X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 25 May 2013, 06:59

Previous topic - Next topic
My enthusiasm for this X-Men has unfortunately dipped because I was under the impression they were mixing the two different casts together in one giant story. It merely seems all we'll have is Wolverine meeting the "First Class" boys. He can be a greatly overused character in the film series. The Animated series allowed things to "breathe" by taking him out sometimes. Halle Berry is reportedly only a small role due to her pregnancy. Anna Paquin as Rogue has been totally cut out already. E.c.t. Sounds very disappointing.

Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Sat, 15 Mar  2014, 12:51
My enthusiasm for this X-Men has unfortunately dipped because I was under the impression they were mixing the two different casts together in one giant story. It merely seems all we'll have is Wolverine meeting the "First Class" boys. He can be a greatly overused character in the film series. The Animated series allowed things to "breathe" by taking him out sometimes. Halle Berry is reportedly only a small role due to her pregnancy. Anna Paquin as Rogue has been totally cut out already. E.c.t. Sounds very disappointing.
Wolverine's exposure has always been one of my central issues with the franchise too.  It's the 'X-Men' not 'Wolverine' (he already has his own movies).  In fact, my favourite Wolverine scene in the entire series is his 30 second cameo in 'First Class' where he tells Professor X and Magneto where to 'go f*** yourself'.  ;D

It's a shame that Bryan Singer is so overly-earnest and dour that he probably won't allow his 'X-Men' films any such moments of levity.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Second trailer has now been released.

This trailer is a little better than the first one, but not as extraordinary like some people are making it out to be online. Notice how there's a rotating shot similar to the Avengers?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

A third and film trailer has been released.

Why is Xavier walking? Does he have robotic prosthetics or something?

At least this trailer gives me an impression that the film won't take itself too seriously.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Oh crap, Bryan Singer is facing teen sexual abuse allegations. The details of these accusations are rather graphic, so beware.

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/x-men-director-bryan-singer-accused-sexually-abusing-15-year-old-boy-article-1.1759389

Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 16:08 #45 Last Edit: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 16:11 by Gotham Knight
My eye balls are stilling rolling around the keyboard. Could be just a scam for money, but Singer does have a rep for being fairly promiscuous, so it does make him an easy target. Honestly, I don't completely buy it.

I wouldn't be surprised, put it that way.

But, innocent until proven guilty.

Thu, 24 Apr 2014, 18:12 #47 Last Edit: Thu, 24 Apr 2014, 18:14 by Gotham Knight
I'm reading now that Egan's case, against Singer anyway, is taking blows. From what I'm reading, it seems the production schedule for the original X-Men, along with credit card receipts and '100 witnesses,' (production crew?) are being referenced as an alibi. Cue a shrug. Who knows?

It is my understanding that this case was filed before in 2000 against three others, but Singer wasn't named then. Cue another shrug.

I guess if nothing else it'll amount to some decent conspiracy theories.

Michael Singer's (Bryan Singer's Lawyer) statement: The minute I learned of Michael Egan's allegations I thought they were fabricated because I knew that Bryan was shooting a movie out of the country during the period of time alleged in the complaint," said attorney Martin Singer (no relation to the director) in a statement. "Then, over the next 48 hours, we received from Bryan's business manager documentary evidence in the form of credit card receipts, phone records and the production schedule confirming that Bryan was not in Hawaii as alleged. Now, based on concrete and indisputable evidence, we will prove that Egan's claims about Bryan are entirely made up."

X-Men Days Of Future Past: Bryan Singer Hopes Fans Will Forget About The Continuity Errors

The X-Men film franchise has generally been well received by fans, but has become more and more plagued with continuity errors since beginning to jump around the timeline. In X-Men, Xavier says that he and Magneto built Cerebro, but in X-Men: First Class Beast has built the machine before they ever show up. Emma Frost is introduced as a teenager in ­X-Men: Origins Wolverine, and then again as a young woman in X-Men: First Class. In X-Men: The Last Stand, Moira MacTaggert is a middle-aged medical scientist, but in First Class she's a young CIA agent.

Is there a solution for these inconsistencies? Director Bryan Singer is hoping people will just forget about them.

"Some things you let go," Singer tells SciFi Now. "In X-Men 3 Bolivar Trask was an African-American guy, in X-Men 1 I personally wrote the line that of course I now regret: 'When I was 17, I met a young man named Erik Lensherr' and then in X-Men: First Class I changed that! Some of these I hope the audience will forget about but for the bulk of it I pay attention to the universe."

While most of largest inconsistencies seem to come from the films that were handled by Brett Ratner after Singer left the franchise for a time, Singer does say that those films still count for something.

"Not just X-Men 1 and 2," he said, "but also X-Men 3 – I was thrilled to have [Kitty Pryde star] Ellen Page in the movie as character – and even The Wolverine, I try to look at all those."

Of course, with the time-travel shenanigans going on in X-Men: Days of Future Past, there's also the possibility of some retroactive continuity being added to iron certain things out.

In X-Men: Days of Future Past, the X-Men send Wolverine to the past in a desperate effort to change history and prevent an event that results in doom for both humans and mutants.

X-Men: Days of Future Past comes to theaters May 23.

Source: http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/05/15/x-men-days-of-future-past-bryan-singer-hopes-fans-will-forget-about-the-continuity-errors/

This goes to show that Singer doesn't give a damn about consistency or even plot cohesion in his movies. We might as well stop paying attention to the story altogether. If film directors like Singer don't care about the plot of their own movies, why should I be encouraged to go see them? "Let go of narrative inconsistencies"? Give me a break! ::)

REBOOT!!!!
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.