Ben Affleck is Batman

Started by BatmAngelus, Fri, 23 Aug 2013, 01:21

Previous topic - Next topic
The same is arguably true of Val Kilmer in Batman Forever. Some of his finest scenes ended up on the cutting room floor.

Quote from: riddler on Mon, 25 Jul  2016, 15:51
I almost feel bad for Affleck. Both superhero films he did came out to mixed reviews in theatres but acclaimed directors cuts. The poor guys talents had been reserved for deleted scenes.

In terms of characters, Clark Kent gets short-changed in the theatrical cut. The Ultimate Edition fleshed out his antipathy towards Batman, and explores how he thought the police were approving Batman's ruthless methods. That explained why Clark gave Bruce that one warning after crashing the Batmobile, instead of turning him in. There's also a scene where Clark seeks wisdom from Martha after watching the divisive news coverage about Superman on TV, which was sorely needed in the theatrical cut.

From what I've seen, Affleck's performance in BvS has garnered acclaim, even from critics. I thought he was alright in Daredevil. Not as good as Charlie Cox, but alright nonetheless.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 26 Jul  2016, 12:07

From what I've seen, Affleck's performance in BvS has garnered acclaim, even from critics. I thought he was alright in Daredevil. Not as good as Charlie Cox, but alright nonetheless.

I haven't seen the ultimate edition, it'll probably be a while for me, I typically don't like seeing films within a year of seeing them in theatres, I'd rather let them sit with me.

You're right though even the critics who trashed the film admit that Affleck did well, the only ones criticizing his performance are (surprise) the Nolanites.

Daredevil the best scenes were on the cutting room floor. The best IMO was the scene in which the blind Murdock attempts to drive the corrupt cop's mercedes and the overall deleted plotline of Murdock and Nelson defending a lowlife wrongly accused of murder.

This is just glorious, and check those visuals. We haven't had a live action Batman like this before. It's basically the energetic, athletic Batman of the animated series brought to life. Grappling around the landscape like an old pro.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 12 Aug  2016, 09:21

This is just glorious, and check those visuals. We haven't had a live action Batman like this before. It's basically the energetic, athletic Batman of the animated series brought to life. Grappling around the landscape like an old pro.
One of many things to admire about this iteration of Batman.

And he later throws a lead based smoke grenade, covering his escape. Quick thinking and smarts. That's how a human being manages to stay alive against such overwhelming obstacles. Love it.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 12 Aug  2016, 09:21

Anyone else spot the Ace Chemicals factory in the background?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I want Affleck in as many films as possible. So far it seems like:

BvS
Justice League
Batman solo film
Justice League 2

He has the Suicide Squad cameo, which is very brief. And possibly something at the end of Wonder Woman.

I hope he does more, but if there's two DC films a year from now on, and Batman isn't in them, Affleck's only getting older and the opportunities become less. But who knows what the future holds. He's just too good to waste.

A site makes a few points about Batfleck going forward from Suicide Squad:

http://moviepilot.com/posts/4030213