Comic Creators Comment on Batman Movies

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 16 Aug 2013, 19:25

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 28 Apr  2016, 10:47
Yes, however even if a Burton fan, for example, is willing to give the Nolan films a chance, they're not going to warm to them as readily if they're shouted down and mocked by the other side.
I agree with this.

I like the Nolan films a great deal but I instinctively turned against them a little when some Nolan-fans started acting as if Nolan's Batman was the 'one and only' Batman and that Burton's (IMHO equally valid) interpretation was vastly inferior.  As a huge fan of the Burton Batman films it really rubbed me the wrong way and caused me to feel a lot more defensive with respect to Batman '89 and Batman Returns, whilst also occasionally feeling more inclined to pick holes at TDK trilogy despite my overall regard for it.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 28 Apr  2016, 10:47Yes, however even if a Burton fan, for example, is willing to give the Nolan films a chance, they're not going to warm to them as readily if they're shouted down and mocked by the other side.
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 28 Apr  2016, 12:50I agree with this.

I like the Nolan films a great deal but I instinctively turned against them a little when some Nolan-fans started acting as if Nolan's Batman was the 'one and only' Batman and that Burton's (IMHO equally valid) interpretation was vastly inferior.  As a huge fan of the Burton Batman films it really rubbed me the wrong way and caused me to feel a lot more defensive with respect to Batman '89 and Batman Returns, whilst also occasionally feeling more inclined to pick holes at TDK trilogy despite my overall regard for it.
Ya'll choose how you react. If you allow the feelings of others to turn you away from something, it's not the fault of them. Have a very great day everyone!

God bless you both! God bless everyone!

Quote from: Dagenspear on Fri, 29 Apr  2016, 03:08Ya'll choose how you react. If you allow the feelings of others to turn you away from something, it's not the fault of them. Have a very great day everyone!

God bless you both! God bless everyone!
Our tastes and personal responses to art our shaped by our experiences and responses to external factors.  That applies whoever we are.

I still have very high regard TDK trilogy but the sniffy way in which some of the trilogy's fans have acted towards the Burton films, caused me to subconsciously reassess Nolan's movies, partly because they often fall short of the same tough and unreasonable standards the Burton films are held to.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Fri, 29 Apr  2016, 06:33Our tastes and personal responses to art our shaped by our experiences and responses to external factors.  That applies whoever we are.

I still have very high regard TDK trilogy but the sniffy way in which some of the trilogy's fans have acted towards the Burton films, caused me to subconsciously reassess Nolan's movies, partly because they often fall short of the same tough and unreasonable standards the Burton films are held to.
I'm sorry, but no. People have a choice. Our tastes and responses are only shaped if we allow them to be, especially as adults. Nothing we do is anyone's fault but our own. Anything else is us shirking responsibility for our decisions. Have a very great day!

God bless you! God bless everyone!

Sun, 1 May 2016, 00:28 #114 Last Edit: Sun, 1 May 2016, 02:01 by BatmAngelus
Ty Templeton

Batman V Superman
https://tytempletonart.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/batman-v-superman-web.jpg?w=500&h=768

Wonder Woman is cool.  She's the only thing in the movie that makes you smile, or sit up, or discover yourself enjoying something.  I will greatly look forward to the Wonder Woman movie if it's anything like the twenty-three seconds of air-time she gets in this one.

It might have been a stronger movie if they hadn't dedicated so much of the film to advertising their next six movies and instead spent time building the characters, motivations and relationships of THIS one.

Sigh.

I miss the cinematic triumphs of Green Lantern and Jonah Hex.

https://tytempletonart.wordpress.com/2016/03/26/bun-toon-v-hollywood-darn-the-justice/

EDIT
The Dark Knight Rises
https://tytempletonart.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/dark-knight-rises-websize.jpg

Considering that DARK KNIGHT is one of my favorite movies ever, and Batman is one of my favorite characters ever, and that Inception was, like, an amazing movie, my level of disappointment with this bloated, pretentious, wrong-headed car wreck of a film is a heavy burden.

Please, if you enjoyed this movie, don't send me hate mail.  You'll never change my mind.
https://tytempletonart.wordpress.com/2012/07/28/dark-knight-rising-in-four-panels/
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Dedicating so much of the film to advertising their next six movies?

So much of the film?

This has got to one of the silliest myths of BvS. We get a set of USB videos which last maybe a minute or more, the sheer presence of Wonder Woman appearing a few times and that's about it. Hyperbole is the norm when it comes to describing this film. The seeds of the JL are there, but that's all they are. Seeds. They weren't strands tangling up the core conflict at the heart of the story, which was Superman's influence on the world and how Batman in particular reacted to it. The Knightmare will probably have a big part to play in the future, but right now, it fed into Bruce's paranoia about Superman. And given it's also Batman v Supermen related, it's on topic and on theme.

Not a comic creator as such, but here's an enlightening quote from Zack Snyder about how he would've made Batman Begins darker back in 2008:

QuoteEveryone says that about [Christopher Nolan's] Batman Begins. "Batman's dark." I'm like, okay, "No, Batman's cool." He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn't, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that's how that would go.
http://www.ew.com/article/2008/07/17/watchmen-chat-director-zack-snyder/2

Sort of reminds me of that old The Death of Batman fan film from a few years back...

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon,  2 May  2016, 16:45
But he doesn't, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that's how that would go.
::)  Oh dear...*sigh*

Zack Snyder does say some pretty f***ing stupid things a lot of the time, but at least unlike Nolan, he doesn't make lame cop-outs like acknowledging the hero breaking his moral code more than once, which totally undermines the moral conflict against his worst enemy in the middle of a trilogy...while trying to dodge the discrepancy at the same time.  :-[
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue,  3 May  2016, 10:39Zack Snyder does say some pretty f***ing stupid things a lot of the time, but at least unlike Nolan, he doesn't make lame cop-outs like acknowledging the hero breaking his moral code more than once, which totally undermines the moral conflict against his worst enemy in the middle of a trilogy...while trying to dodge the discrepancy at the same time.  :
How is acknowledging something you think that you did a cop out? Particularly when he didn't break it in the first one and the second was the whole point that he broke it, and none of that undermines the conflict, because he was never put in the same situation with his big enemy. There's no dodging involved. But there was no reason to even bring that up. Have a very great day!

God bless you! God bless your family and everyone else in your life! God bless everyone!