Flash (CW)

Started by BatmAngelus, Wed, 31 Jul 2013, 02:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Going off a conversation me and Silver Nemesis had about the upcoming Flash show, it was definitely a sigh of relief (atleast for me, but I think the same for SN) when the Pre-Crisis/Post-Crisis-Pre-New52 Reverse Flash look made it's appearance in the extended trailer.  ;D

Considering that the New52 universe, along with it's sketchy choice of costume changes/updates (or change of identity in some cases like our pal here Eobard Thawne) have already been acknowledged and implemented in the animated movie features, it was indeed great to know that "Eddie" Thawne (not the New52's Daniel West Reverse Flash) is being incorporated, and something much more traditional being conceded when it comes to the Reverse Flash costume itself. 

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

QuoteTHE FLASH: AMANDA PAYS REPRISING HER ROLE AS DR. TINA MCGEE

CW's The Flash is turning out to be quite a reunion for the cast of CBS's The Flash from 1990 -- with Amanda Pays now having signed on to reprise her role as Dr. Tina McGee, the character she played on the original, live-action TV series.

According to Variety, Pays joins John Wesley Shipp as the second 1990 Flash TV series star to return for the 2014 version. While Shipp will be playing a different character -- Barry Allen's father -- Pays will portray Dr. McGee once more.

Source:http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/09/15/the-flash-amanda-pays-reprising-her-role-as-dr-tina-mcgee

It's becoming a Flash 1990 TV reunion.  8)
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Joker on Mon, 15 Sep  2014, 22:41

Going off a conversation me and Silver Nemesis had about the upcoming Flash show, it was definitely a sigh of relief (atleast for me, but I think the same for SN) when the Pre-Crisis/Post-Crisis-Pre-New52 Reverse Flash look made it's appearance in the extended trailer.  ;D

Considering that the New52 universe, along with it's sketchy choice of costume changes/updates (or change of identity in some cases like our pal here Eobard Thawne) have already been acknowledged and implemented in the animated movie features, it was indeed great to know that "Eddie" Thawne (not the New52's Daniel West Reverse Flash) is being incorporated, and something much more traditional being conceded when it comes to the Reverse Flash costume itself.

Excellent GIF! ;D

I can't wait to get a clearer look at the Reverse Flash costume. But based on that clip, it's definitely the classic pre-Flashpoint outfit. And thank goodness for that.

Weather Wizard, Captain Cold, Heat Wave and Girder have all been confirmed to appear too. Do you think any of them will sport their outfits from the comics? And if so, will they opt for the classic costumes or the New 52 versions? In light of our discussion about Captain Cold, I think it's fair to say we're both hoping for the old-school look.

Still no word on whether Grodd will make an appearance. He was mentioned in the nineties TV show, but never actually appeared. Will he show up in the new show?

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 16 Sep  2014, 12:55Pays will portray Dr. McGee once more.

It's great that she's going to appear in the new series, but I never would have guessed she'd be playing Tina again, over twenty years after she last played her! Besides Judi Dench as M, this may be the only time an actor has played the same character in a reboot as they did in the original version.

Then again, Mark Hamill did reprise his role as the Trickster in the DC animated universe. But I'm not sure that counts.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 16 Sep  2014, 13:38
Excellent GIF! ;D

I can't wait to get a clearer look at the Reverse Flash costume. But based on that clip, it's definitely the classic pre-Flashpoint outfit. And thank goodness for that.

Indeed!

What is your opinion on the Daniel West Reverse-Flash, Silver Nemesis? I know little of the actual character himself, but I hate to be so harsh right off the bat, and I think I may have mentioned this during one of our chats, but the New52 Reverse-Flash having such a dramatic overhaul in the change of costume really reminds me of the incredibly gimmicky (and bubbly) '90's, where there were alot, and I mean ALOT of unnecessary costume changes/updates on both sides of the fence. Heroes and Villains. To me, the reversed colors of the costume for the Reverse-Flash is pretty iconic .....

