Independence Day 2 & 3

Started by Grissom, Wed, 27 Mar 2013, 15:48

Previous topic - Next topic
http://collider.com/independence-day-2-3-sequels-roland-emmerich/

I really enjoy the original, in fact it's an all-time favorite of mine. They have to get the story right to go ahead with sequels, if not scrap it!

The sequels are not gonna focus on Smith's character therefore I'm not interested in them.
"Bats frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread."

Quote from: Batman88 on Thu, 28 Mar  2013, 13:09
The sequels are not gonna focus on Smith's character therefore I'm not interested in them.
Aman brother  8)
You ether die a trilogy or live long enough to see yourself become batman & robin

Will Smith definitely had charisma in the film but I see it as an ensemble cast, everyone had their own worthwhile stories.

Quote from: Batman88 on Thu, 28 Mar  2013, 13:09The sequels are not gonna focus on Smith's character therefore I'm not interested in them.
Is Smith even going to be in it? Maybe the original was an ensemble piece (although I note Smith got top billing) but I always viewed it as a Smith vehicle. If he doesn't have comparable screen time for the sequels, I'd just as soon not bother.

So Jeff Goldblum is confirmed and also Vivica A. Fox. At least we'll get some of the original cast. Still not sure about this but I'm hoping for the best as the original film is one of my all-time favorite.

Quote from: Grissom on Mon, 30 Mar  2015, 21:46
So Jeff Goldblum is confirmed and also Vivica A. Fox. At least we'll get some of the original cast. Still not sure about this but I'm hoping for the best as the original film is one of my all-time favorite.
I'm glad there will be some continuity with the original.  I suspect Vivica A. Fox will be back because the lead character is said to be Will Smith's son (no not his real son, Jaden Smith, but the son of 'Captain Steven Hillier'), who we saw briefly in the original.  Does this mean 'Captain Steven Hillier' will already be dead?  And where is former President Thomas Whitmore (Bill Pullman)?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

If they have to explain the whereabouts of the other characters, I hope it's a good explanation. If not it would definitely make br unhappy.

Looking forward to it nonetheless.

I fell in love with Will in the original. One of my fav ever characters so if he's not in it Kitty will has a sad. But Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman already said they're in so that will be fun. Too bad Randy Quaid's character died, he'd be perfectly at home reprising it since he's halfway to outer space now. lol

I'm 50/50 divided over the upcoming sequel. I'm absolutely thrilled it's coming. Incredible it's coming out 20 years from when the original exploded onto the screen. I was eight years old when I saw it (the only kid in the entire audience in fact lol) and I remember the cinema being packed. And I mean PACKED! Only other time I have seen this level of American cinema frenzy in a UK screening was during the previous year when Batman Forever came out. You certainly don't see that these days and sadly I doubt very much we'll see it again next year.

However I'm also well, a little depressed with the situation too lol You see I saw it with my late dad and it, like many other big 90's blockbusters, kind of defines that happier childhood time in my life when life was a little sweeter. Recently there seems to be a desire to get all nostalgic with the 1990's. Perhaps it's that time when it's come of age historically? And while I'm happy this is the case at the same time it can be agonizing to be reminded of days you just can't get back anymore. Things will get a little worse when Alien 5 is released and my dad doesn't get to see that one. Let alone his favorite character Hicks coming back from the freakin dead! The sense of irony shall not be lost.

I'm pleased to see Independence Day 2 has some enthusiasm on here. Often I read in the years since it's release opinion changed around. It sort of becomes a film to be mocked. Some can't stomach the idea of American's saving the world lol Whereas to me it's perfectly logical. Who the hell else is going to do such a task in reality anyway? France? Not bleedin likely lol As for that dated computer virus resolution?....well I bought it as a kid. I still do now, rather foolishly. No problems for me. Just a great popcorn entertainment ride. I'm looking forward to discovering more about the alien race. Maybe this time someone will finally give the buggers a name!

For me personally Jeff Goldblum was the real hero of Independence Day. Okay he's the geek and I know it's uncool to root for the geek. But nonetheless it was HE who truly saved the world. So I'm beyond pleased he's appearing and the loss of him would have been much bigger a deal to me than Mr Smith. I just found out Brent Spiner is coming back. This is most shocking to me. His character was so utterly wacky, loved him. But I really believed he was killed in that alien lab attack (which frightened the hell out of me in 96, "Releasssse...meeee..." Brrr!). I know Dean Devlin stated on the commentary he wasn't really dead but frankly I didn't believe him. I'm not sure if it spoils the scariness of that sequence to now discover he really was alive. Still the character is nuts and the sequel will benefit in having him nonetheless.

It's just a pity they cannot raise Randy Quaid's character from the dead. Nor would I want them to really. Because then you go and ruin possibly the finest (and most hilarious) exit ever in a film: "HELLO BOY'S, I'M BAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!"....