Batman movie would be, so I kinda viewed the movie through that lens and enjoyed it for it was.  I saw the Director's Cut later and thought it was the superior film too.  In addition to what Riddler says, it also has a great part where Daredevil, while lying wounded next to the priest, says, "Everything I had has been taken from me. Now I'm supposed to ask for mercy. I don't ask for mercy - People ask me."
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

The Daredevil movie was poorly directed. Very little originality that ripped off the 1st Crow film.

I listened to the directors commentary a few months back and comes across as a complete twat.

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Sat, 24 Aug  2013, 09:09
The Daredevil movie was poorly directed. Very little originality that ripped off the 1st Crow film.

I listened to the directors commentary a few months back and comes across as a complete twat.
I don't feel as strongly about it as you do Ral.  The film sufficed as far as I was concerned but I do agree that Mark Steven Johnson was a very poor choice to helm the movie.  Typical cheap-skate, short-sighted Fox, always hiring non-entities, like Tim Story, to helm their comic-book properties.

Look at the people Warner Bros and Marvel Studios have hired for their more successful comic-book movies.  Burton, Nolan, Snyder, even Schumacher for Warner Bros and Joe Johnston, Kenneth Branagh, Joss Whedon (at least in terms of writing) and Shane Black for Marvel all had proven records and had displayed distinctive visions in their films before they were hired.  What did Mark Steven Johnson have?  Simon 'friggin' Birch, a literary adaptation and would-be Oscar contender with a 44% rating on Rotten Tomatoes... ::)
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I thought that Daredevil did have a redeeming character arc; that he starts off a vengeful, merciless murderer until he turns a corner and spares Kingpin so he can be arrested. That's something that a lot of people wished that happened in a Batman movie. Otherwise, the theatrical version I saw was rather ordinary. Elektra didn't really have to be in the film, and she was tossed aside too quickly, never mind her becoming a vigilante was rushed to begin with. I wonder how different the director's cut is?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 24 Aug  2013, 10:34
I thought that Daredevil did have a redeeming character arc; that he starts off a vengeful, merciless murderer until he turns a corner and spares Kingpin so he can be arrested. That's something that a lot of people wished that happened in a Batman movie. Otherwise, the theatrical version I saw was rather ordinary. Elektra didn't really have to be in the film, and she was tossed aside too quickly, never mind her becoming a vigilante was rushed to begin with. I wonder how different the director's cut is?

The directors cut actually has less of Eletkra; it has a different plot for her too; in the theatrical version Matt chooses to spend the night with Elektra over fighting crime, in the directors cut he leaves her to fight crime.

Daredevil is more of a vigilante than Batman; lawyer by day, judge, jury, and executioner by night. He even goes out and asks the priest for permission.

While I wouldnt put it as harshly as Paul did, I was going to bring up the director; the only film he's directed which sits above 6.0 on the IMDB is simon birch. He was underqualified. But those involved did say that Affleck devoted himself to that character. He comes off better in the extra scenes and does show his range.

I didn't think the theatrical cut was bad per say, rather it was more in line with how alot of Superhero films were being presented as for that point in time. It's been years since, and indeed, movies involving Superheros, especially in terms of storytelling, has, for the most part, evolved. I also have to agree with the consensus on the Director's Cut being a superior cut of the film when it was released a year or so later, though to be honest, I think I enjoyed The Men without Fear documentary (interviewing comic book artists/writers who had a impact on Daredevil in the Marvel Comics) just as much, if not more, than the actual movie.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

My problem with Affleck in Daredevil is partially how he's scripted, partially how he played it, you can guess what he's going to say before he says it (bad script), but a better actor could have masked the predictability with unique delivery(bad acting). All of this could also be dropped in the lap of Johnson as he was the director too.

Personally I think Affleck has found his niche with the gritty dramas and Oscar bait films he's been directing and should stay behind the camera.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

I have seen DD Director's Cut and I thought it was a decent comic book film, definitely not one of the worst. I thought Affleck was OK. I haven't seen The Crow so i can't comment on the similarities.

Happy 15th anniversary to Daredevil's first (and to date, only) cinematic outing.