How would you say Daniel compares to Eobard in the villainy department?

QuoteWeather Wizard, Captain Cold, Heat Wave and Girder have all been confirmed to appear too. Do you think any of them will sport their outfits from the comics? And if so, will they opt for the classic costumes or the New 52 versions? In light of our discussion about Captain Cold, I think it's fair to say we're both hoping for the old-school look.

Interesting question. I could see Pre-New52 Heat Wave being translated without becoming unrecognizable (Deathstroke on Arrow), but not sure about the other two. Most definitely agree on Captain Cold. Watched a recent video on Youtube that featured a quick interview with Geoff Johns, and which resulted in him wanting to show off his new SKateboard and 'lo and behold, it has the likeness of the Pre-New52 Captain Cold. As Johns has made no bones about him being a personal favorite.

QuoteStill no word on whether Grodd will make an appearance. He was mentioned in the nineties TV show, but never actually appeared. Will he show up in the new show?

Let's hope so. So much potential there!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 17 Sep  2014, 15:26How would you say Daniel compares to Eobard in the villainy department?

Like you, I take a pretty dim view of the New 52 Reverse-Flash. I think a decent analogy would be Ignatius Ogilvy/Emperor Penguin, another New 52 upstart who's usurped the role of a classic villain. In both cases I think the newer characters allow the writers to go places they perhaps couldn't go with the original versions. I suppose they also have to be careful not to overuse a character as powerful and dangerous as Eobard Thawne, so by creating a new version they can give the original a bit of a rest. But I'm sure Thawne will return eventually and reclaim his mantle. Daniel West's days are numbered.

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 17 Sep  2014, 15:26Interesting question. I could see Pre-New52 Heat Wave being translated without becoming unrecognizable (Deathstroke on Arrow), but not sure about the other two. Most definitely agree on Captain Cold. Watched a recent video on Youtube that featured a quick interview with Geoff Johns, and which resulted in him wanting to show off his new SKateboard and 'lo and behold, it has the likeness of the Pre-New52 Captain Cold. As Johns has made no bones about him being a personal favorite.

That's very encouraging. :) I love the traditional Captain Cold outfit. It's so simple, yet indelibly classic at the same time. It's also tailor made for a CW show, what with their predilection for replacing outlandish costumes with hoodies. We only got a glimpse of Captain Cold in Smallville, but I really liked the look of his costume there.

Hopefully the new version will sport a similar look. I think  the new series could do a better job with Captain Cold than the nineties show did. The 'Captain Cold' episode in the old series was great, but the characterisation of Snart wasn't that close to the comics. I reckon the new show could surpass it.

Speaking of villains, it's just been announced that Captain Boomerang will be appearing in Arrow, played by Nick Tarabay. I have to ask, does Green Arrow actually have any villains of his own on that show, or are they all borrowed from Batman and the Flash's galleries of rogues?

I just saw the first episode.

Overall it was an enjoyable setup, in case you didn't know JWS plays Henry Allen. There is a cameo from Stephen Amell. I'd say the tone is a shade lighter than Arrow, slightly more humour.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 17 Sep  2014, 21:16
Like you, I take a pretty dim view of the New 52 Reverse-Flash. I think a decent analogy would be Ignatius Ogilvy/Emperor Penguin, another New 52 upstart who's usurped the role of a classic villain. In both cases I think the newer characters allow the writers to go places they perhaps couldn't go with the original versions. I suppose they also have to be careful not to overuse a character as powerful and dangerous as Eobard Thawne, so by creating a new version they can give the original a bit of a rest. But I'm sure Thawne will return eventually and reclaim his mantle. Daniel West's days are numbered.

