Ben Affleck is Batman

Started by BatmAngelus, Fri, 23 Aug 2013, 01:21

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 27 Jun  2016, 13:58In what way?
It was touched upon a few posts above mine. But specifically goings on related to Clark. We know Superman is coming back. Probably soon, in fact. But Clark was not only declared dead, the mourners believed they were burying his body. Superman can come back from the dead because Superman. But how does Clark come back without giving up any pretense of a secret identity?

That's a fair point. I'm not sure how they'll bring back Clark's persona. Superman full time seems like the direction they're heading down. But we'll see.

But back to Batman - Affleck is the best as far as I am concerned. So much so, I bought a DC Collectibles statue of his Batman and a die-cast metal BvS Batmobile. Affleck is also a genuine lifelong fan. It's not essential, but I like knowing he enjoys the character and his world as much as me. It's not just PR spin.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 28 Jun  2016, 04:15But back to Batman - Affleck is the best as far as I am concerned. So much so, I bought a DC Collectibles statue of his Batman and a die-cast metal BvS Batmobile. Affleck is also a genuine lifelong fan. It's not essential, but I like knowing he enjoys the character and his world as much as me. It's not just PR spin.
What I appreciate about it all is how it so far looks like it's being geared toward an enduring franchise rather than another freaking trilogy. The Affleck version of Batman is a character with a long, dense history and what looks like a long, dense future.

I think you could do a sh*tload of things with this version of Batman, including prequels with a younger actor. So little of his backstory is really defined. You could do prequels that define his backstory, sequels starring Affleck and also team up movies. I doubt prequels will happen. But you could do it if you wanted!

I'm really not trying to beat this to death but this version of Batman has my FULL attention.

I have an idea for Batfleck's final film. Basically, have him appear in about seven or eight films if that is possible. He's already looked in for about four, including BvS. So you have him going from a dark and brutal machine who nearly kills Superman, to someone seeking out meta humans to form a crime fighting group. You see an arc develop. He seems more trusting. He seems a little lighter, even though it's still the goddamn Batman. He develops relationships with the other League members. And then the final Batfleck appearance happens, which in my mind is a Tower of Babel adaption. You see despite his character growth, and improved relations with the other heroes, he always had a deep seated apprehension about it all. A backup plan to take them all down if need be. Which brings it back to the Batman v Superman conflict, where it all originated. Superman votes Batman out of the League, and Batman goes it alone. Back to being the loner fighting his own corner. It's not exactly happy stuff, but I think it'd be bold.

I hope no superhero trilogies are ever attempted the way Nolans was. He closed the door so there's no room for a prequel or sequel for the character, the only possible hope could be an interquel between the first and second films. Had he closed the door in a way that Gotham doesn't find out Bruce is Batman, BvS would likely be set in the same universe as they clearly didn't want to bother telling much of a backstory on the character, only what the character was doing during Man of Steel.

I wouldn't be opposed to eventually retiring the character of Bruce Wayne and having Dick Grayson eventually take the cowl. That can be done here, we don't know who the dead Robin is. It's assumed there isn't a 'current' Robin but it's possible and there's no reason to believe Nightwing doesn't exist currently. Based on how Batman takes things personally with Superman in the film, it's likely he wouldn't want a sidekicks help he wanted to take down Superman one on one.

Given the technology Civil War used to de-age RDJ I don't see why we couldn't see Affleck play a younger Bruce Wayne. I think they do want to establish their JLA. I'm not sure if Affleck will still be around by then but I'd love to see his character become allies with an aged Green Arrow and clash with a cocky Green Lantern.

I think it's apparent Batfleck's old allies have grown up and gone their own way. I'm sure Grayson's Nightwing is busy in Bludhaven. I recall it being confirmed somewhere Jason Todd was the Robin that was killed. But I'm hoping he comes back as Red Hood down the line. It's a cinematic goldmine, and would strengthen that brief BvS scene.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  1 Jul  2016, 12:51
I think it's apparent Batfleck's old allies have grown up and gone their own way. I'm sure Grayson's Nightwing is busy in Bludhaven. I recall it being confirmed somewhere Jason Todd was the Robin that was killed. But I'm hoping he comes back as Red Hood down the line. It's a cinematic goldmine, and would strengthen that brief BvS scene.
I've never enjoyed the idea of bringing Jason back. For one thing, people paid real money for the character to be killed off. Their preference really should be respected.

But second, to me Jason Todd needs to be Batman's Folly. Jason treated his job like a game because on some level, Batman had begun treating it as a game. In the canon, there was a point when everybody was just doing it for laughs. It wasn't deep, dark, deadly and serious. But then one day it become deep, dark, deadly and serious. And Batman wasn't prepared for that.

Jason should be an eternal reminder to Batman of what can go wrong when you treat this enterprise like a game rather than a crusade.

One thing I want to see in solo Batfleck movies is Batman use technology to further his own myth. If he knows for a fact that on Tuesday night he'll beat the sh*t out of a bunch of mobsters or something in their hideout, he'll break into their hideout on Monday night, plant speakers around the place, hide squibs and small explosives and other crap so that when he swoops in on Tuesday night, it'll sound like his electronic voice is emanating from everywhere, stuff is blowing up at random and the criminals are basically peeing their pants.

Batman's entire existence is predicated upon making people believe he's something he's not. Everybody in Gotham thinks Bruce is a shallow, lunkheaded playboy. But we know better. The criminals in Gotham City should question if Batman is a guy in a mask, if he's a ghost, an alien, a demon, a monster or whatever else. I think Batman would put a premium on muddying the waters to enhance his reputation.

No, he can't plant crazy stuff like that everywhere he goes. But if he does it often enough, rumors about his "paranormal" abilities will circulate the Gotham underworld. The ambiguity of it will enhance his reputation and spread fear and paranoia.

That's how I've always wanted to see Batman done and I hope that's the direction Affleck goes.

Red Hood appearing is cinematic bliss because it allows Batman to confront his nightmare of failure face to face. The lasting memory of his old partner is changed and for the worse. He's not just the headstrong kid, but now the headstrong kid who hates Batman's guts and is prepared to kill him. That's an escalation which, in my mind, improves the groundwork already laid. And here's the real advantage. Todd taunts Batman about why he just doesn't kill the Joker and be done with it. In BvS, Batman went down that ruthless path and nearly lost himself to the darkness. He can express this to Todd, and also be tempted to go down that path again. But ultimately, he remains on his path of discipline.

As a fan of the Cash song and Affleck's Batman, I thought this was appropriate to post here.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

So, the great Batfleck's kill count has been compiled in a single video...

...brought to you by the same guy who compiled the last Batman kill count in live action.

According to the videos, this is the overall tally of kills per actor:

• Ben Affleck: 21
  • Michael Keaton: 20
  • Christian Bale: 15
  • Val Kilmer: 9
  • Adam West: 1
  • George Clooney: 0*

*See, BatmAngelus told you it's an awkward feeling.  :-[

Batfleck should go on another drunken tirade condemning this overblown and hypocritical fuss.

Most deadly Batman yet? Sure, but at least he's honest about it.  8)

In other news, there's a rumour suggesting the solo Bat movie will take place in Arkham Asylum. I doubt it's true, but if it were, I'd like it to be as intense and claustrophobic as Dredd 2012, another movie were the hero is trapped with his back against the wall.

Source: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/07/19/ben-afflecks-solo-batman-movie-rumored-to-be-set-in-arkham-asylum
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei