More defense of Schumacher's films (video)

Started by DocLathropBrown, Sun, 4 Aug 2013, 22:00

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Sun,  4 Aug  2013, 22:00
This is becoming a movement....!

Warning for language.

Also, another guy's defense (in two parts) for those who haven't seen them (again warning for language, I think):

I'm watching the second half of the YouTube video again and I'm curious about the criticism regarding the lack of a balanced tone in the Schumacher films.

On one hand, the host praises the goofy tone as a tribute to the Adam West show. But on the other hand, he criticises the more serious moments i.e. Riddler stalking and obsessing over Bruce, Mr. Freeze trying to revive his cryogenic frozen wife, and claims the producers wanted the films to be both dark and funny. Which it can't be possible, according to the host.

I don't necessarily agree with that. I still believe the humour in BF and B&R leaves a lot to be desired at times, but I don't think shifting the tone from goofy to serious is wrong in principle. After all, Iron Man 3, Civil War and Guardians of the Galaxy can get away with it. In fact, even the Burton films shifted the tone with comedy and drama, albeit the humour was much darker.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 18 Sep  2016, 10:12On one hand, the host praises the goofy tone as a tribute to the Adam West show. But on the other hand, he criticises the more serious moments i.e. Riddler stalking and obsessing over Bruce, Mr. Freeze trying to revive his cryogenic frozen wife, and claims the producers wanted the films to be both dark and funny. Which it can't be possible, according to the host.

I don't necessarily agree with that. I still believe the humour in BF and B&R leaves a lot to be desired at times, but I don't think shifting the tone from goofy to serious is wrong in principle. After all, Iron Man 3, Civil War and Guardians of the Galaxy can get away with it. In fact, even the Burton films shifted the tone with comedy and drama, albeit the humour was much darker.
If Pixar made shot-for-shot remakes of the Schumacher films without changing a thing, people would love and cheer for them. The darkness of those movies doesn't overwhelm the fun or humor. Those movies are fairly Pixar'ish already. They're aging remarkably well; far better than I ever would've anticipated.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 18 Sep  2016, 16:48If Pixar made shot-for-shot remakes of the Schumacher films without changing a thing, people would love and cheer for them. The darkness of those movies doesn't overwhelm the fun or humor. Those movies are fairly Pixar'ish already. They're aging remarkably well; far better than I ever would've anticipated.

The Schumacher films do appear to be aging better than many might have expected. I think allot of it has to do with the simple fact that Schumacher stayed focus on the idea he was making a comic book. Now while that seems to insult the fragile sensibilities of some fans, I think it was a long overdue approach. If you look at the comics, Batman dwells in a rather colorful world of heroes and villains and no where is this better illustrated than in the Schumacher films. I think that is a big reason why those films get rediscovered by each new generation because it's the only treatment that really considers the kids (which is not a bad thing).

Quote from: Wayne49 on Wed, 21 Sep  2016, 11:16I think that is a big reason why those films get rediscovered by each new generation because it's the only treatment that really considers the kids (which is not a bad thing).
Agreed. I was 14 years old when BF came out and I was enthralled with the visuals of it. But also Schumacher made being Batman seem kinda cool. Yeah, there's the psychological torment he went through in that movie but when you move away from that stuff, the Cool Factor of being Batman is there... and it's somewhat absent from the Burton films, tbh. Yeah, Burton made some very sophisticated films and I'd never say otherwise. But I can't ever remember watching B89 or BR and thinking "Man, it'd be COOL to be Batman".

But dammit all, I DID with BF. He had the car, the gadgets, the suit, the castle, the cave, the butler, the wealth, obviously he was Building the Beast with Two Backs with Nicole freaking Kidman and there's a lot of there to be in awe of.

I suspect I might've loved B&R upon its release had I been younger when it came out. But at 16... well, you know how it is. But I know a little kid who loves the crap out of B&R, it's her favorite Batman movie... probably because she's big on Batgirl and Poison Ivy. So there's something to it.

I don't mind a Batman that maybe isn't kid-friendly... but some child-accessible iteration of the character should always be available for the kids to latch onto so that Batman can mature right along with them.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 22 Sep  2016, 03:24
I was 14 years old when BF came out and I was enthralled with the visuals of it. But also Schumacher made being Batman seem kinda cool. Yeah, there's the psychological torment he went through in that movie but when you move away from that stuff, the Cool Factor of being Batman is there... and it's somewhat absent from the Burton films, tbh. Yeah, Burton made some very sophisticated films and I'd never say otherwise. But I can't ever remember watching B89 or BR and thinking "Man, it'd be COOL to be Batman".

I always thought the mysterious story behind Batman's past and how he is this loner billionaire attracted this hot blonde in B89 made me think how cool he was when I was a kid. But BR was way too tragic, and me think "you know what, maybe someone like this existing in real life wouldn't be such a good idea after all".
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Sat, 24 Sep 2016, 08:49 #55 Last Edit: Sat, 24 Sep 2016, 08:53 by The Dark Knight
Leadership can be a burden. Bruce basically says so himself. He's driven to live this life "because nobody else can." He knows what has to be done, and sitting on the sidelines watching Gotham go to the dogs just isn't an option anymore.

So he acts. He has a cool car, a cool set of gadgets and a mansion. But he's alone. He's not the life of the party. Basically every waking minute of his life is focused on the mission. Being Batman is both a torment and a necessity.

Kilmer is an evolution of Keaton. The character came out of the shadows and became more of a superhero. He was still a haunted personality, but he worked his way through those demons.

He still has the cool car and the cool gadgets, but he's more of a balanced guy at peace with the life he's chosen. The abnormal is now completely normal. He's also willing to fight crime with a partner - Robin and eventually Batgirl.

Yes. Whether I like them or not, I can't deny that the Schumacher films gave a fitting conclusion to what Burton had started.

Thu, 29 Sep 2016, 06:40 #57 Last Edit: Thu, 29 Sep 2016, 06:42 by Azrael
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 22 Sep  2016, 03:24
I was 14 years old when BF came out and I was enthralled with the visuals of it. But also Schumacher made being Batman seem kinda cool. Yeah, there's the psychological torment he went through in that movie but when you move away from that stuff, the Cool Factor of being Batman is there...and it's somewhat absent from the Burton films, tbh. Yeah, Burton made some very sophisticated films and I'd never say otherwise. But I can't ever remember watching B89 or BR and thinking "Man, it'd be COOL to be Batman".

I was slightly younger when it came out, and still felt it was underwhelming. Nowadays I like and enjoy the Schumacher films, but back then BF felt like the movie equivalent of your favourite metal band putting out a soft rock album. For some people, darkness is where it's at with Batman. The light versions are ok and cool and fun (love Brave and the Bold, or the Lego Batman games), but not the "main" thing.

QuoteI can't ever remember watching B89 or BR and thinking "Man, it'd be COOL to be Batman".

Disagree, especially about Returns. The city is less of "urban decay" (like Frank Miller's Batman, Year One or TDKR) or "real world" (like Nolan's films are supposed to be) but a Gothic fun park with Batman as its all powerful living gargoyle. This is something that captures the imagination of certain kids.

Quote from: Azrael on Thu, 29 Sep  2016, 06:40
I was slightly younger when it came out, and still felt it was underwhelming. Nowadays I like and enjoy the Schumacher films, but back then BF felt like the movie equivalent of your favourite metal band putting out a soft rock album.

That's what most metalheads must've felt when Metallica became "Alternica" back in the 90s.

I quite like BF. I would like it even more if they released an ultimate cut. However with that said, I think it's way past time Batman fans accepted and enjoyed the Schumacher films for what they are. 'Burtoning them up' is now way past the point.