You know, given the Crisis talk, and how next year is going to bring about the "Band-Aid project" along with it coinciding with the 30th anniversary of COIE, I wonder if Eobard might be making an appearance at this point? Given his role in setting up the New52, and the "Love Letter" evidently acknowledging the Pre-New52 Universe, Thawne showing up and getting a full perspective of what he had a hand in doing could be interesting. I could easily see him taunting Batman about the Thomas Wayne Flashpoint Batman, since I think Bruce has a written letter from Thomas that survived into the New52 Universe. Course we know what happened with Thomas taking out Eobard, but if Eobard survived, and with Bruce having no recollection of the Flashpoint time stream, Eobard could paint that picture any way he wants.  ;)

That's very encouraging. :) I love the traditional Captain Cold outfit. It's so simple, yet indelibly classic at the same time. It's also tailor made for a CW show, what with their predilection for replacing outlandish costumes with hoodies. We only got a glimpse of Captain Cold in Smallville, but I really liked the look of his costume there.

Hopefully the new version will sport a similar look. I think  the new series could do a better job with Captain Cold than the nineties show did. The 'Captain Cold' episode in the old series was great, but the characterisation of Snart wasn't that close to the comics. I reckon the new show could surpass it.

I agree. I didn't care too much for the Villains United makeover Capt. Cold got from the "Underworld Unleashed" event during the mid-late 1990's, nor was I a fan of the sleeveless/gunless New52 makeover as well. If it's not broke, there's no need to fix it. and sometimes it's not about what you can get rid of, it's about what you can keep!

What was the scenario with Capt. Cold getting a very quick cameo in Smallville?

I actually have the Smallville box set, but have, so far, only watched Season 1.  :-[

QuoteSpeaking of villains, it's just been announced that Captain Boomerang will be appearing in Arrow, played by Nick Tarabay. I have to ask, does Green Arrow actually have any villains of his own on that show, or are they all borrowed from Batman and the Flash's galleries of rogues?

Ha!

That's true, definitely seems to be alot of borrowing with villains on Arrow. Wouldn't be surprised to see Catman show up at some point. Though I did like his appearances in the Green Arrow comics from the late 90's/early 2000's, but this was when he was still in loser-mode, and prior to his badass-revamp in Gail Simone's "Villains United" mini-series.

Truth be told, that was about the only times I would really read Green Arrow; If there was some villain outside whatever rogues gallery he has (or lack thereof) showing up. The Riddler was another who had a running arc in GA in or around the time of the Catman appearances.

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 18 Sep  2014, 23:44

You know, given the Crisis talk, and how next year is going to bring about the "Band-Aid project" along with it coinciding with the 30th anniversary of COIE, I wonder if Eobard might be making an appearance at this point? Given his role in setting up the New52, and the "Love Letter" evidently acknowledging the Pre-New52 Universe, Thawne showing up and getting a full perspective of what he had a hand in doing could be interesting. I could easily see him taunting Batman about the Thomas Wayne Flashpoint Batman, since I think Bruce has a written letter from Thomas that survived into the New52 Universe. Course we know what happened with Thomas taking out Eobard, but if Eobard survived, and with Bruce having no recollection of the Flashpoint time stream, Eobard could paint that picture any way he wants.  ;)

You're right. That is one of my favourite JLA stories. I'd love to see it adapted into live action although it may not be feasible given the fact that it features an alternate JLA. Geoff Johns did contribute to the flashpoint plotline so he may eventually bring it in the show although I think they'll want to start relatively grounded.

I wonder if Thawne will return during this mysterious "Band-Aid" event. He and Barry have been tied to several major milestone events in the history of the DCU.

•   Beginning of the Silver Age – Barry's debut
•   Crisis on Infinite Earths – Barry dies
•   Final Crisis – Barry returns
•   Flashpoint – Thawne dies, Barry effectively "reboots" the DCU

The "Band-Aid" storyline would seem like a perfect juncture for the real Zoom to return.

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 18 Sep  2014, 23:44I agree. I didn't care too much for the Villains United makeover Capt. Cold got from the "Underworld Unleashed" event during the mid-late 1990's, nor was I a fan of the sleeveless/gunless New52 makeover as well. If it's not broke, there's no need to fix it. and sometimes it's not about what you can get rid of, it's about what you can keep!

Well said. Let's hope Geoff Johns is on our wavelength.

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 18 Sep  2014, 23:44What was the scenario with Capt. Cold getting a very quick cameo in Smallville?

I actually have the Smallville box set, but have, so far, only watched Season 1.  :-[

I never followed Smallville too closely, so I'm not sure if Cold appeared in any other episodes. But he does make a very brief appearance at the end of the season 10 episode 'Prophecy', where Toyman addresses an assembly of Legion of Doom members.

Amongst the other characters present in the scene are Solomon Grundy, Metallo, Dark Archer, Roulette and Black Manta. And they all look fairy accurate to their comic versions.

Truth be told, that was about the only times I would really read Green Arrow; If there was some villain outside whatever rogues gallery he has (or lack thereof) showing up. The Riddler was another who had a running arc in GA in or around the time of the Catman appearances.

If he was portrayed accurate to the comics, then I'd love to see Catman make an appearance. I don't suppose they'll be allowed to use the Riddler though. Not if he's going to appear in Gotham. That raises an interesting question about whether the CW will be allowed to continue using Batman villains so frequently now that there's a new Batman TV show on a rival network.

Quote from: riddler on Fri, 19 Sep  2014, 00:34Geoff Johns did contribute to the flashpoint plotline so he may eventually bring it in the show although I think they'll want to start relatively grounded.

It could happen. The show's clearly taking a lot of cues from Johns' The Flash: Rebirth, which segues very neatly into the events of Flashpoint. Obviously they can't do a full adaptation of Flashpoint, but they could do a smaller scale variation of it, with Green Arrow standing in for Batman. Then again, they could always wait until they've established more heroes in their DC TV universe and then do Flashpoint as a crossover miniseries, sort of like Marvel's planning to do with The Defenders.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 20 Sep  2014, 16:11
I wonder if Thawne will return during this mysterious "Band-Aid" event. He and Barry have been tied to several major milestone events in the history of the DCU.

•   Beginning of the Silver Age – Barry's debut
•   Crisis on Infinite Earths – Barry dies
•   Final Crisis – Barry returns
•   Flashpoint – Thawne dies, Barry effectively "reboots" the DCU

The "Band-Aid" storyline would seem like a perfect juncture for the real Zoom to return.

Would make complete sense, and what a welcome return that would be.  ;)

Having been doing some research, what is your opinion on Hunter Zolomon Zoom from Geoff Johns run on Flash, Silver Nemesis? It appears he was fairly well liked, and from what I can tell, CW is borrowing his back story a bit for "Eddie" Thawne with the whole concept of Thawne working for the police dept...

QuoteI never followed Smallville too closely, so I'm not sure if Cold appeared in any other episodes. But he does make a very brief appearance at the end of the season 10 episode 'Prophecy', where Toyman addresses an assembly of Legion of Doom members.

Amongst the other characters present in the scene are Solomon Grundy, Metallo, Dark Archer, Roulette and Black Manta. And they all look fairy accurate to their comic versions.

Ah, very cool. Thank you for the info!

If he was portrayed accurate to the comics, then I'd love to see Catman make an appearance. I don't suppose they'll be allowed to use the Riddler though. Not if he's going to appear in Gotham. That raises an interesting question about whether the CW will be allowed to continue using Batman villains so frequently now that there's a new Batman TV show on a rival network.

True. If DC/WB/Fox are still going to be OK with Arrow continually borrowing villains from other character's rogues gallery, I suppose they could implement a mandate that requires said villains to be perceptibly differentiated to where, let's say, the Riddler on Gotham, would certainly not be confused with a Riddler appearing on Arrow. Which could be one way to ease in the DCU Multiverse concept if they so chose to.